Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Bald guy in a paramilitary cap is out then?

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm just fed up wiith the character after watching her be badly written for eight years of Smallville. If I never see her again in a Superman movie, it will be too soon.

It still weirds me out that Diane Lane who plays Martha Kent is only ten years older than Amy Adams. Does this mean that in the movie Martha will be ten years older than Lois? :rommie:

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt Lana will be in this movie...perhaps we'll get a reference to her or something.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm still not sure of Amy Adams as Lois will be good. She seems too nice to be an tough reporter. It feels like Adams would be better as a Disney Princess or someone in a Muppets movie instead of being in Superman.

5. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't got that far in those voluminous tomes yet, but I like how the New Krypton Zod was apparently slightly less of a Space Hitler.

It's pretty preposterously easy to be at odds with Superman, because of his insane black-and-white morality and morally questionable refusal to intervene in political issues. You don't need a Space Hitler to get on his bad side. A Space Churchill more than suffice.

Makes sense to me. Lois should always be somewhat older than Clark. Ten to fifteen years is perhaps pushing it, but as far as I can recall she's always been portrayed as very well-established before he even shows up in Metropolis. I think a five to eight year age gap is totally reasonable, and almost unavoidable. Of course, you'd never know it because she's routinely drawn, as all comic book women are, as between the ages of 18 and 25.

Weirdly, that's my favorite Zod. That is, with the modifications I make in my head so that he doesn't look completely ridiculous, i.e. dressing like a 1930s European dictator despite the fact he's from another planet and, like, what, a thousand years old or something?

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Christian Bale was once a singing and dancing newsboy in a Disney film. They never should have cast him as Batman based on that.

7. Admiral_Young

^^ There were rumors that they were going to use the Russian dictator version of Zod when he was first cast.

@Dream you should see Amy Adams in "Doubt" then or "Sunshine Cleaning". Or better yet "The Fighter".

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The synopsis sounds pretty accurate.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The synopsis is incredibly vague. Well at least the synopsis doesn't say "Superman stalks Lois for 2 hours then lifts an island while someone else does something more heroic than him".

11. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeeg.

12. Admiral_Young

Again the article with the synopsis quotes comicbookmovies which in turn says it is casting call info for Vancouver Island (they'll be shooting Autumn Frost starting next summer) and the article does indeed say it that is vague so we still do not have an OFFICIALLY released WB/DC Ent "Man of Steel" plot synopsis. I just thought the article was interesting enough to post anyways.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Just by loose appearance and associates. The execution of the character is very different, I feel.

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Lana was my favorite character on SMALLVILLE. [​IMG]

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Smallville wasn't a Superman show; it was some kind of fungus.

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Makes sense to me. Lois should always be somewhat older than Clark.[/QUOTE]

For me, at least, the weird part is that they are most likely doing that "Hollywood ageism" thing with Diane Lane and casting a woman as older than she is. It seems that, once a woman not named "Julia Roberts" hits 40, she's suddenly only fit for "mom" roles.

And, to make matters worse, the "mom" is often an actress not much older than the person playing her "son" or "daughter." For example, see "Christmas Vacation," where Diane Ladd played Chevy Chase's mother (while being only about 11 years older).

17. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me, at least, the weird part is that they are most likely doing that "Hollywood ageism" thing with Diane Lane and casting a woman as older than she is. It seems that, once a woman not named "Julia Roberts" hits 40, she's suddenly only fit for "mom" roles.

And, to make matters worse, the "mom" is often an actress not much older than the person playing her "son" or "daughter." For example, see "Christmas Vacation," where Diane Ladd played Chevy Chase's mother (while being only about 11 years older).[/QUOTE]

It also depends when in the story she is seen. If she primarily interacts with a child Clark, then her being ~40 with a child makes sense. That could easily stretch the age difference with adult Lois/Clark to 20-30 years. It's also easier to use makeup to make her older for 1 scene than it is to make her appear younger for an extended period of time.

Remember, Chris Hemsworth is YOUNGER than Chris Pine, and Jennifer Morrison is only 1 year older.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Synopsis is vague, but it does suggest this won't be just another simplistic origin story, and that there will be some tough decisions and moral quandaries for Superman to also deal with, which is good.

20. Admiral_Young

For reference I would suggest reading "Birthright" and "Secret Origin" (especially Birthright) as I have long suspected that this is the majority of where the source material is coming from if it is indeed a personal journey story.