Any news on S6 & S7 Blu-Ray(s)?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by CrazyMatt, Nov 28, 2013.

1. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone heard anything on when we can expect to see the release of Next Gen's Blu-Rays for seasons 6 and 7? Also, who will be doing the HD transfer work?

And while we're at it, any word on other two-episode release plans (ala "Best Of Both Worlds" and "Unification")? I'd imagine we'll see a special disc for "All Good Things..." (be nice to have John de Lancie be part of an audio commentary on that), but how about for "Chain of Command" as well? I know Ronny Cox was recently interviewed... his commentary on such a disc would be something I'd look forward to.

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

It's already been mentioned on the boards that CBS Digital will be finishing things out with Seasons 6 and 7.

No definitive word on anything else yet.

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be honest if they're going to do a compilation edition release for season six, I hope they choose 'Chain Of Command'. I'd prefer that over a compilation edition of 'Descent' (which would probably be the more obvious choice).

Kind of hard to justify 'All Good Things...' getting the treatment in Season 7, as it's already a movie-length double episode. :) But what would be the alternative? 'Gambit'? Unless 'Descent' became the Season 7 compilation release rather than the season six one...

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe there won't be one for the final season.

5. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, S6 + S7 next year, but prepare for a slightly longer wait.

CoC ... interesting ;-) ;-)

6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

It was either going to be that or Descent. All the hyping of Ronny Cox's interview pretty much leaned it in that direction.

The big question is are they going to do All Good Things the same way...

7. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

What is the incentive for buying the movie length compilation disc if you buy the full seasons? Special commentaries I'm assuming, but anything else?
    It would be nice to get a release date announced for season 6, but I understand it's probably still too early.

8. FrontierTrek

Way too early. Don't expect S6 news for another couple of months.

Incentives - yes, audio commentaries, exclusive VAM docs, deleted scenes, cool packaging. It depends though, I see both sides of the argument for picking them up, especially if you're forking out for the full season sets.

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Chain of Command is the obvious choice. No one cares about Descent just like no one cares about Time's Arrow. But everyone remembers Chain of Command because of "THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!"

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

If they do do Chain of Command as a separate release I hope they can get Patrick Stewart to do a commentary. If that happened I'd definitely get it.

11. FrontierTrek

Very, very unlikely. In fact I'm just gonna say it - Nope, not happening!

12. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Because he doesn't like doing commentaries, or is his price over budget? ;)

I think it doesn't matter if they release Descent or CoC seperately, because I'm convinced in about one year time there will be a TNG movie blu ray box available with all 10 TNG movies.
    For some of them the only chance to have them like that and for others the 3rd time they made us pay for the same content. :p

13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Funny you should say that, Beta-Z. I have noticed that the choice of 'TNG compilation movies' so far does (coincidentally?) compliment the actual TNG movies somewhat:

- BOBW is backstory for First Contact.

Redemption introduces the Duras sisters, who appear in Generations.

Unification is effectively a sorta sequel to TUC, and a sorta prequel to the 2009 movie.

My assumption that Descent would be the 'obvious' choice is based largely on the fact that it has two versions of Brent Spiner in it, a little like Nemesis. :D Not an unreasonable supposition, but I would definitely *prefer* Chain Of Command. :)

At the end of the day, once all these are released the four existing TNG 'theatrical' movies on Blu-Ray will have effectively been doubled to 8 or 9, with the addition of these TV Movie versions.

14. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure this won't be popular... I always thought the Jellico takes command aspect of this episode was more compelling than the Picard gets tortured aspect. So I'd much rather have a commentary with Ronny Cox (and Ron D. Moore, and Jonathan Frakes too!!!!).

15. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The fact that they brought in Ronny Cox for an interview points to a separate release for Chain of Command. When they bring in guest stars (Dennehy for BOBW, O'Reilly and Walsh for Redemption) to talk about specific episodes, it's been for features that went with solo releases.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

What if they refilm all the future scenes with the original actors now twenty years older?

:)

17. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow! Where did you hear that? This is going to be brilliant! :drool:

18. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't help but be disappointed that they aren't going to do all the two-parters as separate feature length editions. In the way they came out on video and DVD here in the UK.

You know, even if it meant they had to double-up per disc.

"Time's Arrow" back-to-back was a favourite of mine.

But having so far had to import "Redemption" & "Unification", I suppose the writing's on the wall for anything other than the season sets.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, it'd suck because it'd be impossible to tell version of Picard is meant to be from the future.;)

20. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Future Imperfect" and that fake holodeck scenario, predicted the future better than "All Good Things". In terms of how the characters look anyway. Switch 15 for 25 years obviously. They've aged more gracefully in reality, than the heightened drama needs of looking ancient, fatter, and ill in Picard's case.