MLP:FiM S4E12 - "Pinkie Pride" - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amaris, Jan 31, 2014.

?

Episode Grade

Poll closed Feb 7, 2014.
  1. A

70.0%
  2. B

20.0%
  3. C

10.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Am I imagining it or did the goof off contain some of Weird Al's Power Polka?

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It did, and some folks are already saying Al's going to make a polka version of what he did for MLP, as he does it for almost every cartoon he voices.

3. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Peach Wookiee

AWESOME!!! I love that!

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really really really did not like Cheese Sandwich. His mane and tail bothered me the entire episode because it is BROWN. I just didn't believe in him as a party pony, even when he was being a party pony it didn't ring true to me which is weird considering the voice actor. His colouring really bugged me the whole time, okay yeah the colour of (american) cheese? I guess?

He just didn't work.

Pinkie was of course wonderful.

6. Peach Wookiee

... Has anypony else noticed that Pinkie episodes seem to divide fandom opinion?

7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I liked it - a fun episode all around. I don't have anything meaningful to say about it, though.

8. teacake

Pinkie Pie is my favorite character. I love her. Maybe I would have liked this one better if I wasn't already quite tired of the predictable recurring theme this season which is making every story seem basically the same. I like the stand alone quirkiness of Too Many Pinkie Pies and the babysitting ep and..

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he was brown maned because Weird Al has brown hair, and they wanted to keep a resemblance to the VA. There's a screencap I have here, from the episode, that shows Weird Al as himself from the 1980s, but as a pony. It was in the lineup scene here (I circled him in red):

[​IMG]

So that's why I figure they kept the coloring simple.
    Also, I loved that, since Weird Al's stuff from the 80s is still my favorite. :D

10. teacake

aaaaaaaaaaaah that makes sense, thanks J.!

11. Peach Wookiee

I didn't see Cheese wearing the hat from "Dare to be Stupid." If he didn't... he should have!

12. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well. That was something. :lol:

I liked it overall, though I will say, as someone who's always found Weird Al funny but was never a huge fan, some of the antics might have been lost on me, because there were times where it just felt like a bit TOO much. Not in the usual "Pinkie Pie you are so random!" way, but in more of a pure "uh... ok O_o" kind of way. Was the momentary live-action shots of Gummy and Boneless a reference to something? If not, then... what

I also frowned when Rainbow Dash plainly said "Yeah, Pinkie's parties are good, but..."

However! The episode redeems itself fully by hitting that right on its head (the Dash thing, not the Weird Al thing) later on, and shifting the focus from wacky antics to actual character development, with Dashie outright admitting that she'd gotten caught up in the hype and said something hurtful. I liked that. And I liked the reconciliation, and the revelation that Pinkie had inspired Cheese in the first place, and the fact that they gave Pinkie a serious moment where she sees past all the antics and silliness that she's usually all about and realizes that if someone isn't enjoying what's happening, then it's not worth it.

So, in the end, I still give it a 9, even though it came perilously close to losing me during the early-to-middle portion of the ep.

Also, during Cheese's flashback, filly background ponies. Filly background ponies. I squeed, I really did.