Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

So it's not a matter of the remastering team choosing to have a tighter image of the episode, but that the episode was scanned incorrectly?

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It would be the finalizing of the ep that was flawed, not the scanning.

3. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

So if they have the scanned files, why rescan them as you suggested?

4. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Possible they didn't keep backups? In any case, it would still require reassembling the entire episode I guess. Would be nice if it were cropped correctly, but for a single episode it's not a huge deal.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Was it really the entire episode that was cropped? I thought it was just a few scenes like the one in Ten-Forward.

Because if it is the entire episode, then I really DON'T see what the big deal is. Other than the poorly centered credits in the beginning, I didn't notice a problem with the framing at all (like cut off heads, etc).

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I never suggested that they should rescan the film. I said I wanted them to fix it, and FrontierTrek said that this would not be possible without rescanning. Which sounds like an excuse on CBS' part to me, but I have no info to base that off of. But how likely does it seem that they scanned everything and then discarded the digital files completely once the Blu-rays were burnt and sent out? And if it were an error in scanning, how is it that all the non-FX shots have less image and all the FX shots have extra image?

It's not a super big deal, I just wish it weren't the case. :)

7. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that was FrontierTrek. Sorry.

8. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

The 2K film scan would have been of the Full Camera Aperture (the entire exposed image -- just like what you see in the S2 gag reel). What this is about is CBS Digital doesn't want to spend the time and money to re-conform the episode from scratch by going back to the originally scanned files/tapes which they most certainly still have.

CBS's conform process is rather complicated (See here). Though you could argue that the hard part has already been done -- the correct shots have all been found. :)

9. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

The Ent-C is what it is, unfortunately. Changing it to Probert's Ambassador-class would likely piss-off as many people as it would satisfy.

As for the battle FX, I personally love them. The way the ships move and fire slowly really gives weight (literally) to them. The shot of Ent-D turning into position before the fight starts, and the firing from the trailer, are some of my favourite shots of the series. I prefer that than to see the ships zipping about like they have no mass at all.

Having said that, I do wish CBS-D would replace the Bird of Prey explosion with something a little more dimensional.

10. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a remastering, not a reimagining. They are taking the correct stance in preserving the show how it was, first and foremost.

If they want to do an alternative version as a viewing option (with new effects, new ships, whatever), they can make that decision afterwards. In the meantime, I want to see the original work as it was made in the 80s/90s, with as much clarity as possible.

Neither is okay, but the latter doesn't destroy the shot composition, so it's the lesser of two evils.

11. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sad thing with season 3 on the horizon is that we only have one more season after that of Ron Jones. TNG music became largely cookie-cutter and forgettable after he left, with a couple exceptions (Inner Light). Thanks, Rick.

Watching so much of season 1 and 2 lately, and it's quite clear from the get-go which episodes were scored by Jones. The music sets a mood, and there are actual melodies.

12. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Yeah, the music in some Season 1 episodes was really outstanding. It really resonated emotionally at times.

13. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm just going to assume when the TOS blu-rays were announced, this place went up in flames.

14. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think most people were quite pleased with the Blu-rays offering the choice of viewing options.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

It's really too bad they didn't have the original film elements for the model work on TOS though. I would have loved to have seen them after they'd been cleaned up.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yesterday I was searching around trying to find out more about Season 3, and see if a release date was out, and found an interview with Roger Ley Jr. on startrek.com. One thing that I found out was they are going to do a tribute to Michael Piller on the special features. That is cool. He really was the guy who turned TNG around and made Season 3 what it was. Still wish we knew a release date though.

17. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere (maybe on TheDigitalBits or something) that they are shooting for April.

Don't quote me on that though.

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what trekcore has said as well. I'm actually looking for when the series will be available for pre-order, since last week I got a giftcard from Amazon and kind of want to use it. I guess it doesn't matter too much since I'm using it for TNG, but I would have thought a date for pre-orders would be coming soon.

19. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would have to be April at the latest if they wanted to release 3 seasons in the year. April, August, December sounds about right.

I suppose CBS will be announcing something by the end of February.

20. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Is that confirmed is it April when S3 because this season is my favorite season some really good stories and the best cliffhanger in any Star Trek series !!! I've been looking on line with amazon uk but I can't pre order it yet.:wah::sigh: