What Scifi movies or tv shows will you show your children?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

So i've been pondering this idea for sometime. I'm not married but i've been thinking about what iconic scifi shows or TV shows i'd like to show my future kids.

Back to the future and Star Wars are obviously my big two.

Robocop will probably be when they're older.

I'm wondering how i'll tackle the new series of Doctor since we're coming up on 8 years already. I'd like to show them a bit of Eccelston the some Tennant and all of Matt Smith's era

Question for those with kids already. How do you go through a season of a show when there's so many everyday distractions.

How long does it take to complete a season? I assume watching one episode a day would be like brainwashing IMO.

It just boggles my mind to wonder how some people can show their kids one entire season(22 episodes of Enterprise for example)

With kids these day's having shorter attention spans how do they watch a 45 minute episode?

2. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

My 6 yr old and I are working our way through Eureka on Netflix. We watch an episode during dinner.

As for iconic movies/shows- Both of my kids have seen E.T. and liked it. The older one has watched the Paul Dini Batman series, and is currently hot and bothered over ReBoot. He's watched most of Warehouse 13 with us, seen a bunch of Stargate SG-1 and he's watched Firefly all of the way through. Farscape failed to hold his interest, though.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've been doing this with my son for years, via rerund and DVD's. He's not seen many complete runs, but he's now 15 and going through my Firefly DVDs rapidly. He also watches the modern 'fluff' like Warehouse 13.

Thinking about what shows from the past were really worth showing him just shows just how crap most of it was though.

Star Wars naturally.

TOS, TNG and DS9 plus season 4 of Enterprise.

Nu Galactica.

All sorts of Dr Who.

I'm going to try him on The X-Files, Blakes 7 and Old Galactica. I think he'll like The X-Files, be O.K. with Galactica, but I don't think he will have much good to say about Blakes 7.

I wouldn't try him with crud like Lost In Space, Land Of The Giants etc. even if I owned it. I struggle with the concept that anyone watched it back in the day. I didn't...

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

My youngest brother is currently exposing my nieces to classic TOS. I hear it's going well, although the Salt Vampire spooked them. An older niece got hooked on Smallville, even though she didn't know anything about comic books or Superman.

Hard to say what might appeal to them when they're older. The Twilight Zone is timeless, of course, provided they can get past the black-and-white business. And I like to think that Buffy will age well. Witty dialogue, engaging characters, and teenage angst never go out of style.

Nostalgia aside, some stuff ages better than others. Most of the Trek shows hold up well, as well as classics like The Avengers or The Outer Limits, but I wouldn't dream of subjecting a younger person to original-recipe Dark Shadows or The Green Hornet, no matter how I might have enjoyed them back when I was a kid.

Not sure about Kolchak:The Night Stalker. The dialogue and writing probably hold up, but the bargain-basement monsters and makeup might be a turnoff for the younger generation.

P.S. I don't think it's the length of older shows that's an issue as much as the pacing. Older shows and movies just tend to be slower and talkier by modern standards.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

TOS MASH and Barney Miller, to see how people should talk to each other. Very Humanizing. The closest we got to that in comics was CONCRETE

6. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    My five year old loves the old animated Star Trek and Godzilla cartoons, also the new Transformers Rescue Bots series. He also loves the old Superfriends show.

We try not to do a whole lot of TV, it really isn't that great for kids. We do watch some, because I want to share these stories with him, but I'm not going to force anything that may bother him.

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Battlestar Galactica (both versions, though nuBSG when they're older...)

Stargate SG-1

Space: Above and Beyond

Star Wars (Original trilogy)

The Twilight Zone (Original series)

Basically, any sci-fi i've ever liked and he or she is willing to sit through...

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Oh, throw in the original Planet of the Apes movies, which seem to have cross-generational appeal as well . . ..

My youngest brother adores them, even though he wasn't even born when they were first released.

9. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

My six-year old daughter and I have sat through the entire Beast Wars/Machines series ... twice. :techman:

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Well, I don't have any kids and never will.

However, I have already shown my nieces and nephews:

Pushing Daisies
    Survivors
    The Walking Dead
    Doctor Who
    Firefly
    LOST
    The Avengers
    Star Trek (Abrams)
    LOTR & The Hobbit
    Planet of the Apes (new)

If given a chance, I will also show them The Prisoner, Blake's 7, The Twilight Zone, SG1, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and many more.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I will show my god-daughter (one day, when she's old enough):
    Silent Running
    2010 (for Mirren)
    Stargate SG-1 (for Carter/Tapping)
    Sanctuary (ditto)
    nuBSG

and Trek of course.

12. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know how old your son is, but when he gets to 11 or 12, Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman. He won't care how corny it can get, he'll be transfixed.

13. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This exactly. My kids had problems with Kolchak because of the pacing. To them, it took him too darn long to get to the action as the end of the episode. I remember him walking, exploring, getting startled and then confronting the episodes MOTW. It got boring for my kids.

Now that they are adults, they watch it, but are still a little antsy.

14. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

I'm unlikely to have children, but in my opinion, all kids should get the chance to see Thunderbirds.

15. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'd show them anything from my collection provided that they're the right ages for the various titles. I'd also probably introduce them to my larger anime collection.

16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

My kids like any animation like Star Wars Clone Wars, Ben 10 and my TAS DVDs.
    My 9 year old watches TOS I think to be with me and because I have some of the toys like the Mugatu and the Gorn and Khhhhaaaaannnn.
    He watches the TOS movies with me. I thought he'd be scared by the worm thing in the ear in TWOK but he tells me its not a real worm - its only a movie Mum. He's more scared by reality TV than by any movies. The Hobbit movie was too long for him.
    He really doesn't have the patience for any other TV series except he used to watch Cleopatra 2525? with me when he was 5 or something