MLP:FiM S4E11 - "Three's A Crowd" - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amaris, Jan 24, 2014.

?

Episode Grade

Poll closed Jan 31, 2014.
  1. A

100.0%
  2. B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Episode Title: "Three's A Crowd"
    Air Date: Jan. 25th, 2014

Summary: "As Twilight Sparkle eagerly anticipates the arrival of Princess Cadance, Discord dishes up quite the dreadful disruption when he arrives and begs the ponies to take care of him while he is sick. But when Discord’s diva like demands get ridiculously out of hand, Twilight’s generosity and friendship skills are put to the test during her special weekend."

Live Streams:
    BronyState Theaters
    Brony Network
    Xyro HD Stream
    Worlds of Equestria

REMEMBER: DO NOT POST SPOILERS UNTIL AFTER 1:00 PM EST (6 PM UTC/GMT)

=-

More Discord? Yes, please!

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Pros:

Discord
    Twilight doing Princess things

Cons:

Cadance

We'll see which wins out tomorrow!

3. Amaris

I'm a Cadance fan, so that's 3 Pros for me! :D

4. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Huh, wasn't expecting more Discord already! This sounds like fun. :D

I wasn't a big fan of either Cadance or Shining during "Canterlot Wedding" - I've come to like the episode more than I did at the time, though their out-of-left-field dominance within the plot is still a bit weird to me. However, both of the characters have very much grown on me since then, and I'm actually looking forward to a Cadance appearance - it's been a while!

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I know the episode title for episode 16 "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies" was nagging at me since I heard it.

Now they mention them in this episode and it hit me. Those fucking tiny fairy ponies from Generation 3 and 3.5.

No, no, oh just hell no.

6. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Chem, I saw those last night thanks to my babysitting charges. Something tells me they're different this time around.

As for today's episode, A. More DisQord being DisQord.

7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

That was awesome. I had no idea that Discord would be showing up in this episode so it was an even bigger treat, I felt. His song performance was outstanding - there were so many pop culture references of which I missed most. The "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" outfit just right afterwards made me crack up.

Fluttershy is really too good to be true. I liked her outfit for her trip, by the way.

The weird worm thing was also a fun monster.

Ans rarity also got some nice scenes and lines again. This season is really quite rewarding for those of us who appreciate her.

8. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

I have only one thing to say about this episode: DISCORD!

I could watch him all day long, he doesn't even have to speak. The visual puns are so awesomely hilarious, both Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas and Harry Potter... :rofl:

9. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Amaris

I loved it. I had a field day with all of the references, most of which were from movies made in the late 80s / early 90s (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Risky Business), plus the whole Harry Potter reference nearly killed me. :lol:

The interplay between Cadance and Twilight was awesome, and it was just good to see Cadance again, outside some kind of royal endeavor. There was a Seussian quality to the episode, with the way Discord acted and the song was great. Definitely an "A" from me. :D

11. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

The Breezies... something tells me they won't be the same as in G3.

12. Amaris

This episode passed by way too quickly for me. I was just getting into it, and it was done! How dare they restrict it to 22 minutes!

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

All that was missing was Discord saying "Sandworms, you know I hate them"

Fun episode and Discord didn't disappoint.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This was my favorite Discord episode and has redeemed him as a storyline for me. I loved the song. Excellent.

15. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only thing that brought me out of a story was how the "loyal" one was the first to disappear when Discord showed up - especially JUST after an episode about it. Otherwise, excellent episode. John de Lancie can't really sing, but it was an awesome song nonetheless, and who doesn't like in-jokes being thrown at you with each line!

Mark

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Mostly A, as Discord gets whats coming to him again, after becoming largely an annoying set piece in his previous couple of appearances.

Nice to see Cadance again, Shining apparently isn't keeping her that 'entertained', hmm, wonder what that could mean.

Starswirls travelling museum, really? and that costume again. :lol:

And that awkward moment when you're on the toilet and Discord makes your house float away (poor Bon Bon).

17. Amaris

Yeah, it was my second viewing where I caught the Bon Bon thing. :lol:

18. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hilarious episode. They're still on a roll with this season. Seeing Cadance again was a lot of fun, and she really got to exhibit more varied personality traits this time around than her previous appearances. While I agree with what Mark said about Rainbow Dash (how it was odd that she just took off, leaving the rest to deal with Discord), thinking about it, I actually don't have too much of a problem with it. At this point, they've come to... not trust Discord exactly, but they're fairly confident that his days as an actual MENACE are pretty much over. He's had ample time to show that, and also ample time to be a menace again if he really wanted to (especially after they lost the elements), but he's been content to just be the most annoying practical joker in Equestria. So there's not much chance of actual danger, and it seems like being squished into that group hug with him was just more than she could take. :lol:

I also liked the crazy sandworm thing - really interesting critter, hinting once again that outside the realm of Equestria and all of its magical, princess-powered protections exists a dangerous and wondrous fantasy world. Seeing Twilight and Cadance fighting it off was really damn cool, too!

19. Amaris

Plus, there's loyalty, and then there's just preference. If the girls were in any danger, Rainbow Dash would have been there. As it was, it was Discord being cheeky and squeezy, and Dash didn't want any part of that.

20. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

There was also a Star Wars reference in there, as he struck a pose from the original movie poster during the song.

The worm thing gave me a Beetlejuice vibe. :D

ETA: Sorry for being late to the party. I was out of the country for a month, and just don't watch them online.