Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by seigezunt, Jun 3, 2009.

1. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been reading some of the older TOS novels, and note that this pair, who had done the 2 Phoenix novels (which I found utterly incomprehensible when I read them as an adolescent) also wrote a Pocket book, Triangle. I'm sure this has been asked before, but whatever happened to them? Seemed like they were mantle-holders for a while and then pfft.

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually they wrote two novels for Pocket Triangle and The Prometheus Design.

Not sure what they're doing now, but as long as the stay away from writing Star Trek novels I'm happy. :shifty:

3. seigezunt

oh, right. Prometheus Design. I just wonder what happened. Did Pocket decide they were just too slashy for the new Trek era?

4. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Pick up Voyages of the Imagination and you'll find out. :)

5. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Oh, good heavens, so true. :p

6. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

Well, I know I'm in the minority but I've always found their stories intriguing. The 2 Phoenix novels, while heavy-handed with the alpha male concept, gave us a perfect villain in Omne. He knew how to manipulate Kirk and Spock and that made him very dangerous. Those novels were better than some of the others at the time like World Without End or Spock, Messiah!.

I didn't care for their take on Vulcans in The Prometheus Design but it was still an interesting look into an alien, if not Vulcan, culture.

Triangle was rather simplistic (read: Mary Sue story) with a triangle with Sola Thane. But it was a nice insight on Kirk and Spock putting each other first above their own needs.

The Procrustean Petard in Star Trek: The New Voyages 2 was too chauvinistic for my tastes but it had an interesting germ of an idea that was executed poorly (much like Turnabout Intruder.

Lots of interesting ideas from these two ladies!! Not always the best Star Trek but a bunch of stories I would include in my own personal canon with some polishing and streamlining on them.

7. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Price and Fate of the Phoenix when I was a teenager. Didn't understand a word of 'em, but still loved 'em! :lol:

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I really loved the PHOENIX novels, and remember in Shat's first bio (written by M&C with him) he mentions that he wished they had used that for the first TREK movie instead of the TMP script. I think PROMETHEUS is good as well, but TRIANGLE was just ... well, it killed M&C for me the way the MATRIX sequels almost killed my appreciation for the first film. Thank God Diane Duane and John Ford came along, or I'd've given up on Trek fiction a decade earlier than I wound up doing.

9. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Oh God. *shudder!*

Those books were out in the days when there were very few Trek books available and so I bought them.

And was very sorry. Ugh.

10. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Wasn't one or both of them also involved with "Black Fire"?

Yeah, the TOS novels went through a NASTY period...lots of Mary Sue, implied slash, hurt/comfort...the whole nine yards.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That was by Sonni Cooper. As far as I know, Marshak & Culbreath had no involvement with that project.

12. seigezunt

So what happened? Did they tire of Trek, which I can't imagine?

13. OmahaStar

I'm sorry, did you not read my post, the second response to this thread? :wtf:

14. wew

wew Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe Trek tired of them.

I usually rate them among the worst Star Trek novels ever, and never plan to ever buy them or acquire them again. They were some of the first trek books I ever got rid of.

15. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

I picked up Fate of the Phoenix at a Half-Priced Books not long ago, on a lark.

Jeez, that's some terrible writing. A weeping Kirk and a Kirk-clone and all kinds of shit. Just ... awful.

From reading just a bit, I was certain Marshak and Culbreath are the type who fall in love with gay men.

Joe, hag

16. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

A mob with pitchforks and torches burst in and destroyed their typewriters.

Joe, anti-suck, in this case

17. seigezunt

I saw it. I was hoping somebody might know and share, rather than me shelling out $$$ for the answer.And a book concerned with a lot of Non-TOS material, which doesn't hold my interest currently. No offense.

18. OmahaStar

Then you really DO need to read it. Check it out of your local library. See if your local Half Price Books has a copy. The one here in Omaha had three copies for sale, for under 3.50 each, when I was there earlier this week.

It's amazing, just how many TOS authors are there, and every one of them is given fair treatment. M&C's section ... well, you'll enjoy it.

seigezunt likes this.
  19. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I'm sorry, did you think that your post was providing an answer? :rolleyes: I can understand the snottiness if you had actually given information other than "Buy/check out this book" but you didn't. So stuff the attitude.

20. OmahaStar

But Mom, he was ignoring me! :( *pout*