*Spock/Zachary Quinto Appreciation Zone*

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cassy4, Jun 28, 2009.

1. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Crusher Disciple is the crazy chick from Texas.

2. diftorhehsmusma

diftorhehsmusma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

aaahhhh.... i had my suspicions. but then why would karl recognise her? is she stalking him too? :P

3. trampledamage

Yep :lol:

Before her attentions were bewitched by Zachary. ;)

4. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Man, I leave for 15 minutes to put on a mud masque and all hell breaks loose. :guffaw:

To quote Chris about the press tour, "It's the 'Star Trek Circus-' we're in town today."

5. NileQT87

NileQT87 Commander Red Shirt

As for fanvids feeling "stalkerish", I don't see that at all. I see them as fan creativity; taking the well-known clips and essentially exploring different connections between them along with music. Sometimes they can even clue you into bits of foreshadowing you didn't notice before, compare and contrast, be a humorous parody or even pack an even bigger emotional punch than ever before. They're great for character studies. And of course, there's always the lovely tribute-style videos. Some are totally superficial and some are actually quite dramatic, scary, funny, just random badassery, etc...

I'm personally a fan of vidding (and have made a few to various fandoms, myself), but each to his/her own.

I would say that Bordeaux video is my favorite thing on his site. Awesome.

Here's a Star Trek XI (entire cast) video that was nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ojqReBm0Rw

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  6. Crusher Disciple

Is there a good place to learn how to do a fanvid? Or how to do video editing and loading up to You Tube and the whole shebang?

I'm working on writing and directing a web series and I wanted to know how if case I have trouble finding a camera person and editor who will work for peanuts.

7. diftorhehsmusma

hey now, nile, i never said they were "stalkerish" i said some of them made me feel creepy. i just get an impression of goofy girly fandom from some of them. and after a while i grew weary of trying to wade through them to find the good ones. didn't mean to be down on it as a whole. we've all been guilty of goofy fandom at some point, but in deference to the human being on the other side of the stuff i like, i try to temper myself with a nice dose of hard reality. that's all. some of the links that have been posted here were fun. (plus i am just very picky about music, and it seems like a lot of people, from my perspective, pick some awful stuff for their videos. but i think that's just me.)

8. trampledamage

I switch the sound off on any video that has a music track. It's just easier that way :)

9. NileQT87

NileQT87 Commander Red Shirt

You should see the videos I think are crap (and thus don't favorite). Those were the cream of the crop as far as videos go. And you can narrow them even further.

Eh, those were the ones where I didn't think the music was too painful (or at least it was just really funny). And believe me, there are a lot of fanvids that are painful in ways I can't even finish (it also helps if the clip quality and editing is up to snuff). Perhaps to different people. Certain songs have me clicking away within seconds of opening a video.

I just use cheap-o Windows Movie Maker, which, as long as you don't use their titles (at least change the fonts and background color) and NONE of the horrible filters (they are a dead giveaway), shouldn't look too obvious. Most people use WMM, but there are some people with rather snazzy editing programs that do all those crazy things with zooms, cut-outs, overlays and colors.

An example of snazzy advanced programs vs. WMM:
    Snazzy effects at an advanced level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYeAwrKqWAs / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RQ9jVKmyx8
    Mostly straight-forward, but a little more than just straight clips (use of blackouts and slight clip alteration--flipping, in this case--a good example of a "character study" video--also an example of a video that mixes music with unobtrusive dialog clips): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfTDs44-n5c
    WMM normal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4zzxkzcG4Y / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZVpO26q-KQ (also a good example of comical song/clip association)
    a good WMM edit job that needs to remove the DivX logo (a big no-no you have to learn how to disable in the DivX preferences): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_28msDuQc

And then there are the poor-quality footage, inept editing (either not enough cutting--you've got to severely chop anything conversational--or obtrusive video sounds) or picture videos which are bottom of the barrel.

You can kind of get an idea of what to do and not to do with videos from that. The best ones have some match between the lyrics and what's being shown on the video. The poor quality edit-jobs are often ones that reuse a limited amount of clips or don't edit fluidly and with enough of a selection of clips. And it's very tough to make a picture slide show even watchable.

I'm not particularly a fan of the non-canon rewriting/alternate universe-type fanvids. They just end up ticking me off because I'm familiar with where all the clips came from and their original contexts. A good example of that are a lot of "Sylaire" fanvids--the only ones I can stand are the ones that are honest about what their story is. Biased videos that are all about putting down one character are also a big turn-off (rampant in the Whedon fanbase in regards to Bangel vs. Spuffy or Angel vs. Spike).

An example of AU that I just can't get behind is Spock/Kirk. I've never been a slash fan.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  10. diftorhehsmusma

OMG i would never have watched that 'bohemian rhapsody' one otherwise, but that second part had me rolling. very funny. :lol:

i agree that the picture slideshow ones suck. seems like there are way too many of them.

i have no idea what this means. AU? slash? what does guns'n'roses have to do with any of this? :p

11. trampledamage

AU is alternate universe (i.e. making stuff up to suit ourselves)

Slash is the term used for describing fan-fiction centred around specific pairings - coming from the description "Kirk/Spock" for example. It makes more sense to me to use it to describe any pairing, but general usage these days is specifically homosexual pairings.

12. diftorhehsmusma

ah, i get it. interesting.... altho' fanfic has never been my thing. in that way, i guess i am a canonite. :p i can see why it would be fun, but it does seem to tend to run to topics that are either self-serving for the author or just out there.

and i have to agree that a spock/kirk pairing would be just.... out there. nothing against homosexual men, but dammit, that kinda takes away from a lot of the whole exploring the galaxy thing. isn't one of the best things about trek the fact that they get to go do and see things that we can only dream about? i know plenty of gay men. none of them are vulcan, admittedly.... do vulcans even do that kind of thing? it brings up so many questions.... and seems distracting from the main ideas of trek.

speaking of which, when we gonna get more yummy quinto pics?

13. trampledamage

There are some very good writers here in our fan-fiction forum if you want to take a look. They go in more for creating real stories, not the "daydream" style. I've never dared go to somewhere like fanfiction.net :eek:

Can't help with Zachary pics, I just collect Karl ;)

14. diftorhehsmusma

yeah, it can be scary. sorry to be blunt, what that's how i see it.
    what do you mean by 'real' stories? like as in, filling in details of stuff we already know?

LOL i hope your karl collection is vast and varied! is there a thread on here for him? there should be. i suppose i could just seek out some of zach for myself....

15. trampledamage

Is there a thread on Karl, she asks :lol:

Of course there is (I think we're at 50 or so pages, so settle in for some serious eye candy ;) )

Don't mind you being blunt about fan-fiction at all - most of it is sheer dross. But there is some good stuff and since I like it, I like to share it too :)

What I mean by 'real' stories is that they write properly constructed plots, with well-created characters. Like actual Trek Lit. Most of the stories aren't filling details as such because the authors have chosen to create a new corner of the Trek universe, but it's all true to Trek, and damn good writing.

16. diftorhehsmusma

YAY!!

that DOES sound fun. i wonder if i should venture into that world, tho' - i am *attmepting* to refrain from diving head-first into the bottomless chasm of fandom.... :p and not seemingly succeeding much....

17. Crusher Disciple

Really, do you think we're amateurs or something? ;):rommie:

Of course there's a massive, drool infested thread complete with Muddy popping Excedrine to try and keep up with the headache the squealing causes.

18. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

^And its entertaining a plenty :D

19. diftorhehsmusma

silly me.... but i had to ask cause i didn't know. and now i don't have to go searching! thanks!

20. Crusher Disciple

Hey, we got you covered, mi amigo. :D