Person of Interest Season 3

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob Morton, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I personally don't think so.

But I guess it is a possibility.

Listening to Finch's bud (from WH13 :lol:) I don't think his worked.

But it will be interesting to see if we end up with dueling programs.

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^So they will try to turn Samaritan into The Machine's evil twin. That should be interesting.

3. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It’s sounding like that, isn’t it.

But I think we’re all missing THE most important question here...

WHERE THE HELL IS BEAR???????

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a surprising lack of interest on this board regarding this show. Do most people think it's just another CBS show that fits in between NCIS and CSI?

Well Reese got to be a front-and-center badass again and now the team is back together, minus Root. But now we have to wait until February for the next new episode. :(

5. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^I've always wondered why there's a lack of discussion for this show. I figured in the beginning is was the episodic nature of the show. This season the serialization has really kicked up, yet the posts remain about the same. Maybe next season we can put it in the SF&F forum and see if there's more active interest.

The most recent episodes have me fearing the Machine itself may become the enemy in the future. It's definitely becoming more bold in it's interactions with the world; speaking more or less directly to Control about how it guards, protects and wants to save us, how it sees Reese and the team as it's assets, and manipulating reality in real-time to get Reese on the required plane. You have to wonder what other actions it's taking to achieve it's own goals. I also wonder about how the Machine will react when a new member of it's own kind (Samaritan) starts to invade.

Interesting stuff coming up to be sure.

6. auntiehill

I have a great deal of interest in this show, but I've fallen behind in my viewing. I didn't want to check in until I'd watched this week's episode.

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ It's a really good one.

Pretty convenient that there just happened to be a runway nearby.

8. auntiehill

OK, just finished it. That WAS a good episode. One question, though. I don't know much about planes but don't the brakes have to be applied manually?

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

^ Yes and no. They have auto-landing/braking systems, but it's more complex then just pushing a button and sitting back while the plane lands itself.

I was saying in another thread how the interaction between The Machine (through Root) and Control gave off a serious Asimov-ian Three Laws vibe, and how the stories became about the robots finding new ways to interpret the Three Laws to "save humanity from itself" in their view. The Machine is certainly taking on a parental (maternal in Root's view) air when dealing with humans, and Root sees it as nothing less than a new God of a sort. Hopefully Finch will be able to convince it to curb its more forceful instincts before it gets so far out of hand that it must be destroyed. It's already to the point of forcing Reese to do its bidding and letting Root repeatedly suffer for the "greater good," which are troubling signs.

10. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

One of my oldest friends wrote an article about the show and current real life events for The New Yorker website.

11. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I think my favourite bit of the episode was when Finch mentioned Grace at the end. Glad the team is back together, although it was nice to get something a little different this week.

12. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing. :techman:

I loved that final scene in Italy. It felt a bit like a continuation of Alfred seeing Bruce Wayne in the cafe at the end of TDKR, which may have been intentional given the producer.

13. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I thought that scene felt familiar. Thanks for reminding me.

14. auntiehill

Good point, Locutus. I hadn't even thought of that.

15. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm happy that Root is now in the main title sequence. Can anyone remember what the Machine labeled her as? "Analog" something?

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think it has happened in the season 2 finale when the Machine rebooted itself and Root was the first to get Admin access for 24 hours. If you notice she also has a special Marker around her.. black with yellow edges which according to the PoI Wiki means she's labeled as being able to communicate directly with the Machine. According to the Wiki it's called an Analog Interface (the Machine could sure still learn something about proper human etiquette :)).

Liked the plane episode because it was a little bit ridiculous.. at one point i thought if the plane carried the yearly Assassin's convention which all had the same goal :lol: Reese came back a little too quick but then again they need to move forward and extending his behaviour through the rest of the season would make it unnecessary hard.

I'm really curious to see where they will go with Samaritan.. can you imagine how frightening an AI war would be should they be able to turn Samaritan and make it evil?

Another point:
    Why the garbled, robotic message type from the Machine? A machine that advanced could surely simulate human language.. if Apple can do it reasonably well with Siri the Machine should be able to imitate language patterns very easily. Not that it's bothering me but i'm just asking myself why.

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I thought the plane episode was preposterous, but saved by the ending scene.

Control torturing Root, and the turnaround there, was pretty intense. Good stuff.

:techman:

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's been in the opening sequence as "analog interface" since the beginning of the season. Maybe with Carter out of the sequence, you can see Root for an extra second. :shrug:

19. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really? I must not have been paying enough attention to the opening until the latest episode. Could've sworn it was shiny and new.

Thanks to FPAlpha and Aragorn for the answer to my question.

20. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Yeah, Root has been in the opening titles this season, just earlier in them originally. I think more around the point where the narration says "violent crimes involving ordinary people"