Finale discussion thread (spoilerifictitle insided) *SPOILERS WITHIN*

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Chris3123, Apr 19, 2013.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Re: Finale discussion thread (spoilerifictitle insided) *SPOILERS WITH

Yes...if they're given the rights to make audios based on him which they don't for The Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Doctors.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If John Hurt is playing the Doctor, and he's a real Doctor and not an alternate or fake Doctor, then I hope that we do get some exploitation of the character elsewhere. A single outing for the John Hurt Doctor would not be enough! :)

Of course, i still want that Jackson Lake novel that RTD mentioned years ago.

3. The Nth Doctor

Absolutely. I would love even just a one-off series/boxset of John Hurt as The Doctor. I'm just not holding my breath that Big Finish will be able to do such a product anytime soon.

4. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I think BF's license specifically forbids any nuWho which is a bummer because there is so much interesting materials. 9th and 10th doctors, Torchwood, River Song, Madam Vastra, nu-UNIT, companion chronicles. BF stuff is better than most of the crappy audio books that are out now.

5. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing that kinda annoys me with the alleged finale spoilers is that this is something I excluded as an option back in the Asylum of the Daleks, and completely wrote off in Snowmen giving up the hope that it could be this simple.

Neither of the other Claras seemed to have any recollection of the Doctor, and the one in Snowmen even did the dance around the TARDIS trying to figure out that's it's bigger on the inside. I need to watch this again to see what her exact reaction was. But if you give me a mystery, it is slightly disingenuous to make the mystery contradict what we know. I want to be able to guess it. Why you're giving it to me otherwise? :p

Not saying that it isn't cool to have an unsolvable mystery, but I did wish that Clara was not a mystery at all and it turns out she actually isn't but they made her one anyway to mess with us. Also, with this solution, I wish they had let the episodes go in the opposite direction, and made the Victorian girl the original Clara. I related to her most, perhaps.

6. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

^
    Could be that she's aware that the Doctor doesn't know HER yet, so she "fakes" the "never-having-met-the-Doctor" thing?

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

In this instance, we know that Moffat is making up Clara's story as he goes. In other cases, we may or may not suspect that, but he always says he has a masterplan we'll never figure out. In the case of Clara, he's said explicitly that he cast her as the companion first then decided to cast her as Oswin. What we have are characters who weren't connected but now are, so things may not join correctly.

Maybe AudioGO could, the way they did the first two (or was it three) Tom Baker box sets. :)

I admit, I'm grasping at straws here. And it's possible that a John Hurt Doctor audio would be such a niche product that it wouldn't be worth doing even if someone could.

8. The Nth Doctor

True, although I've read mixed reviews about them (and I believe it's three box sets).

No more niche than the Unbound Doctors, and while they may not have sold well (like The Holy Terror), several of them are highly regarded (I've only listened to the David Warner audios, but I've heard that at least the Geoffrey Bayldon audios are also very good). Hell, would it be all that more niche than doing an ongoing series of The Eighth Doctor considering how poorly TV Movie was received (except Paul McGann's performance)?

9. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Preview of TNOTD in the new DWM basically confirms the accuracy of the leaked synopsis. (I'd love to know where it came from originally.)

Every journey taken by a time-traveller tears a wound in the fabric of reality, and the Doctor has time-travelled more than anyone. But the trail runs cold in Trenzalore, the one place in all of time and space that he should never go. The most dangerous place in the universe… Who is kidnapping the Doctor’s friends, leading him to Trenzalore? Could the Fall of the Eleventh be nigh? Or does an impossible girl hold the key? The Doctor’s past, present, and future lives are in grave danger… and his greatest secret is about to be revealed.

THE DOCTOR: “The path I carved through time and space, from Gallifrey to Trenzalore. My own personal Time Tunnel, leading back to every moment I ever lived. Every step, every tear, every kiss. Even the days I haven’t lived yet. Which is why I shouldn’t be here. The paradoxes… very bad…”

10. StCoop

Someone who was at the Press Screening for the Finale has blabbed everything on IMDb and backed it up with some sneakily taken photos. The original leaked synopsis was spot on but missed out on one major detail that should make half the audience happy the other half not so much.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436992/board/nest/214303270

Here's the "web" of the Doctor's timeline.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2ihmfee.jpg

11. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

12. StCoop

Blimey, it's all getting a bit crazy on the whole Spoiler front these days. I wonder if it's Whistleblower having another try? (And then there's the childish I-know-more-than-you antics between Timeboy and TDT.)

13. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

There does seem to be a lot more elaborate fakery going on now than in the past. There's also an alleged screengrab from "The Name of the Doctor" of Clara edited into a William Hartnell scene, though that one is more obviously a cheap trick.

14. StCoop

I stopped believing that particular idea when it was claimed they'd be using the cliffhanging cliffhanger from 'Dragonfire' for McCoy.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah, those look fake. The image on the screen looks to clear, to crisp to have been projected.

Personally, whoever is doing all of the fake spoilers, my heart goes out to them. I think it's hilarious watching the internet crack in half sometimes.

16. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it possible this is part of an official disinformation campaign?

17. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Do we know if this alleged top secret media event even took place? Are any other journalists talking about the event? If not, definitely fake. If they are, should be easy enough for them to deny the storyline.

18. StCoop

They haven't got the time to make the series on a regular basis but have the time for this? And why bother. It's hardly a topic that's got the nation gripped. It's one or two fans who desperate for attention or who think they're getting one over on people.

The thing is though, while those photos may be faked, every bit of official information about the episode (particularly the DWM preview) supports the original leaked synopsis. (All the extra stuff that other people are claiming is in the episode, not so much.)

19. StCoop

In retrospect, the thing that really gives it away as being fake is the person claiming that their sister works for DWM and that's how they got to see it. DWM has a tiny staff and it would be easy to find out who it was and for them to lose their job if it was true.

20. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Disinformation just isn't that hard. There are no actors, directors, grips, or camera operators involved, and the only special effects budget -- if any -- is the cost of a handful of Photoshops. Moffat could scatter a dozen different ideas for misdirection over a single dinner with a cheaply paid co-conspirator, and it's off to the races.

I've often wondered why the big franchises don't employ misdirection more often, and the only credible downside I've ever encountered is the suggestion that someone in PR might get testy if bad ideas create a negative buzz.