Sexiest DS9 character?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DevilEyes, Jun 29, 2009.

?

Who was the sexiest for you?

1. Jadzia Dax

37 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. Kira Nerys

27 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Ezri Dax

46 vote(s)
    25.1%
  4. Leeta

25 vote(s)
    13.7%
  5. Keiko O'Brien

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kassidy Yates

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  7. Captain Benjamin Sisko

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Dr. Julian Bashir

12 vote(s)
    6.6%
  9. Worf

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  10. Odo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Miles O'Brien

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Gul Dukat

7 vote(s)
    3.8%
  13. Elim Garak

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  14. Damar

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  15. Weyoun

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  16. Vedek Boreil Antos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Quark :-p

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Jake Sisko (...since he grew up, obviously!)

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  19. other (male)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  20. other (female)

9 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's why I voted for Damar - you can't get much sexier than a principled Cardassian, IMO (well, except for Romulans and Vulcans, of course ;) - they were my first Trek loves, after all), and that's exactly what Damar became.

Plus there's that voice of his, which is pretty darn fabulous - better even than Dukat's.

Edit: Oh, and BTW, I have to agree with DevilEyes that it's odd there are so few votes for male characters. I'm guessing that DS9 fans who find males attractive (there - did I put that inclusively enough? ;) ) just aren't that turned on by the DS9 cast? Can that be?

I must say, while several of them strike me as at least somewhat attractive, to very few of them was my reaction, "Oh, wow, is he hot."

Or the other thing I wondered is if DS9 tends to have a higher percentage of male fans than other Trek shows? Scifi in general has more male than female fans, and so does Trek, but I wonder if the proportions vary significantly between shows? I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't, now that I think about it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^Just my $0.02, but it may have something to do with an...alleged mentality along the lines of... "sexy" being a sexist term, or...something.

Or at least, that it's almost always directed at women, from men.

Again, just a theory. I have a feeling it'll be disproved in a heartbeat. :)

In the meantime...nice to see Ezri's still in the lead, after all this time....;)

3. JustKate

Well...the thread was started and named by a female, unless DevilEyes is fibbing to us!

Terms for attractiveness are tricksy, that's for sure. In the TNG forum, for example, there's a thread about whether Troi is "hot," and some of the posters differentiate rather sharply between "hot," "beautiful," "lovely" and so on. And in this thread, there has been quite a bit of differentation, too (e.g., discussions about whether Ezri is "sexy" or merely "cute"). No doubt those who have differentiated have perfectly good reasons for this, but...I suspect that the reasons won't be the same for everybody.

Attractiveness is all subjective, of course, but what's also subjective is degree of attractiveness, as well as what term a person chooses to describe that degree of attractiveness.

Me, I don't tend to use the word "sexy" very often in real life - or "hot" for that matter, although I used them on the BBS. They just aren't really my style, I guess - maybe I'm too inhibited, or perhaps I'm simply too stuffy in my language choices. I was pretty sure I knew what DevilEyes meant by it, though, so I chose accordingly.

But not using those terms does hamper me. Out here in the real world, I'd probably use "handsome" or "really good-looking" most of the time, which are fine, but it is definitely technically possible to be handsome and yet not be all that sexually attractive. And of course, there are plenty of men who aren't handsome but exude sex appeal.

It can all come down to the tone of voice in which a word is used - that's probably why I write "sexy" or "hot" here on the BBS even though I don't use those terms that often in real life. In real life, I'd use context and tone of voice to differentiate between something like "He's handsome enough, I guess," which means, "He's good looking but does nothing for me" and "Oh, he is so handsome!" (or "gorgeous") which is pretty much identical to "Man, is he hot!" It's hard to do that here, of course, tone of voice being a difficult thing to convey in a post on a bulletin board.

I think I need to expand my vocabulary. Surely there is something I can use that's descriptive but less slangy than "hot"? :lol:

4. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:confused: I don't get it. Granted, English is not my first language and I don't live in an English-speaking country so I might be missing some of the cultural connotations... but I have no idea what the term "sexy" has to do with being sexist? Except for the Spinal Tap, of course ("what's wrong with being sexy?" :p )

And I really don't understand the idea that sexy is something that only women are, to men, and not the other way round :wtf: Now that sounds sexist.

Being good-looking (beautiful, handsome...) and being sexy is not the same thing, as you pointed out. I used "sexy" because that is the most precise term. Sexy = sexually attractive. There are also, I think, subtle differences in meaning between sexy and attractive, and between handsome, beautiful, pretty and cute. But one thing I don't get is why some posters claim that "hot" and "sexy" are not the same thing. :cardie: I thought it as the same thing, only "hot" is a more slangy term?

As for the votes ratio in the poll... I suspect it is simply because there are a lot more men than women in this subforum. Why is that the case, I have no idea. The overall male/female ratio on the forum is something like 2:1... but I get the impression that there are more women hanging out in some other subforums like STXI. :shifty:

5. JustKate

I don't get this either, and English is my native language and I live in an English-speaking country. To me, they are absolutely identical in meaning. Perhaps somebody who does differentiate can enlighten us.

6. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

I would imagine that someone who is "sexy" would be considered very sexually attractive or sexually interesting, but that someone who is "hot" would be excitingly so; there may be a degree of powerful irresistiblity to the attractiveness of someone who is "hot", which engages the beholder in a way that seems to inflame - hence the term.

The American Heritage Dictionary seems to suggest these subtle differences. Sexy is defined as "arousing or tending to arouse sexual desire or interest", whereas hot is delineated as "sexually excited or exciting."

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  7. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

How did I put it back in the day? Oh, yes: Ezri is Star Trek's all-time ultimate little cream-filled hottie goddess. :)

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Hot" and "sexy" are the same thing. Maybe "hot" might sometimes connote a more physical type of attractiveness than "sexy" which might be more intangible, but really, they're the same. As far as I can tell both terms are frequently used by both genders and directed at pretty much anyone they care to direct it at. I prefer "sexy", but neither's really the height of poetry.

10. Rush Limborg

Oh, I agree. But hey--feminists have believed wierder....

Hmm...I wonder what the gal herself would say to that....

Probably, after chuckling, and glancing downward (I just love whenever she does that!), she'd say..."Good night, Illario....;)"

11. Fencer

Fencer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now there's a blast from the past!

12. DevilEyes

I was going for the accurate words rather than poetic... What would you prefer? Tasty? Irrestistible? Delectable? Erotically captivating? :rommie:

13. Rush Limborg

^My $0.02 on terminology:

"Hot" is a slang term. "Sexy" is the more accurate term, but even so, the term is shorthand for "sexually attractive"--i.e., "attractive in relation to gender, in a manner that appeals to intimate desires, physical and social", or some such thing....

14. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

I'll vote for "delectable" myself. Always did love that word! :bolian:

15. happydave

happydave Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hot and Sexy are indeed two completely separate terms. Someone can be 'hot' without being sexy. Hot is more a style like cute. Cute can be sexy without necessarily being hot.

Mirror Ezri is hot and cute.
    Normal Ezri is cute but not hot.

Both are sexy.

16. DevilEyes

How so? Explain the difference.

I think there is no difference, apart from 'hot' being a more slang term.

17. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

They're not different terms in my neck of the woods. One is interchangeable with the other.

18. Fencer

Fencer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only thing that I get is the old "evil is sexy" bit, other wise the words mean the same thing

19. JustKate

I'm going to have to agree...and I think maybe the best way to do so is to quote myself from a few posts back:
    Language is an amazing thing, really. We use words, other people use those words, too, and so we often assume that those others are using those words the exact same way. But the fact is that sometimes they are, and sometimes they are not.

And I have to say that as far as Happydave and I are concerned, in this case, they are not. I've never differentiated these words in that way...which isn't to say that I'm right and he's wrong, or that he's right and I'm wrong. Particularly in the case of slang and other words-of-the-moment, which I would say "hot" in this context pretty much qualifies as, we have moved out of the realm of idiom or even dialect and into idiolect, which is the term for an individual's personal dialect. Other people differentiate between hot and sexy the same way Dave does, or so I've gathered from other discussions here on the BBS, but the differentiation is by no means universal.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  20. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

Ezri dax.
    she's kind of cute