"Best of both Worlds" - Special Bluray Release

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TrekCore states, that the two-parter BOBW is going to be released as a single Bluray:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01072013_s3bobw.html

2. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is pretty cool! I wonder what it will cost though? Considering it comes out the same day as season 3 not sure I will want to spend money on that too. But if the price is right may go for it!!

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This is simply at the bottom of my list of upcoming Trek purchases (along with Enterprise season one). If I wasn't planning on buying seasons three and four, I'd probably buy it but not in addition to them.

4. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

One thing that always annoyed me with BOBW was how Picard's borg appearance changed between part 1 and part 2. The eye piece is completely different. I liked the look from part 1 better. Going to be strange when they piece it together and suddenly he has a different piece of eye gear. lol

5. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Do you mean his partially assimilated appearance in the cliffhanger and then fully assimilated in the battle to retrieve him? If so I think it was intentional.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It doesn't just magically change between episodes though. It's changed off screen as The Borg continue to update him, so to speak. (Just as they also do in part 1.)

That said, I also prefer the early version.

Edit: ^ What Mick says. ;)

7. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I think it would be a good opportunity to make a (world)wider promotion for TNG on blu-ray by adding other additional language tracks and subtitles. E.g. Brazil is unfortunately left aside with a (on DVD) existing but on BD missing dub although it has a fast growing market for such products (I still think it's a marketing error not to have portuguese on the BDs). I think that there would be disc space still available for these additional language options.

It would/could be an additional convincing point for buying the disc besides the season set(s).

8. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure if I'd like a feature-length edit... Woudl it not rob us of what is arguably the best musical cue EVER in TNG, at the end of BoBW Part I?

Mark

Mike McDevitt likes this.
  9. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Feature length cuts have been done before for home video, mainly in the UK, and they’re so that they fit the new format. Specifically, “removing the recap and title sequence at the top of part 2, putting credits for both parts at the top of Act One of part 1, and in some cases re-editing cliffhanger resolutions (for “The Best of Both Worlds”, the build-up to the firing of the deflector weapon in Part II is omitted). ”
    More information here: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_-_The_Full_Length_TV_Movies

10. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

The fan in me would want to get this along with S3 and 4, but I'll probably just stick to S3 and 4 individually unless there's really something extra in this unified package.

Can't wait to see the cliffhanger in theaters though!

11. trekker670

Agreed, if I get this, it'll be for any exclusive special features.

12. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw this over on Trekmovie:
    http://trekmovie.com/2013/01/07/sta...best-of-both-worlds-special-edition-in-april/

Not sure if that means the commentary will ONLY be on this separate release or if the commentary will be split up between season 3 and 4 for the season sets? Looks like it will also have other special features as well. Although again I wonder if they are exclusive or will be split up between season 3 and 4? I would think BOBW would be getting special features on the season sets as well since it was such a pivotal 2 part episode.

13. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

So far the only Feature Length cut of TNG episodes that have been released in Region 1 (Canada/US) has been the feature-length edit of Chains of Command from the Captain's Log box set a few years ago.

But I wonder if with this, if they found any additional scene's, they might insert them into the feature-length edit?

14. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Still got mine on VHS I watched it that much I snapped the tape !!!! Mr Worf Fire !!!!!

15. trekker670

I would hope they would, but I find it unlikely.

16. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Well, let's just hope that this release is made world wide and not just in Australia.

17. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

If they're smart, they'll include an isolated score (with commentary in between cues by Ron Jones). I don't think they'll be smart.

18. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A few points of clarification:

* The release is worldwide, not just Australia
    * The seasons sets will still be definitive, this release is a great intro or standalone for those who don't want or can't afford the season sets
    * Bonus features will be exclusive to the disc at the time of release (although I expect them to be included with Season 4)

19. trekker670

Can you get CBS to confirm or deny this? There's no point in me shelling out the cash for a duplicate release if I don't have to. Also how will this relate to commentaries? Will the commentary released on the feature length version be the same as the one on part I and II separately (just split up)?

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think it would be smart to put The Best of Both Worlds SE on DVD as well. Might get some people to convert to Blu-ray when they see all the work that was done on the series. :techman: