Watchmen 2?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cooke is also well known for redesigning Selina's costume. Her current comics costume was designed by him and has been quite popular since. It's been my favourite costume of hers anyway.

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could do anything with The Minutemen. The sky's the limit.
    That new artwork stokes me.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cooke was a storyboard artist on Batman:TAS. Cooke, along with Timm is a major reason why TAS looked the way it did.

4. Admiral_Young

5. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to give this project a chance ... but three covers for each book? Given some of the resistance out there (not least from Moore himself), you'd think DC might take a slightly less grasping route.

6. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  7. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Not gonna lie, I think Alan Moore is an absolute miserable, boring, moaning old c*nt. I agree with everything JMS had to say on the matter a few weeks ago; Alan Moore has nothing whatsoever to complain about. I like some of his work, but I couldn't care less what he thinks any more

8. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^Same. I found it rather rude when he said that the creators weren't going to do anything outside of comics or wouldn't be known for anything original or outside of comics when JMS is best known for Babylon 5.

Quite frankly he seems like an arrogant tosser.

And I still don't see why he thinks the contract he supposedly got screwed over by was so great. It still left the control with DC, as far as I can tell there wasn't anything that said they'd have to stop printing it at a certain date.

9. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Wow, how times change, when people defend huge corporations against the artists they screw over. :lol:

10. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I still don't really get how they got screwed over though. The contract said that if the book goes out of print the rights revert to Moore & Gibbons. But then it's up to DC if it goes out of print or not surely?

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

At least read this page of the interview. Was Moore naive? Probably. Was he lied to? Sounds like it.

"It's just business" doesn't mean it's okay to lie. It's clear from the way he relates the story that DC was selling him a "kinder, gentler" image, and he believed them. Graphic novels, as a format, didn't even exist at the time--he had no way to know that Watchmen would be so big a hit that DC would never let it go out of print. It's easy to pass judgment in hindsight, but people who are trying to get you to sign a contract will always play on your naivete and try to act like they're your best pals in the world--until you sign on the dotted line and they start using every trick they can to screw you.

Yes, obviously his take is very one-sided, but I find people blast him less for what he actually says and more for what they think he says, or what others say about him.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

And also let's consider: people keep ASKING him what he thinks about all this. What do you THINK he's going to say?

His position hasn't changed much over the years. And I have to quite admire him actually: they have offered him tons of cash, which he has turned down. Who else would do the same?

And also: I think he DOES have a point in regards to "something new." Clearly Before Watchmen is a corporate decision, not a creative one.

13. Admiral_Young

I don't see the complaint about the variant covers, since variant covers happen all the time now and are usually contained in the trade when it comes out. So buy the cover you want and if you want all of them, wait for the trade. Or just do what I do, and wait for the trade.

14. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I know variant covers are here to stay, and they help the bottom line of these companies. But when you get multiple JLA covers, you know that's the whole she-bang: a Johns/Lee project is going to be lightweight anyways (and I say that as someone who enjoyed it). However, DC is trying to make the case that this Watchmen event was both inevitable and artistically driven, and they know there's some skepticism on that last matter. It would seem counter-productive here. I suspect it would have been a better financial decision to make certain this project looked respectful of the original, and not a cash-grab alone. The more variant covers, the more people who were thinking of staying away will stay away; and I doubt there's many out there who are excited enough by the project to buy all the covers.

In other words, if DC ran with "we thinks there's good creative reasons for this" instead of "OMG we're still losing market share to Marvel even though Superman is wearing his underwear inside now", they'd actually make more money long-run. I can't be the only one whose confidence is undermined by the overkill here. As Professor Zoom says above, this is a corporate decision which will need to be redeemed, if it can be, by the individual creators, rather than a proper alliance between creativity and the profit motive.

I'm only committing to the Cooke Minutemen at this point.

15. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Watchmen was a dystopian mess with thoroughly unlikeable characters. And the movie was worse.

Now a sequel to the movie version of LXG...THAT I'd be all over!

16. Admiral_Young

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

A sequel to LXG, especially if it were based on the second volume (which was itself based on The War of the Worlds) would have been pretty awesome, five or six years ago. I'd love a good period adaptation of TWotW-- the Pendragon Pictures direct-to-DVD version is unwatchable -- and I'd have settled for an LXG sequel. :)

18. Admiral_Young

If Moore stuck to adapting the comic version instead of doing his own movie version of the team then it would be sweet...but IIRC, he purposely set out to do his own movie version. I hated LXG because of that. The comics (i haven't read any of the current stuff yet like the Century stuff) are awesome though.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Moore adapted the movie? He had nothing to do with the movie. What do you mean?

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

James Robinson (Starman, Justice League) wrote the script. Moore had nothing to do with the movie, which is why he took such offense to being deposed over "Cast of Characters" (a story that had been floating around Hollywood for a decade that brought together Victorian pulp characters to fight crime).

I had no problems with the changes the movie made to Moore's League. I didn't even mind the addition of Tom Sawyer (though he really should have been Quatermain's age, if not slightly older, since Huck Finn takes place about 1840). I thought the film captured the spirit of the comic.