DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Sykonee, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I know it was for me... I kept watching (mostly because of the TNG lead-in) but I wasn't very interested for a while. 'The Passenger' made no ripples in my opinion. :lol:

2. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

WEEK 9: (Ending 02.28.93)
    TNG: Birthright, Part 1 (Airdate 02.22.93)
    DS9:The Passenger (Airdate 02.22.93)
    B5: The Gathering (Airdate 02.22.93)

Just in case you'd forgotten, there's another Trek show on, so here's a TNG episode that takes place at DS9 to remind you. The crossover seems rather pointless, though, as a story about Data learning to dream and Worf looking for his father could have taken place anywhere. Even Siddig's guest star could have been anyone. If you're gonna doing a series crossover, how's about some more characters, eh? A follow-up Picard/Sisko scene, Riker at Quark's, just somethin', huh? Ah well, Data's story was nice enough, certainly better than DS9's episode.

Yeah, what on Earth happened with The Passenger? If TNG wanted to remind the audience about DS9, this episode probably wasn't the best one to follow-up with. The Odo/Primmin stuff was good but unfortunately treated as an afterthought to the Vantika stuff, which was overwrought at best and hokey at worst. As a funny aside, although I realize there's no official Stardate for The Passenger, if we're to take the airdates of these episodes as roughly the same chronology, then poor Dr. Bashir had one crazy day: first nearly kills Data, gets him to dream, gets to write a paper about it that would obviously give him huge exposure, saves another from death (as per some dialog at the beginning of The Passenger), then becomes possessed by an EEVVIILLLL scientist. Heck, that's one wild week, even!

Meanwhile, in an entirely different universe, a bunch of ambassador aliens are gathering at a space station called Babylon 5, one of which is the victim of an assassination attempt. After a bunch of investigations, hi-jinx, courtroom drama, and shoot-outs/stand-offs, things are mostly resolved, though with a few questions left unanswered. But hey, gets you intrigued for when the show's first season starts, right? (er, in nearly a year, that is) As a pilot movie, The Gathering is actually quite good. Maybe not as good a DS9's, but certainly better than TNG's. If anything, the cast of characters make a strong impression. Peter Jurasik, even with the relatively minor role Londo has in this premiere, was excellent!

DS9 obviously loses out on this week, and as pleasant as the Data storyline was in Birthright, TNG's episode still feels... incomplete. Obviously, the fact it's the first of a two-parter doesn't help, perhaps is even a detriment. After all, aren't TNG's two-parters usually more... epic? The Gathering certainly was, though, so sorry Data fans, but B5's first versus takes this week's crown.

Weekly Winner
    B5

Next: Week 10
    TNG - Birthright: Part 2

3. Sykonee

WEEK 10: (Ending 03.07.93)
    TNG: Birthright, Part 2 (Airdate 03.01.93)

Rather quiet week here, with a Worf character story, and not much else. Actually, I've always found this episode to be one of Worf's stronger solo outings, in that writer Echevarria got a chance to really expand on Klingon culture. And Dorn certainly seemed up for the chance to do a Worf show that didn't involve big combat, comedic kid stuff, or political drama for a change.

TNG takes the week since it was on its own, but now the show goes into repeats, with DS9 coming back with solo outings again. But... uh oh... the next couple aren't exactly highlights...

Weekly Winner
    TNG

Next: Week 11
    DS9 - Move Along Home

4. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm enjoying this thread. It will be interesting to see what you come up with once the shows are consistently running concurrent episodes.

5. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As much as I personally liked Dax (I like episodes that depend on verbal sparring instead of the physical kind), I have to agree that it could have been a good episode for Jadzia. That's definitely the biggest mistake the writers made with her character - they focus so much more on the Dax part of her than the Jadzia. The most we learn about Jadzia as an individual is a throw-away line about her sister. Everything else is about Dax - Lela, Tobin, Emony, Audrid, Torias, Joran, and Curzon, especially the later get more development than poor Jadzia. They may correct the mistake with Ezri, but it's still a sad commentary for Jadzia.

6. Praetor

Well said.

Oh, joy... my favorite episode. :p

7. Sykonee

Week 11: (Ending 03.14.93)
    DS9: Move Along Home (Airdate 03.14.93)

So imagine this scenario.

Trek's been doing great for the last few years when a new series set on a space station called Deep Space Nine makes its debut, and even manages to get your attention with a string of strong episodes right out of the gate. However, once TNG -the franchise's standard bearer now that TOS has finally 'retired'- comes back from winter re-runs, the new show's rough edges begin to show in comparison. TNG was a well-oiled machine firing on all cylinders through most of February, while DS9... well, wasn't. But hey, that initial run of episodes still showed some potential promise, and now that DS9 has a chance to stand on its own for a little while again now that TNG's back in re-runs, surely they'll release some killer episodes to convince a hesitant audience that might not be quite sold on DS9 yet.

Instead, we get Move Along Home. Problems with this include:
    -main characters whom we've yet to really get attached to yet (Sisko, Dax, and Bashir were all notoriously hard sells early on) put into over-long, extended puzzle/danger situations
    -the danger-drama scenario ends with the big "it's just a game" cop-out, leading the audience to feel gypped they invested any concern for these characters in the first place
    -Quark in far too many early-series groveling scenes
    -Kira in an extra bitchy mood (understandable, true, but boy does she grate in this episode)
    -the Wadi themselves (for the record, I actually enjoy the level of detail the producers put into creating the culture -I just know many others didn't like them)
    -plus, a 'Next Week' teaser suggesting a Ferengi-specific episode...?

Y'know, I'm starting to understand a lot better why folks never gave DS9 much of a chance after this first season.

DS9 still wins this week's Versus, but this is like the New York Islanders winning a game against the Detroit Red Wings because Detroit's plane was snowed in.

Weekly Winner
    DS9

Next: Week 12
    DS9 - The Nagus

8. Sykonee

Week 12: (Ending 03.21.93)
    DS9: The Nagus (Airdate 03.21.93)

Easily one of the best Trek episodes involving a lot of Ferengi up to that time ...which isn't saying much, sadly. But, if ever there was an episode that showed how you could milk the whole premise of the race for good laughs, this was it. I wonder how many gave it much of a chance, though -DS9 wasn't exactly having a string of excellence at this point, and trying to convince folks to tune into a Ferengi episode would probably have been difficult.

DS9 takes the week. And now it goes into re-runs again, while TNG gets some solo time with new episodes. Man, what's with all this alternating between the shows, huh? Was Paramount afraid to have its two shows competing with each other? Hmm...

Weekly Winner
    DS9

Next: Week 13
    TNG - Starship Mine

9. Praetor

I loved 'The Nagus.' And it did seem Paramount was trying to avoid competition...

10. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I am really enjoying this thread. It's interesting to see the parallels between Chain of Command and DS9. It did seem like they were preparing viewers for darker Trek. Chain of Command is one of TNGs strongest episodes, I think, with more character conflict than usual. It should have been like that more often.

11. Sykonee

Week 13: (Ending 04.04.93)
    TNG: Starship Mine (Airdate 03.29.93)

...And then TNG comes back with another strong outing, reminding everyone who's still king of the castle when it comes to the franchise. Okay, I know Die Hard In Space has its detractors now, and definitely has its share of plot holes (what action movie doesn't, tho'?), but it was a fun bit of action sci-fi TV for the time, especially so for Trek.

Besides, it's wacky to see Russ and Tallman in these minor roles!

Weekly Winner
    TNG

Next: Week 14
    TNG - Lessons

12. Praetor

I do enjoy 'Starship Mine.' I know I shouldn't. But I do. :p

13. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starship Mine is one of my guilty pleasures. Plus, in retrospect, it's great fun to watch Picard deliver a Vulcan neck pinch to the terrorist played by Tim Russ.

14. Sykonee

Week 14: (Ending 04.11.93)
    TNG: Lessons (Airdate 04.05.93)

The annual 'Picard Gets Lucky' episode, although probably one of the better ones -for a change, Darren makes for a realistic love interest, and the ending is at least one of the more heartfelt resolutions to failed relationships in Trek. Still, I have to wonder how many folks tuned out after the first couple acts, thinking, "Oh man, not another Trek romance episode." Er, I know I would have had I seen it first run.:alienblush:

The flip-flopping continues, with TNG going into re-runs for a while now and DS9 coming back. Dammit, these two can't keep avoiding a confrontation forever. May Sweeps is coming up!:evil:

Weekly Winner
    TNG

Next: Week 15
    DS9 - Vortex

15. ltcmmanderdata

ltcmmanderdata Lieutenant Commander

interesting topic. i liked starship mine too. starship mine had tim russ before star trek 7 and voyager.

16. Praetor

'Lessons' really isn't that bad. I appreciate the realism as well, which really makes it stand out as 'not just another romance episode.' Even I, as a kid, felt this way the first time it aired.

And the flip-flopping between rerun and first run is pretty funny. Performance anxiety much? :rommie:

17. Sykonee

Week 15: (Ending 04.18.93)
    DS9: Vortex (Airdate 04.18.93)

Okay, so DS9 hasn't made much of an impression for over two months now but it's the only new Trek this week, so I may as well check it out and- Oh, man, the beginning looks like another Quark-centric episode. May as well just tune out and- Huh? I should stay tuned? But why, it doesn't look like- Hey, this is actually about Odo and his origins. Hm, now this is interesting. Say, this is actually pretty good.

See, now this is how a new franchise show should be using its solo time while TNG is in re-runs, not using silly fluff like Move Along Home. S1 probably wouldn't have gotten the nasty rep it did had they slotted Vortex in that March sequence. Instead, it was quite the gulf between quality episodes that could draw in an audience.

Weekly Winner
    DS9

Next: Week 16
    DS9 - Battle Lines

18. Praetor

Yeah, 'Vortex' was an early gem. :cool:

19. Sykonee

It's remarkable how much this episode goes to describe Changling culture, even if it was probably unintentional at the time (was it?). After all, the audience is still left with as big of a mystery about Odo's origins as before, considering Croden's Changling stories were mostly just fanciful tales.

I'm rather surpised Vortex doesn't get many nods for the very short list of Must See S1 Episodes.

20. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm surprised too, Vortex was a very good episode and it ties in nicely with what we learn about the Founders later in the series. It is definitely one of my essential season 1 episodes along with Emissary, Captive Pursuit, Duet and In the Hands of the Prophets.