Which TV character's death moved you the most?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Rowdy Roddy McDowall, Jul 17, 2014.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yes??? They killed off an entire prog rock band??

2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Backstage at Woodstock:
    Guess Who's in first?
    Who.
    Who?
    Yes.
    Yes is on first?
    No, Who's on first.
    Who, Guess Who?
    No, Who.
    Who?
    Yes.
    So Yes is on first?

3. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The end of Blackadder Goes Forth.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM[/yt]

Bugger.

4. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Certainly Henry Blake. I remember seeign a little special on the show "M*A*S*H" adn the actor who played Radar said the cast didn't know and he came in and read the lines; the reactions being filmed, are of the cast learning for the first time.

This episode of "Scrubs" always gets me -- and I rarely ever see it mentioned. Some of the backstory is missing from the clip below: J.D. and the lady had been getting pretty friendly and talking and they had a conversation where they talked about death and she said she imagined it was like a beautiful song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMITAolIGc

Also, I agree with other posters on "Newsradio" after actor Phil Hartman was murdered by his wife while the kids slept. Online trivia states the cast had to stop several time filming, they were crying and so choked up.

Wesley from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and then the spin-off "Angel". What was so great about it is that perhaps Wesley is one of the finest TV characters ever made, who went through long, often painful, personal transformatiosn, which were all believable; and he was such a good character and loved, that after about a little over five seasons worh of him (counting the BTVS episodes), it was horrible to see him go, and the bittersweet comfort at the end.

If animation counts, Robin's parents in "Batman: The Animated Series" ("Robin's Reckoning: Part 1").

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it was Foxworth's agent who double-booked him on B5 and DS9 at the same time, so he had to break SOME contract...and the DS9 bit was a two-parter, so it made him more money. Can't really fault him for that. :shrug:

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

For me, it was Xena. I wasn't so much saddened as angered & offended by the undignified death they gave her. I didn't want to watch the series again after that.

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

This brings to mind the horrible death for Professor Arturo on "Sliders." He was by far my favorite character and the only reason I watched that show. Not only was he fired because the producers (one producer's wife) didn't like him, but they took a story JRD wrote for the show, mixed it with some horrible "Island of Dr. Moreau" ripoff plot and used it to kill off the character. They completely disregarded all the science, all the research JRD had done, and not only killed off his character but blew up the planet his corpse was on. It was the ultimate "screw you."

I could never really watch it after that. I tried, but, without The Professor, it just wasn't interesting to me.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I just remembered Brendon Fraser's guest death on Scrubs. That was a great episode with a solid performance by John C. McGinley.

9. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Dan Connor from Roseanne.

Dale from The Walking Dead.

10. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was gut-wrenching the way that Roseanne revealed it in her narration of the final moments of the show. That he'd died when he had his heart attack earlier in the series and she kept him alive as a character in the story she was writing because she couldn't bear the truth. It made the closing scene of that series so much more bleak, knowing that she was living in that house without him, sitting on the couch alone.

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good call. Colin Hay is amazing and I love this song. Especially how they used it. Scrubs was great at making me laugh one minute and sad the next.

And this is also a reminder, that before her death in real life, and before I saw "18th & Potomac," Kathryn Joosten had me teary eyed in Scrubs, as a patient who didn't want dialysis to extend her life, instead opting to go peacefully:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5amRtlBUM[/yt]

Both of these scenes set up a nice, moving, and funny scene later on:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxXJ853UVM[/yt]

Not to mention JD's (first) final scene:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLsyUZ2nGbo[/yt]

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

One that just occurred to me because of the Scrubs talk.

Amber from House. They make you hate her, they make you love her, they kill her in a really gut-wrenching way.

13. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jadzia on DS9. Ianto on Torchwood. Jin and Sun on Lost.

Mr. Hooper on Sesame Street- I'd outgrown the show by then, but I had to watch that episode.

Lucy Knight on ER. Even more than Dr. Greene, because it was just so shocking and it almost destroyed Carter.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Coach from Cheers.

Crosetti on Homicide. It was offscreen, but it was the reactions of the other detectives, especially Pembleton, that did it.

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kate on NCIS. They gave her a nice farewell episode.

I'm really hoping David McCallum makes it past the end of the series. He doesn't look anywhere near his age, but you never know.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Clearly the extra attention on Palmer is meant to be a trap door should the unthinkable happen.

But I agree. I've adored McCallum for a long time. It will be a really sad day. And like you say, he certainly doesn't look 80. Hell, the guy looks like he could still be in his 60s.

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^He's always been incredibly attractive, so it's no surprise he's still good looking. He's lived a fairly clean and sober life as a family man, and it shows. Compare him to his former co-star Robert Vaughn, who is only one year older. David looks like he's at least 15 years younger.

17. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No one's mentioned these three yet.

Marcus Cole from Babylon 5,

Leslie Artz from Lost,

And Debra F@#%ing Morgan.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marcus was a dick and died a dick.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

And Carter reminded me too much of Rottingham from Men in Tights. And not in a good way because most of the time Rees is fucking awesome.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Pierce Hawthorne. Chevy stopped caring around season 4 and the character suffered for it, but losing him for Season 5 was still disappointing.