Any missing scenes on the TOS DVDs?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TowerPower, Jul 12, 2012.

1. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for this good info!

BTW, I notice you specified the LP. You're saying it generically, as a title originally on vinyl, right? They must have used the CD edition to spare themselves the cleanup.

2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes and also brecause LP is easier to type than "Fred Steiner's Varese Sarabande Rerecording from the 80's." :techman:

3. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

What are the details on the Doohan and Koenig segments from VHS? As stated above, I have all the single-ep VHS releases and nothing like appeared. Does this refer to double-ep releases?

Is there a list of those Doohan/Koenig comments, and their youtube links?

Is there a list of easter egg feature from the DVD sets? I know nothing about that, and I even have the sets!

Do the bluray sets contain easter eggs? I ordered all 3 seasons on bluray last week from Amazon for 72.99 and will look for them...

And ... speaking of the episode music, I have the La La Land complete scores, and remember comments on this board that some episodes contain music that was compiled from stock and in the ep are don't sound exactly like the music as oroginally recorded ... in other words, the cd's contain all the source material, but won't necessarily reflect what you heard in the ep because of manipulation in editiing.... Anyone know of a source that details all of that? I have Jeff Bond's book but don't recall reading anything about re-editing music from stock for specific eps.

I am all out of questions now. Thanks!

4. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

5. Ssosmcin

The music sounds just like it did in the episodes. Only a limited number of episodes each year had original music composed to them, so there was a lot of tracking and editing throughout and some might have gotten tweaked in the booth at the time of broadcast. However, there is really nothing that "doesn't sound like it does in the episode."

There were also a bunch of cues written as library music, not specific to a particular episode, to be plugged in as needed. All of these are on the CD set. There has been a question or two about a couple of cues that seem to be missing, but according to the people who worked on it, it's comprehensive aside from a few songs (one from The Way to Eden and I'll Take You Home Kathleen). If any orchestral score is missing, it's not significant. I certainly haven't noticed and I've been listening to this set a lot for the last year.

6. KarmicCurse

KarmicCurse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The easter eggs I have found on the blu-rays thus far are pathetic! It's often a nobody giving a generic opinion on some aspect of the show, or even worse some sort of clip mash-up that has been outdone by many on youtube. And most of these are less than 30 seconds!

I haven't yet bothered with the "BD live" content which requires a connection (I can't get it to work though I watch Netflix regularly through my blu-ray player) but if it's another brief clip, why not simply include it with the disc's contents?

7. DarthBrett

DarthBrett Ensign Newbie

So I finally checked my old VHS copies of the Laser-discs...the cue in Miri is the same. So, we do have a cue that is missing on the set. I am curious what happened and if it was omitted due to damage or lost masters, or if it was an oversight/mistake?

8. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

You have to know the market circa 2007 when they first started to produce the sets. At the time the push was "interactive extras" trying to show how neat the next generation formats were. The TOS-R sets were initially targeted to be an HD-DVD release (they put out Season 1 on HD-DVD), then Blu-ray won the format war so CBS took a year and some to re-group and released them on Blu-ray with the equivalent "neat" online features ported to them.

The whole BD Live thing was tried and died out, it wasn't handy and wasn't all that fast to download and then execute the interactive content (basically like a Java application). The rise of smartphones and tablets that could easily access rich "second screen" content was the nail in the coffin.

Anyway to make BD Live work you need 1GB or more of local storage. BD Live has always been an optional feature of the Blu-ray specification, so most vendors didn't bother to include the flash memory for it. You need to connect a USB flash drive and/or insert a memory card in your player (depends on the brand) and then tell the player to use it for BD Live storage. Check your player's manual.

A bit of built-in flash memory storage and internet connectivity was mandatory with HD-DVD, so it wasn't an issue for the HD-DVD release.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

All the BD-Live stuff on the TOS sets sucked ass anyways.

10. ZapBrannigan

I can't recall the missing Eden song. What was it?

11. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm curious about this...where abouts is this, and what is the splice?

12. Ssosmcin

The very short "gonna crack my knuckles and jump for joy, I gotta clean bill of health from Dr. McCoy." It's minor but still my favorite of the "tunes."

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And Takei!

Re-released in 1996-97 on videocassette, three episodes per tape, each volume contained an exclusive introduction by James Doohan & George Takei (Walter Koenig joining them for Seasons 2-3).
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB2246EE90736AB16

14. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I used to have all those late 90s cassette tapes, that was around the time I got my first job so I had my first disposable income, so it was perfect timing for me to collect them as they came out. :) I kinda wish I'd kept them all instead of throwing them in the trash when the DVDs came along, especially with the exclusive VAM of the Koenig/Doohan/Takei interviews not having appeared on DVD releases. Still, I suppose there's always YouTube...

15. ZapBrannigan

Thanks. That one must have been performed live with the dialog, which is possibly the same thing that kept "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen" off the CDs.

"Knuckles" is more of a spoken-word number, if I recall. A composer-arranger could easily flesh it out and Shatner could go to town on it.

16. Ssosmcin

Perhaps, but it sounds as butchly overdubbed as the rest of them. I pulled it from the DVD awhile back and it sounds fine, so that's good enough for me....