DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Alright... you've been warned... ;)

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, it's not a big deal. A double tall mocha costs more at Starbucks.

There aren't many things I really hate, at least in terms of entertainment media.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I definitely enjoyed "Fear Itself" more than "Flashpoint". At least it took place in the same continuity :lol: And while a lot of the endless tie-ins were worthless, a couple did affect their books like Uncanny X-Men and Thunderbolts and Avengers Academy.

4. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm missing my 52 fix, so I've bough the last two I, Vampire books, and the first Batman and Robin. The latter seemed ... short. Not bad, and I liked much of it. But short.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought I,Vampire #3 really delivered after issue 2 was lacking imo. Very eager to see what/who comes into the picture next issue in Gotham.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a ton of editorial interference on his second run whereas there was none during the first go-around.

Eh...I like the changes, but the writing and direction are all on par with pre-New 52.

So, basically what they've been doing with the character for the last 10-20 years.

Because there really isn't any.

Lets call a spade a spade. The New 52 was nothing more than a stunt to get new readers. It was successful, but the approach DC has taken when constructing their stories isn't any different than what was already being done. Truth is, they didn't need to change their approach since the audience they were going for were not reading DC to begin with, those "new" readers wouldn't know the difference.

Most of the DC titles are middling at best. The only one that's actually worth a damn is The Flash.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm enjoying all - okay, all but Green Lantern - of the titles I'm reading now more than I did the DC comics I used to buy. I can't believe I'm buying Supergirl every month, for chrissakes. And Superman is really, really different than the old wooden boy scout that no one ever seemed to be able to spin into having an actual personality or attitude toward...anyone or anything, really.

I mean, I've been reading these things on and off since around 1959. I know the difference and can see it easily...and I've certainly no reason to mourn for the oldDC as there wasn't anything going on there - okay, except Green Lantern - that could hold my interest for more than an occasional one-issue purchase.

At least people have to concede now that the reboot has succeeded. Oh, but I'm sure the Speedo will "be back within a year." :lol:

The last part of Flashpoint was kind of sweet - Bruce and Barry and the letter and all. And presumably the hooded chick going on about the timeline being "splintered to weaken your world for their impending arrival" prefigures next summers big crossover event, whatever the hell it is.

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Presactly.
    Yeah.

Don't get me wrong. There are some good stories and DC probably needed to clean out the continuity again. And it was probably almost worth it to get rid of the Lois-Superman marriage.

But except for Superman, there's almost nothing that DC is doing storywise that couldn't have been accomplished without a reboot, or at least by doing what used to be known as a "soft reboot" (ie, just ignore the stuff you don't want to write about).

To make matters worse, the one character that probably needed the reboot almost as much as Superman--Batman--was the one who was forced to keep most of the past ten or twenty years of built up detritus. His continuity is more screwed up than ever, what with the five Robins in five years or whatever.

10. Broccoli

All the "new" stuff with Superman has been more or less what they've been doing with Superman for the last ten years. Nothing new here.

A difference in storytelling between now and 1959, sure. A difference in storytelling between now and the past few years, none at all.

11. Admiral_Young

The relaunch has succeeded to this point sales wise yes. I don't know about in general though or how long they'll be able to maintain the grip they have on Marvel. The creative changes on various books and other nonsense would suggest to me that they've hit a home run but not gone for the cycle. It will be interesting to see where the 52 Verse at this time next year. DC still hasn't as of yet announced any big summer event plans for 2012 and aside from Grant Morrison's Multiversity which I do not believe has anything to do with the 52 Verse...there is probably something planned for their first 52 Verse Event.

I've enjoyed some things but miss the regular DCU. Nothing has blown me away.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm interested in what 52 Phase 2 might bring. Doctor Fate? Spectre? Doctor Mid-Nite? Inferior Five?

I'm somewhat surprised we haven't see Dr. Mid-Nite or even Pieter Cross in the Mr. Terrific book yet. Pieter and Michael were pretty close friends in the previous continuity.

13. Admiral_Young

It will be interesting for wave two if there even is a plan for more books. I suspect we'll have to wait for a while. We've not had any cancellations yet. They are probably still focusing on keeping all the original 52 books afloat. I could see mini-series planned.

14. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, lack of crossovers is one of the best things about the relaunch so far. I hated, and dropped many a book because of, the publisher's insistence that every title turn into an incomplete chapter of some giant team - up.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Superman now is different than, and better, then Byrne's reboot turned out to be after the first year or two (and I liked Byrne's version). It's different, and way more "human" than that "Birthright" shit. It's way better than the crap jms was doing, either in the regular series or "Earthe One." It's better than any of the "Secret Origin" stuff by Johns that I've read.

So much for 1959.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they'll be back at some point, but yeah, I've never had any interest in these giant Flashpoint/Final Crisis/Brightest Day type events either. I don't mind an occasional cameo, but if I want to see a team-up story, I'll just read Justice League.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Swamp Thing and Animal Man apparently are going to cross over soon as is Frankenstein and OMAC.

18. Broccoli

We are three months in. DC is still re-establishing their characters and titles. The next big event will, no doubt, be back by next summer (with the next wave of titles spinning out from it). Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if DC makes some announcement by the sixth month mark.

You might like this new story better than the last story, but that doesn't mean DC is writing things stylistically different from before (which they aren't).

19. Admiral_Young

We'll probably hear or see something around March or April. Comic con obviously would be a little too late. I'm wondering if it will have to do with the Darkseid story being teased in Justice League or something else entirely. Or there is of course the possibility they'll do nothing at all and just continue to support the books own arcs...which I doubt.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think redefining the style was really the main goal of this, so much as cleaning away a lot of the continuity and backstory for newer people. I think for the most part they've done that really well.

I'm an old-time DC fan, but it wasn't until now that I could pick up a newer Aquaman or Supergirl or Justice League book and understand what the hell was going on (without having to consult Wikipedia every 5 minutes, at least).