Question about Batman's tactic in Dark Knight

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Sisko_is_my_captain, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

yeah that's what I thought. Nolan couldn't bother to show us the scene.. it's only three seconds.. it's like the whole movie aside from the prologue is a montage.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

To be honest I was kinda disappointed that it WAS just a ruse. For a minute there it really felt like Nolan was doing something bold and unexpected by killing off such an established character, and it really made me sit up and think "holy shit, anything can happen in this movie now!"

The reveal that Gordon was the one driving the truck was certainly a good one, but I also can't help but be a bit disappointed that Nolan didn't try to shake things up more than he did.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Nah, there's no way they would have killed Gordon, especially before he was made Police Commissioner; he's too much a part of the Batman lore/mythos. That's a flaw the Burton/Shumacher films had: an under use of Gordon.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

To be far Two-face probably IS dead.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

He's dead, Jim.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'd actually read shortly before seeing the movie that Gary Oldman wanted out of his contract. So I was prepared to believe that Gordon was dead, comic continuity or significance bedammned. I thought the whole sequence worked really well.

In hindsight, I've wondered if the story about Oldman, who as we know is back for TDKR, was planted by the movie-makers to fool people like me.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

True, but we knew Nolan was only going to be making 2 or 3 of these movies, and then the story would most likely be rebooted yet again with a new style and director. So why NOT do something really big and shocking, and shake things up?

(Of course I also think the movie wimped out by not having the people on the ferry blow themselves up, so maybe I just have a weakness for really dark and tragic endings. lol)

9. Set Harth

I can buy the ferry with the "normal people" not blowing up the other boat. Maybe. With some degree of squinting. Perhaps.

But the prisoners so totally would have nuked the other boat.

That's why they're prisoners in the first place.

They're not nice people.

10. Trekker4747

Well... First off the prisoners didn't have control of the detonator, the warden/police did and were holding the prisoners at bay with weapons. Saying prisoners "aren't nice people" is sort of mis-representing prisoners they could be any mix of people imprisoned for any number of reasons. And I actually liked what happened on the prisoner side of things with the guy taking the detonator and just tossing it out the window.

11. Set Harth

These are criminals put away by Dent, if I'm not mistaken. They're hardcore felons, not people rounded up for unpaid parking tickets or smoking a doobie.

12. Trekker4747

Dent was the DA, strictly speaking any criminal put in prison was "put there by him." And even if it was part of the large mob take down, that could range from the mob bosses to the made men down to the soldiers. So anything from crime-lords to the bitches who do the grunt work in the mob. They were also prisoners so, no, they wouldn't be the guys in jail for unpaid tickets or smoking a J, but still in prison there's ranges of criminals from people with too many DUIs, to car thieves up to your murderers.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It was a boat full of people who committed tax fraud! :eek:

14. Trekker4747

Nah, they'd all be in Arkham's White Collar Wing which is surprisingly nice and the uniforms are tennis shorts, polo shirts, Argyle socks and the sweater tied around their neck like a cape.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That's where they were being transported. Duh.

16. Set Harth

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, the scene was mostly about challenging your preconceptions by having the frightening criminal be the one who makes the clear moral choice, so in that sense I can see how people might find it a bit preachy and unrealistic, but I still liked it.

In regards to Set Harth's point, while they were a bunch of murderers, enforcers, and thugs, no one wants to be manipulated, not even criminals.

I could also easily see someone who might have no compunction against murdering a rival or a witness be opposed to being forced to commit the mass murder of innocent people by a terrorist. The mob has helped out during national, regional, or local crises before, even while still being scumbag criminals and opposing law enforcement (see the Japanese Yakuza's volunteerism during the recent Japanese earthquake/tsunami for one example). You can be a dirtbag and still do the moral thing every once in a while.

18. Set Harth

No one wants to be manipulated, but if you're a thug type and your choices seem limited to:

1) allow yourself to be manipulated
    2) probably get blowed up real good

...you're probably going to go with (2). Manipulated and alive is better than not manipulated and blowed up.

19. Trekker4747

Again, Harvey was the (a) DA. All criminals in the prison system are "his" and I doubt the joker is going to be one to parse his words when it comes to distinguishing between a murderer and a car thief.

And what made interesting was how on the prisoner boat the stand-out prisoner stood out and easily made the "right" choice, where as on the civilian boat the civilians actually considered blowing up the detonator and the most vocal of the civilians actually made an active attempt to use it!

Funnily, no one considered that The Joker had gave them their OWN detonator and just played the "you have the other one" card to see what would happen. Hell, it wouldn't have even had been beyond The Joker to have still blown the other boat up at the end just because of his love of chaos.

20. Set Harth

I would assume he says "most wanted" for a reason.