OT: Announcing ONLY SUPERHUMAN, my first original novel!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, May 24, 2011.

1. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I made the decision a long time ago to buy dead tree versions of books I'm likely to read again from Star Trek authors. Thus far only David Mack belongs in that elite league, but this book will join it.

2. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

SOLD. :drool:

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At that price, the hardcover is probably cheaper than the ebook will be. :ouch:

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just pre-ordered the hardcover version from Amazon Canada. October is a long time to wait...but know it will be worth it. Also it is very reasonably priced for a hardcover at just over twenty bucks Canadian right now.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds cool, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. Hopefully by October my to read pile will be small enough I'll be buying books again.

6. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I need a time machine so I can get this book ASAP.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Ordered mine today. :)

8. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Is there going to be an eBook edition?

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about readin the thread?:

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I’m finally able to announce that GraphicAudio, a company that produces fully dramatized audiobook adaptations of novels, is doing an audio edition of Only Superhuman. As announced on their site, it’s scheduled for release in February 2013. As I understand it, this will be a full-cast audio drama complete with music and sound effects, more like old-time radio dramas than your typical audiobook. I’ve listened to some of the samples they have at their site, and they sound good. They appear to have their own repertory company of performers to handle the voices.

To be honest, having somewhat inherited the voice — and the hamminess — of my radio-announcer father, I’ve always kind of hoped I’d get to narrate my own audiobook. I’ve quite enjoyed it when I’ve gotten to do dramatic readings from my work at the Shore Leave convention. But it’s worth passing that up to get to hear the story fully realized in this way.

In other news, the release date is now only three weeks away! But before that, it should be available at the New York Comic-Con, where I'll be doing signings on Friday the 12th at 1:15 and Saturday the 13th at 4:45.

11. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You must be EXTREMELY excited to hear your book performed in this way. Congratulations!
    I ordered Only Superhuman a few weeks ago from Amazon, but I may need to check out the audio version as well since it sounds pretty cool itself. Reading or hearing, I'm looking forward to diving into this story sooner rather than later.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that is awesome Christopher!

13. Admiral_Young

That is exciting news Christopher. I've enjoyed the graphic novel audio adaptations of Greg Cox's DC Comics works. I'm sure that Only Superhuman will be in superb hands.

14. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

Wonderful news! I'm not familiar with the company, but it sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And today, I'm proud to announce, is the official publication date for Christopher's book!

16. NotLKH

NotLKH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Oh no! It's 9:20 AM, B&N has been open for 20 minutes! I missed the opening! Where was the count down clock! I'm stuck at work, and won't get to the store until noon or so, it'll probably be sold out by then! ...[zacharysmith]the pain, the PAIN![/zachorysmith]

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yup, the book is now officially on sale! Those of you who preordered the hardcover will be getting it shipped to you soon, and those who prefer the e-book can now download it instantly, or I guess have had it automatically downloaded by now if you preordered (I guess?).

The book made its exclusive debut at New York Comic-Con this past Friday. It was a little late getting to the Barnes & Noble table for the group signing with the Justice is Served panel I was on at the con, so I didn't get to sign any copies there (which bummed me out, but I got to hang out with the very nice and friendly Amber Benson for a bit afterwards and she helped me meet Lou Ferrigno, so that cheered me up), but the 5 PM signing at the Tor booth went very well, with a lot of people already in line before it started, and the book seemed to be selling well at the B&N booth on Saturday. One of the folks in line at the signing was TrekBBS member BritishSeaPower, and I also got to meet Julio Angel Ortiz later on at the Chronic Rift table.

18. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Purchased on Kindle.

Might not get around to reading it for a while, but Christopher is an author I know I want to support.

19. Admiral_Young

I'll be getting this on Kindle as well. Been really looking forward to it.

20. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Christopher, do you happen to know which of those resellers sells the DRM-free epub version to European audiences?

I'm almost doubly-excited here, in addition to the interest in the book itself there's the fact that I guess it's one of the first new releases under TOR's new DRM-free regimen, so there's the psychological bonus of not having to crack the DRM on this one to read it in my open source reader app. That makes a purchase much more feel like my "ally" every time. Businesses should really try to understand better how important an emotional bond to a purchase decision is, especially with digital goods where many people argue the connection is fleeting to begin with.