My Greatest Trek Fantasy

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Vulcan Logician, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Allow me my dream, though it will never come to fruition, and undoubtedly it's been thought of before:

A "Next Gen" trilogy of feature-length films featuring the cast of TNG, DS9, and VOY (as crotchety as they are) which would further the cannon and succinctly tie up the Next Gen franchise and (perhaps) lay the groundwork for a new "post gen" series down the road.

Each movie would concentrate on a different setting TNG enterprise, DS9, Voyager, but with an intertwined plot (A Borg-dominion alliance, perhaps). As we will never see another production with these characters, it could be action-packed, though not Abrams-style. The Sisko returns, some characters die off, we get to see interaction between characters from all three Next Gen shows. Mr. JJ can stay the hell away from this, as it will be CLASSIC trek format (though I am not a huge JJ hater or anything).

What do you think? Wouldn't that be awesome? Of course it will never happen, but it COULD happen.

2. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

...Which characters die off?

3. Vulcan Logician

Characters I wish would die off: Neelix and Alexander

Characters that may die off for poignant dramatic effect: WORF or
    Picard, Sisko, you name it.

4. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

sounds like a good idea, could have Riker on the titan though

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always would've liked to see a movie based on the Avatar novels. Though yeah... that one's scheduled for release on February 30th.

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no way something like could ever happen without it being convoluted and contrived.

They basically tried to do that with the litverse, and it turned out pretty messy. The only way something like that could ever work is in some kind of montage mini-series.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heck, you pretty much could cut out all the TNG scenes without really effecting the story with the exception of the Ro/Picard bits. Just have Vaughn on Ross's ship and it find the Orb.

8. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

Continuous use of warp technology takes their toll, leading to the end of interstellar travel.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Not even taking into consideration the amount of money that would have to be spent on actors' salaries, recreations of all the TNG, DS9 and VOY sets (just for three TV movies?), etc., the time for this to realistically have happened was right after ENT got cancelled. Now, there's no chance in hell of this happening.

Plus, you realize that all these actors have aged, right? They don't look anything like how you last saw them. "Action" is not the type of genre I'd see these geezers partaking in;)

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Avatar novels would make a fantastic miniseries.

11. Vulcan Logician

Yes, yes. It was just a fantasy after all. I wouldn't mind that they had aged. After all, The TOS crew was well over the hill when they started on the first set of movies.

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

(Your) Greatest Trek Fantasy

IMO the DS9 and Voyager crew were due a film of their own. I too dreamed of a feature film featuring the three casts, at least one last one. A joint mission, using the best qualities of each captain.

Both the Borg and the Founders shared that "bringing order to chaos" mindset but a Borg-Dominion alliance would just be the Dominion's assimilation, but that wouldn't be bad idea either. A Changeling-Borg queen would be terrifying, they clone and assimilate. How would Starfeet stop that?

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: (Your) Greatest Trek Fantasy

Gooey nanites spread throughout the galaxy!

You think your liquids are safe..

14. Elim Garakov

Elim Garakov Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Borg Dominion War would be kickass

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

How do you figure?

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Kirk and Picard had their run which was followed by the movies, I expected a film for the other two.

IMO = In my opinion.

17. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

For anyone who reads Star Trek novels, the Typhon Pact series offers a scenario somewhat similar to this, as it features characters from multiple television series. I'll avoid saying anything further for those of you who haven't yet read these books, but I would definitely recommend them if you have the chance: they're fascinating and definitely worth reading.

Back to the matter at hand, a film featuring multiple television casts is an interesting idea, but it would be difficult to bring so many actors and actresses together for a single movie. A TV mini-series seems much more realistic, as it could be comprised of a handful of episodes- each a few hours in length- that feature specific cast members at different times, but do not showcase the characters all at once.

A Borg-Dominion alliance doesn't seem a realistic premise for a new series or film. An armed conflict between the two powers is more likely, and I think, a more interesting exposition for another film. In any case, I would enjoy seeing the events of the primary timeline featured in some fashion, as I've enjoyed the way that the novels have addressed what's happened post-Nemesis.

--Sran

18. Vulcan Logician

Could a founder be assimilated? I think not. If a Jem'Hadar were assimilated, would he still require Ketracel White? If so, Borg assimilation of the Dominion might be quite impossible. Perhaps a foundation for an unlikely "alliance". (of course "alliance" is in quotes because such a union would obviously be dictated by ulterior motives on both sides.) I'm not saying it's realistic. I'm saying "Use your imagination"

19. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I doubt if his addiction would persist. After all, humanoid species do not require food or drink once they've been assimilated. It's likely that the Collective would provide whatever nourishment he needed.

--Sran

20. Vulcan Logician

Interesting point, Sran. But Jem'Hadar are at a genetic level, required to imbibe Katracel White to exist. It is more (I assume) than the mitochondria of their cells requiring glucose. The borg nanoprobes adapt the organism to the collective. The collective cannot change the physiological requirements of a species. It simply provides these requirements in a different way than intended by nature. Am I mistaken?