The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Jan 28, 2012.

1. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Right! I also forgot the stern talk between Riker and Picard in the Observation Lounge that ends with Riker grinning like crazy.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

To be fair, pretty much all of Riker's scenes in the first two seasons ended with him grinning like crazy.

3. gaghyogi49

First image coming to my mind: Brenna Odell dropping her dress ;-)

4. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IIRC, the original story was just the Bandii station and the alien creatures.

Edit: here's the quote

5. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

left one thing out...how could i forget this!?!?

The Excelsior looks AMAZING in HD, the way it should.
    the detail of that model alone is unfit for use in SD.

Seeing it in HD reminds me how grand she looks in the films.

6. gaghyogi49

Indeed, the ship looks great in HD! I just don't know why the flashing ventral position light was not kept in the HD episode.

7. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched Sins of the Father, man it looked great. I can't wait to rematch the Klingon Civil War arc in HD. The Detail on the Klingon outfits is very nice, I expected them too look a bit cheap or fake but you can really see the work that was put into the costumes.

8. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

now you can really see the Klingons teeth.

they must use a whitener on the bottom of their chompers LOL.

9. Trekker4747

For the most part I think the makeup holds up, the Klingon make-up looks good, Data's make-up looks good (though in at least Encounter you can see him leave residue on surfaces he touches.) The only thing that doesn't hold up for me is the old age make up in TIL particularly the aging bald wig/hair used on Stewart.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It was definitely a bit weird seeing Worf's Season 1 makeup in such great detail. Before this, the only clear shots were in a handful of publicity photos.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And where's the actual story?

12. Trekker4747

For what it is worth the Q-Trial did give an overall theme and arc for the entire series.

13. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

BTW has it been noted that you can watch the episode with the Okudagram menu up on the screen? It's pretty cool, and we should suggest to the powers that be, that it would be a good option to to offer to fill the pillar box on the right and left for all the seasons with fun animated Okudagrams.

Just start an episode and hit the menu button (this works on the PS3) The episode continues to play but the right (and left if you want) are populated by the Okuda menu.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I never noticed it before, but even though there's no hint beforehand that he cares about humanity, there are several times at the end where Q actually seems to help Picard out.

Such as when Picard is about to fire on the alien ship, and Q jumps in to criticize the idea. Or when he continually hints that there is more to the alien ship than appears on the surface.

All Q had to do was shut up, and his point would have most likely been proven for him. Lol

15. Trekker4747

It's a running theme in the series and the series "arc" if you will. The show was about how much potential for good humanity has and the show was about "proving that" to The Q, as he said at the end of the series "The trial never ended, no verdict was reached."

So putting Q into the pilot essentially set the tone and arc for the series and, yes, it always seemed that Q had an active interest in Picard and the rest of the crew to see them at their best potential. Even Data remarks at this at some point suggesting that Q was never very adversarial towards the Enterprise crew but saw them more "as pets."

16. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder on the look of Encounter at Farpoint, on how much better the image looks. What we owe the different Director of Photography, and how much we owe it for being the pilot, which means more time for set ups, and in general over all stronger production values.

17. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Q Trial was the best part of the episode!! Without it, the whole thing would have been boredom city. At least with the trial there is a sense of urgency to solve the problem what would have been missing without it.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I noticed that too. :lol:

19. Ryann866

Ryann866 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How long till the boards light up with everyone pointing out the new found inconsistencies in character details, NCC numbers, etc. now that we can read in close up HD most of the Okudagrams?

20. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

You forgot to mention, the "great pain!" :rommie: