Space: 1999 arrives on Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've never seen it. Is it worth taking a look at? And is it worth taking a look at on Blu-Ray?

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the first season definitely is. The second season (if they release it later), not so much.;)

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I read that this was broadcast in HD widescreen in the UK. I wonder if they will be using that transfer or OAR or preferably a combo.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ AFAIK, the US Blu-Ray release will be in the original 4:3 ratio.

6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't wait.

7. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Helena Russell was ace. She had two expressions: with lip gloss and without lip gloss, and she handed out sedatives like sweets. Plus they had amazing sci fi shoes that clicked even on carpet. The Eagles were awesome too - every kid had one of them and a Thunderbird II in the seventies.

8. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG borrowed heavily from the aesthetics of this show.

I loved Space 1999 when I was a kid, expect I'll pick this up.

9. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

This show has really good model work, some of the other effects leave much to be desired by today's standards, but the miniature work was way ahead of it's time for a TV show.

10. Gary Mitchell

I still have one of the 44" Mattel Eagles. Some day I'd like to fix it up and try to replace some of the missing parts.

11. rafterman1701

rafterman1701 Commodore Commodore

Sweeeeeeet. I'm on board with this. Love the show.

12. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Is it going to suck less?

13. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

a link to a good piece on the BBC Studios site about their new restoration of the Space: 1999 - The Complete Season 1 episodes for Blu-ray.

Unlike TOS-R & Twilight Zone Blu-ray discs from the Original camera negatives, Space: 1999 is from a 1st generation print, so a slight loss of resolution, sharpness, color information.

14. Gary Mitchell

You don't want to be strangled again, do you?:devil:

Many of us recognize that the show has flaws but most shows do. I was in the hospital often when I was very little and Space: 1999 was one of the only things I could look forward to.

15. Gary Mitchell

Thanks for the link jeffriestubes8.

16. Crewman Wunline

Crewman Wunline Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Aah, "Moonbase Alpha"...Yeah, it was pretty low-res even when it was new, by modern F/X standards. But back then, it was a breath of fresh air. Personally, I loved the shots of models of spacecraft taking off from and landing on miniature launchpads. They evoked Luna's airless surface better than any other show to date.
    But then, the writers took in in a weird direction, with interdimensional travel, and it got harder to suspend disbelief.
    Now that there's finally a real chance of a REAL Moonbase, I propose that we name whatever its center turns out to be, "Harriman Square."

17. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While the visuals and much of the character's serious, sedate atmosphere were strongly influenced by 2001; the series itself was no stranger to bizarre space opera happenstance and sci-fi paranormalities. Pretty much the entire premise of the moon propelled out of Earth's orbit and periodically warping in and out of solar systems as part of a natural progression doesn't withstand much scientific scrutiny, but such is the way of things.

I think it's got a dozen pretty fun episodes in the first season and a visual aesthetic that I've always liked (I grew up with this show, really) so I might go and grab the Blu-Ray. I'm not a huge Gerry Anderson fan; and British sci-fi TV is largely something I give a pass to, but I've always liked this one show.

It's funny to think the show is now set eleven years in the past; and I remember when 1999 sounded like some distant future year (even when it was less than a decade away), memories...

18. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

Well, the greatest and most visually impressive sci-fi show ever made comes to bluray. Network DVD have just announced a British release, which I suppose would be a preferable option - one presumes it would run at the correct speed for a start. However, I was just wondering whether it owuld be worth investing in this. I've already got the Network DVD set, which is fantastic quality - and in straitened financial times, I seriously have to wonder how much better it can possibly look. I'm also aware of the fact that the DVD exposes some of the production techniques - wires and so on - and for instance, Peter Cushing's ethereal world in Missing Link looked dreamy and strange when I saw it on VHS - now I can quite clearly see it's filmed inside a back-lit tent! Do I really want any more clarity? How much is too much? If it shows us things that the creators never intended...

19. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had such a crush on Martin Landau. God, what was wrong with me?

But then I also preferred Spock to Kirk, and liked James Coburn. Strange, these are all skinny guys ... I've preferred big guys (tall, broad-shouldered, big-chested) to skinny ones for decades.

20. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

This was another show I never expected - in fact assumed - couldn't be released to Blu-Ray. Nice to be proven wrong. And the fact they're "restoring" not "redoing" is something I applaud. Just shows again how unnecessary the redoing of the special effects on Trek TOS was (though that was proven when the unaltered TOS episodes came out on Blu-Ray).

Definitely one I'll consider getting. Now that A&E has Blu-Ray'd The Prisoner and Space: 1999, does that mean UFO, the Supermarionation shows, and Farscape (recently reissued by A&E) might be next?

Alex

PS. This will probably be my last post here. I won't name names or point at specific threads, but the atmosphere at TrekBBS has become extremely unwelcoming in recent weeks for anyone with opinions about TV shows, formats, etc. and I really am not interested in getting flamed every time I open my mouth. Hell, someone's probably gonna flame me for knocking Trek Remastered on this post. Well, have at it. I'm outta here. Which is a shame because I wouldn't have known about Space: 1999 on BD if it weren't for this board. Fortunately I can still read threads without having to contribute, so I become a lurker...