Want to go to Mars? Now's your chance!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Candlelight, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

http://news.yahoo.com/wanted-mars-colonists-explore-red-planet-204754693.html

I love that last line...

2. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ahnuld says:
    [​IMG]
    Get your ass to Mars.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It's one thing to want to go to Mars, but move there is a different matter.

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

So it's like Big Brother, only we ship the selected oddballs off planet and banish them to the Martian wastes? :p

5. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

I AM SO THERE

So much free land, and all for the taking!!

6. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I will have to say, no thanks.

They recently completed a study involving a simulated flight plan to Mars. The results were discouraging. By the time the crew had completed their mission, four of the six volunteers were suffering from depression, isolation, and irregular sleep patterns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8wwidQOAg

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/viewnews.php?id=240658

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/08/mars-mission-test-sleep-astronauts_n_2426893.html

I think they need to concentrate on building faster and bigger ships. Bigger ships will give the crew members the privacy they need.

7. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they'd be lucky to have people on Mars in 20 years. Ten years is laughable.

And just three to start launching robotic cargo missions? You'd need the hardware pretty much already designed, since you'd want to build and test it before the actual mission. I certainly wouldn't want to have my life dependent on untested hardware.

8. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

There won't be any takers for a one-way trip.

9. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm sure that's not the attitude they'll be looking for. It's a trip to Mars, not Disneyland, a little hardship is to be expected :p

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Oh, I dunno, bet they'd still have a line going. More takers if it looked like they had half a plan for actually living there. We can probably SEND people to Mars in the next 10 years, but need a ton more planning on how to survive there, rather than just barely getting people there and having them dead or bored to tears 20 minutes later.

half a plan, functioning shelter/bio-dome situation, new equipment and suits, and you'd get people to sign up for a 1-way mission. Especially if they do it it pairs, or at least plan that way. Hard Scientists' wet dream, most likely.

Plus, certain prestige in being first man on Mars, no? You'd be in the history books, and name would live forever. Definitely appeal in that. And seeing as how they seem like they're rushing it, you'd likely also be the first human to die outside of Earth's atmosphere in short order, so you might be in the history books TWICE if you live long enough to land on Mars... :)

Discover something major, like evidence of past life on Mars, and you make an even BIGGER splash. Just 10-15 years of beaming reports of rock collection and whatnot would already be a huge leap in science, but if you found something BIG...

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Mars One will never get the money to get anything to Mars.

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

People will only go if there's a genuine chance to come back. Even the most gung-ho space cadet on the planet will have enough nous to have this in his contract.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think 2030 would be a far more realistic date for a manned mission to Mars. And yes hardship is to be expected.

14. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I think they'd get takers, but a large number of them might not be well-adjusted to society, which could be part of the motivation for leaving.

15. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mars have wifi?

16. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

IDK, a one way trip sounds a bit ominous to me.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

For the average person, obviously. For a scientist in an applicable field, likely one that's in their 40s or 50s, it's probably exciting beyond imagining, even with it being a 1-way ticket. Years of pure science in the field, history books, all the shit you'll discover, things and places named after you, your own elementary schools back home, etc.

if you're a lab rat, and already done the wife and kids thing (or just too antisocial/science nerd to try), this is pretty much the biggest thing you could offer, I'd imagine...

18. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

Well, when you put it that way. LOL
    Then I can see it as an opportunity to be a space/Mars pioneer.

19. gturner

gturner Admiral

Part of the revenue stream is from reality TV, so they should also consider sending a person from death row (reprising Vin Diesel's role in "Pitch Black"), a hot looking female cop, a backstabbing powermad bitch, a scientist who is borderline psychotic, a religious fundamentalist (preferably a cultist or jihadist, and ideally one of each), and a dope smoking hippie.

20. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Also a brain, athlete, basket case, princess, and criminal.