Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It'd be a chance for an aging Luke to learn more about the mother he never knew. Anakin's ghost could tell Luke about Padme and what she was like, provided he hadn't already told both of his kids about their mother in the intervening years between JEDI and Episode VII.

"Father...tell me more about my mother."

"She was a kind and a beautiful woman, Luke. And I loved her so much that I gave up everything...including my soul...because I wanted to save her..."

Something like that.

2. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are they kidding with this shit? Oh well, at least there will be more hilarious Red Letter Media content as a result.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It's also worth noting that despite Disney buying Marvel, The Avengers opened with the Paramount mountain and the trailer for Iron Man 3 shows the same.

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That's precisely my point; Walt Disney Pictures is not the only studio label that Disney owns, nor is it the only label under which they release their films or allow their films to be released, so suggesting that we won't see the iconic 20th Century FOX logo and hear its accompanying fanfare with SW Episode VII just because Disney now owns Lucasfilm makes absolutely no sense.

5. cooleddie74

Yep. In fact, I don't recall seeing a glimmer of a Disney logo when any of the Iron Man or Avengers films started. You saw the Paramount mountain then heard the audible flipping of the comic book pages that leads to the Marvel logo appearing on the screen. Then the films began.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That implies the ST will be about Luke and Leia and not a future generation. I think the latter is more likely.

7. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I genuinely don't care what happens before "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That's only because of a prior deal. Starting with Thor: The Dark World, the Paramount logo will be gone.

9. DigificWriter

Says who?

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Damn, now I can't remember where I read it. I just remember reading that the Iron Man 3 is the last movie that'll have the Paramount logo in front of it.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love to see the original cast members in supporting roles. But, IMO the main character really needs to be a member of the next generation of the Skywalker family, whether it's one of the members of the Solo/Skywalker clan from the EU or a new character. I think it would be cool if each new trilogy focused on the child/children of the previous trilogy's main character(s).

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Seconded...

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

That's because of the deal between Paramount and Disney about Disney taking over the distribution rights for the Avengers and Iron Man 3. Alongside with paying them the 8% they would have gotten for distributing the films, Paramount was to be given credit over Disney. All Marvel Studios films from Thor: The Dark World on will have the Disney logo over them.

With Star Wars however, there was no distribution deal already in place for Episode VII like there was for Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Avengers, and Iron Man 3. It's a straight up Disney production, so it's very unlikely that the Disney will not show up.

14. DigificWriter

JD: What existing information we have on the ST indicates that the droids will likely be the only characters to appear in all 9 films, although I sincerely doubt that they will be the only familiar characters connected to/with the ST; I think it is very likely that we will see at least one of the 'big 3' appear in at least one of the films, even if that character doesn't make it to the end of the trilogy, and, again based on what existing info we have, I would suspect that Luke is the most likely of the 'big 3' to be utilized.

15. cooleddie74

A fellow SW nut reminded me recently that JEDI's opening crawl has only three ellipsis at the very end of the text while the five other films in the Saga each have four. I wonder why George never corrected that so his crawls would be uniform across all six movies, but perhaps that was something so small that he either didn't notice or didn't care.

He'll insert a completely unnecessary CGI Dug into Jabba's Palace that lasts all of one or two seconds but I guess even this is too small and nitpicky for the guy.

16. Slurms MacKenzi

Slurms MacKenzi Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The best news really is that McCallum has left Lucasfilm with Kennedy filling his role as executive producer. The guy always seemed a little bit too "L.A." (if you know what I mean).

17. DigificWriter

The Hollywood Reporter just posted an article stating that, although Disney now owns Lucasfilm, they do not currently get the distribution rights to the Prequel Trilogy or Episodes V and VI; they won't acquire the distribution rights to those films until 2020, and won't ever acquire the distribution rights to Episode IV, which will remain with 20th Century FOX "in perpetuity".

This does seem to muddy the waters a bit regarding speculation that the Disney logo will appear at the start of future SW films, but I'd expect that somebody will 'give' and we'll see a resolution to this rather prickly situation at some point.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

IIRC, this was the condition on which FOX gave the merchandising rights to Lucas back in the day.

19. KalEl

KalEl Lieutenant Commander

I would love to see Luke in the mentor role, but more as Yoda was. I don't care to see Lea and honestly, unless they do the character right, I don't care to see Han. I love Harrison Ford, but I just can't envision an old Han Solo and Carrie Fisher, ugh. I do think that there should be more than just the Jedi as the good guys. The one thing that concerns me is how many times can the galaxy be in peril or the force out of balance? I think a struggle to hold the alliance together or a Jedi civil war could work as the sequel saga. The think that really needs to happen is a completion of the Skywalker legacy and a passing of the torch. Luke should definitely play the mentor to the person he thinks should be his successor and there should be some kind of internal struggle. Perhaps even Luke has a conflict because he's old and the Dark side is harder to resist. There's so many directions you could take it. You could have an entire group of people who hate the New Republic or even the Jedi and blame them for the Empire. There's a gold mine to be tapped and I'm really feeling hopeful that they will not focus on CGI and Gungans, but story. I even wouldn't mind seeing Force Ghost Ewan Mcgregor, but I'd rather Luke say something like eventually the ghosts fade away, just so we don't have a bunch of Force Ghosts giving Luke advice and still trying to run the show. They could also ignore the medichlorians by making it where some people are just chosen by the force or just continue to say, " the force is strong with this one." No need to even mention medichlorians. Anyway, we got a couple of years to discuss all of that. This is huge news.

20. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

As a brief aside, is it wrong that my brain flips OT when I see it in different contexts. For Star Wars I think "Old Testament" and for the Bible I think "Original Trilogy." After all, the ancient rabbinical scholars broke it into the Law, the Prophets, and the Writings...

--Alex