Norton's Trek Images

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Emperor Norton, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

I tend to make a lot of Trek art, for a variety of purposes. I'm involved in alternate history, so if I write a story of a parallel universe for the Trek universe, I try to make images. I'm likewise involved in Sim games, meaning I do images for that from time to time as well. So there's not generally one unified topic I can make just one specific thread for, so this will be like a menagerie. I also do mostly photo manipulation type stuff, and am starting to get into vectorized art too.

So, if anyone cares, I'll use this to show off some of that.

This is some stuff I've done recently for an RPG game I'm running now. And some of this, if you click on it, will open up a larger version of it.

This is an image I made to represent Captain Skarl, of the IKS Korath. This character comes from a comic sequel to "Mirror Mirror" done way back in like '97 which I had as a kid and was really my introduction to the Original Series (and confused me a lot since I didn't know about the Mirror Universe and just thought this was about the normal USS Enterprise, and excused the different costumes as normal 90s messing with the look of things to make it look cooler, which they did all the time back then. I also somehow found a way to justify them being evil as just being normal). So in honor of that, I made my character the Normal Universe version of that Klingon Lord from that comic book.

[​IMG]

And a stylized version.
    [​IMG]

And here are two propaganda posters I did for the game in order to show it off and to advertise for it. These are vectorized and stylized to try to give a very stark and basic design, and perhaps their simplicity is a bit 1960s, which matches with the fact that its set in the TOS era.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a standalone version of the second poster's image. The white area is not in this version, for some reason.

[​IMG]

And here is a Romulan symbol I did to represent that of the Star Empire in the 23rd century era. It's a vectorized drawing based on the decal on the Bird of Prey. And these are two versions. The most basic one, unfortunately, suffers from what the above image does as well, in that the white is not there for some reason, which is ok for a light forum background but not for a dark one as found here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And these are three Klingon smooth heads I did for the game as well.

This one is the elderly cook guy. I used a black and white photo of Bela Lugosi (as those are all there are in his old years), colorized in, and jiggered it onto a body taken from "Day of the Dove". I used Lugosi for a few reasons. Firstly, because his portrayal in Ed Wood is that of a dirty mouthed old man, which I loved. Second, he has a giant ape man from a Klingon slave world as his assistant cook, which plays into the mad scientist angle, and I think it's funny to have an old man yelling at this hulking assistant and calling him a moron.

[​IMG]

This one is a Scientist/Doctor character from a story.

[​IMG]

And this one is just one I did to include in the basic tutorial of what is is to be a smooth headed Klingon for players of the game. I named him Kog just to represent being basic, and gave him a background as a propaganda piece of a good Klingon to reason why he was used in the tutorial, which is based on Chinese and Vietnamese propaganda where someone dies and the party thrusts upon them being this heroic action hero figure who does everything right and is the perfect subject that the party wants, even though it's likely that's all a lie.

[​IMG]

And, really the last thing I have done so far, is a signature I had made for the RPG which I think came out rather nicely.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. Emperor Norton

These are some older things I did for an RPG game I used to run, which was set in the Nu-Trekiverse of the JJ Abrams Star Trek.

This is the image I made to represent Captain Allan Sanderson, of the USS Monitor (NCC-1218) which was a Bonaventure class ship (not the Animated Series one. The Ships of the Line one, which I love). Unfortunately, I don't really have a reasonably sized version of the full body shot, so if you click on this, you will see that, but if I just put that image right here, it'd be far too large.

[​IMG]

And a (non-player) character I had made called John Ford Mackenzie, former Captain of the Monitor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a mock up of a Ranger Class starship modified for the Nu-Trekiverse version of what Pre-TOS looked like.

[​IMG]

3. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

Nice work. Of course I recognize some of the people you chose for the characters. Josh Holloway makes a cool Klingon. The Charton Heston pic is also good. Who are the other actors you are using?

4. Emperor Norton

Thankee.

In order of the people you didn't list, Bela Lugosi, John Houseman, Paul Newman, and Sam Neill

5. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

Nice work. I particularly like Captain Skarl and the Ranger-class starship.

6. Emperor Norton

Thank you.

I made an assignment patch for the USS Alamo (NCC-1836), a Miranda class ship of the TOS era. It's part of a larger story setting which I may introduce art from here (as I do have some) called "The Lost Fleet". Basically, think VOY if it happened in TOS, and to a fleet of ships instead of just one. Dilithium can't be reenergized and needs to be renewed, replicator technology can only make food and not spare parts or anything more advanced than that, Warp speeds are a bit slower, and on top of that you have ships which are slower than the fastest ships in that group. So supplies and time are key to survival. Also, the fleet is whisked away during the brief Federation-Klingon war, so they have no idea that conflict was ended by the Organians after a couple days, and believe this massive and devastating conflict was allowed to rage on and they have no clue what world they would return to if they ever returned to the Federation.

[​IMG]

7. Emperor Norton

I've decided I'll just upload what I have from the "Lost Fleet" universe so far. The idea beyond what I stated before is that once in this far off area of the universe, they establish a New Federation since it's such an impossible task to return in most of their opinions, so they start a new life in the Delta or Gamma or wherever they are Quadrant. They settle a planet, name it Babel, and cannibalize their ships and make towns cities out of these ships named for them (so the place where the Alamo settles will be called Alamo, and be made up of the crew and their descendents). Some ships remain out there, though, in order to explore and scavange space and get supplies from traders and such, and then there's other ships that seceded from this plan and decide they want to try to make it home....and they're thwarted in numerous ways to be discovered centuries later, such as starving to death after their food synthesizers broke, or running out of dilithium or having their engines break down and being forced to live in this ship stuck in the middle of space for eons with no way to move, to crash lander into a planet, to all dying of a disease, to just doing what the others did and giving up and settling a planet somewhere along the journey.
    Eventually this New Federation does grow somewhat, encompassing a few species and colonies. Nothing on par with the real Federation, but a reasonable little space nation. And overall, the idea is to play up some TOS goodness, along with some tropes and sometimes subvert them. For example, the uniforms by the TNG era will have been pretty much the TOS uniform, but updated. And everything looks TOS, but modern.

So here are some of the images I have so far:

Logo of the Starfleet/New United Federation of Planets

[​IMG]

Uniforms of 2400

[​IMG]

And a mock up of those

[​IMG]

8. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

very nicely done work :techman:

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love the Ranger.

10. Emperor Norton

11. Emperor Norton

Here's a kitbash I did for the Klingon Conquest of Earth at First Contact Timeline I have been working on. It's an Earth Regional Defense Force vessel. It's a DY-500 kitbashed with a D-7 based on the idea that the last design lineage for Earth by that time would have been the DY-series.

[​IMG]

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool design there :) :techman:

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It fits!

14. Emperor Norton

Thankee

Here is my symbol for the Cardassian Republic (19th century-Early 24th century?), which existed before the military took over (the Cardassian in the 4 lights episode stated that his childhood was under a Cardassia which was starving before the military took over, hence the rise of the Cardassian dictatorial state had to have come after that childhood, which would have been, given lifespans, probably around the early 24th century). It is based on a decal on a Cardassian building.

[​IMG]

Like many things, this is for my TOS RPG to help flesh out the universe. I have a encyclopedic area for the TOS universe of the time and how everything is at the time. The Cardassians of these time don't really mean much. They're a small nation, with limited resources, who are like the Federation in a belief in culture and art and improvement and so on, but have none of the resources the UFP does. So they don't appear like they'll ever matter.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  15. Kaiser

very cool :)

Kinda makes me wonder why if Cardassian Republic was so broke why they didnt ask for help or try joining the Federation? :confused:

16. Emperor Norton

Thankee.

And maybe they did ask for help, and maybe even received it before the Military took control. If they were a charity case, maybe the UFP couldn't or wouldn't offer enough to help, or maybe the UFP just lumped them in with a number of other powers across massive light years of space and didn't give them help.

17. Kaiser

ahh makes sense :)

18. Emperor Norton

Epiphany: Maybe that explains the Cardassian on the Enterprise-D bridge in "Parallels"?

19. Emperor Norton

An Aurelian Captain I made as an NPC for a TOS RPG game I'm running (click for bigger).

[​IMG]

20. Emperor Norton

Scarred Captain from same setting:

[​IMG]

USS Darius (NCC-502) Patch:

[​IMG]

USS Ryukyu (NCC-879) patch

[​IMG]

USS Carolina (NCC-663) patch

[​IMG]