Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

There was a post by notch ages ago about floating blocks, and how he didn't like them. He said something about not getting rid of them, but maybe making you need to use some Obsidian to keep them floating. Or something like that.

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*currently taking all my willpower to NOT make a snarky comment about Roberts new avatar.

Thanks guys. This thing is stressful as hell to build though. Constantly teeterign on the edge of a 500 foot drop, praying your finger doesn't slip off the Crawl key.

That would be a fail of epic proportions. Imagine updating your game then logging in just in time to see your unsupported structures and floating islands all come crashing to the ground.

Robert - Thats how my minecart system got started in my previous world. I put down random torches in the area around my house, then next time I respawned, I put down a trail of blocks leading from the spawnpoint back to closest torch. Eventually it turned into a raised pathway and a tiny shelter by the spawnpoint then later a stone tower and track system.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

:lol: My new profile is entirely in jest, so snarky comments are welcome.

I foresee a mod that will do this so people can record it and post it on YouTube. :lol: The Skyfall Mod!

Yeah, once I get enough iron I will probably lay down some minecarts. So far, we're all keeping our structures connected, primarily through existing underground caves. It's kind of nice to have a house built into the walls of a cave. :)

4. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

New update, but the only new thing (except removing the April Fools-chests), are that beds finally work as Spawn point.
    )
    Annoying thing: I went far, far away and finally found a wolf. And died shortly thereafter. The lastest Coe's Quest does seem to point to the fact that wolves doesn't teleport to spawn if they are in unloaded chunks (which means that I have to find my way back to that small island to reclaim my poor wolf). If beds as spawn had worked when I did my trip this wouldn't have been an issue, because I would have spawned not far away from where I died.

5. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

On the problem of logging in a seeing the world fall, it's a non-issue. The game would be able to tell which chunks were generated pre-gravity and just tag them as such so the gravity won't happen on them. Everything you built is still floating.

6. Cutter John

Honestly though, I really wish there wa ssome sort of scafolding block. Its a PITA to have to mine, place, then break down all those damn dirt blocks.

Well that would certainly make the game a lot more challenging. Having to make sure your tunnels and structures are braced properly, just like the real world. Seems like it would be a nightmare to code though.

Ahh, gotcha. Sorry, I spend way too much time over on Fark.com. Where some people say stuff like this with a straight face. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice treehouse, Cutter. It's so epic! :)

8. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

NO. NOOOOO!... dammit, where's a glass case full of Enterprise models when you need it...?

Seriously though, that would suck epically. I think I would just have to stop playing if notch took floating blocks away.

9. Cutter John

*sigh* Currently struggling with trying to add a custom texture I created and failing miserably. The software keeps choking on it no matter what I try.
    Just sent the image to a texture maker for advice, so we'll see.

10. Itisnotlogical

My house came under attack by a virtual army of ninja creepers. Every time I turned around I felt like I had one in my face. Damage to my main house was minimal, but my underground shelter was partially exposed and one of my furnaces destroyed. :( Also, I finally got some woofies spawning on my map! :D

11. Cutter John

Yay, some kind person fixed my texturepack for me! Of course I still can't figure out wtf was wrong.

I decided to go ahead and upload it if anyone else would like to give it a try. Only bit of wierdness is that I replaced Netherrack with riveted steel plate to use on my airship hull. The furnitures come sin shades of green, so its probably best suited for a wooded environment.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N923OEXV

And heres an easy program to install custom textures, and upgrade your game to accept larger than 16 x 16 textures. You don't even have to unzip the file. It even lets you unpatch your game if necessary.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=COTRMY5U Using it is pretty self explainatory. If theres a problem you can download it from other locations. Just search for MCPatcher.

[​IMG]

Oh man I've had mornings like that. You miss an attack and it blows up, followed by a second one the blindsides you before you can recover. Or kills you. Then when you respawn and try to go get your stuff, you get jumped by another while you're unarmed.

Actually its not so much the Creepers that bother me, its the pumpkins keeping me up all night with their damn chanting!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Minecraft has taken in €23 million since it went on sale. Notch wont get to keep all of it because he lives in a godless communist country that steals his money and rapes his grandparents (according to Glenn Beck), but he'll have a very comfortable life from here on out.

13. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, he'll never have to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to.

14. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I need to invent a cool game..... :shifty:

15. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

do the beds act as a spawn point?

16. Peak

Yes, with the new patch they do until you "destroy" the bed. This is going to be great for exploration far beyond the original spawn point... :D

Upcoming features:

The Piston-mod will probably be included (somewhat modified) in the vanilla game

Achievements and Statistics

Rain and Snow (depending on biomes). Apparently thunder is considered too.

17. Robert Maxwell

I just looked up the piston mod. :eek: That's awesome! Perfect for traps and cannons and such.

I look forward to the rain, snow, and thunder.

18. Peak

19. Itisnotlogical

Bah. Mods are for losers. :shifty:

Finally tamed my first wolf... and unfortunately, Flake doesn't seem very intelligent. I ordered him through some basic tasks, and here's how he came out:

Moving through a 1x1 hole in the wall: FAILED
    Jumping up a 1x2 block staircase: FAILED
    Attacking mobs in the most efficient way possible: So-so.
    Following me: FAILED

I think Flake will just have to be window dressing for a while until I make my house more dog-friendly. :(

20. Robert Maxwell

I keep my wolf indoors, sitting. He's just there to look good, I don't trust him to actually wander about.