Digital comics are they worth it ? disscussion and comments:

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

with dark horse's anouncement that they are going digital I was wondering what other companies are going digital and for what devices and if they worth it?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marvel and DC also both announced day of digital release days. Dark Horse is merely following suit. I guess it's up to the purchaser to decide if it's worth it.

3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I buy a lot of comics, but I'm not a collector. Those comics go in the trash after I'm done reading them. Digital really wouldn't be that much of a transition for me.

The two holding blocks are: 1) I don't use a tablet reader (currently on a kindle) and 2) I'm still loyal to my small comic shop.

That Marvel deal ($60 bucks for their entire year's worth of comics) would do a lot to bring me into the digital market...if it were DC making the offer. I don't read all that much Marvel these days.

4. timothy

does anyone know if dynamite entertainment or BOOM studio's is going digital as well?

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Would love to give this a try, but just wouldn't be very practical on my small little iphone.

6. Admiral_Young

I would expect digital announcements from the independent companies soon enough timothy.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

You don't have to put "discussion and comments" in the titles of all your threads.

I think digital comics will sell well, and it's probably the smart thing for companies to do at this point. I imagine most people would rather have hundreds of comics on their Kindles or iPads instead of having them in boxes taking up space in the attic.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've just recently gone digital with comics, and I love it. I never really got in to comics, but thanks to going digital I've absolutely fallen in love with them now. I mainly use comixology, who has 46 different publishers including DC and all of it's imprints, Image and all of theirs, IDW (just Transformers stuff [ATM at leas]), Boom, Dynamite, TokyoPop (no Trek sadly), and Dark Horse (all they have so far are the is one Hellboy issue and one issue of Helm). I just read them on my PC laptop and I've had no problems with it. They do have their own apps for phones and tablets, though.

9. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I've tried reading comics on computer screens and like e-books I just get a migraine. As long as it doesn't replace print completely, I don't care if they put comics out on the back of matchbooks as an alternative. But I imagine the company that "slabs" comics is probably getting a bit worried. All we need is to have a company go digital-only and suddenly the entire comic book collecting industry will find itself with a glass ceiling. Certainly the future of comic collecting is going to be in jeopardy. Can you slab a flash drive?

Alex

10. Admiral_Young

Actually come to think of it...I think Newsarama had a story from comic con that Boom also announced they were going digital. I'll see if I can find the article.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Boom already has alot of their series, including the three miniseries and first 20 issues of the ongoing Farscape comics... oh and the D'Argo minis, on Comixology.

12. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

As long as it's not that "motion comic" crap or whatever that makes you go cross-eyed, and is instead just regular comics in a digital format, they should be fine.

13. Admiral_Young

Yeah it's just digital downloads of comics not motion comics.

14. timothy

so is comixology strickly digital comics?

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Personally, they are not for me. If the printed single monthly issues ever go away then I will become a trade-only reader, if I continue to read comics at all.

16. Admiral_Young

@timothy you should check out the link to the website that JD posted, it pretty much answers your question.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is another part of the site that deals with paper comics, but think that's more of a database, I don't think they sell them.
    Here's the main page for the paper comics, if you want to get back to the digital there from there just click comics by comixology. I just checked and you can't buy the paper comics from comicxology, but they do link to Things From Another World.

For anyone who wants to see how their digital comics work, here's this week's free digital sneak peek from DC. (The comics featured are the one that just came out in physical format this week, not digital).

18. timothy

very cool thanks JD.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Marvel sort of has the digital comics unlimited archive thing as well. It's kind of like 'renting' the comics instead of owning them for a monthly or annual price, but it's handy for catching up on older issues.

A couple of years ago there was also those digital collection software (Which are now mostly hard to find), but the quality on some issues was kind of so-so.