ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

When I originally saw Regeneration, I thought it was was very good, but not great. I've watched it on Netflix, and the quality of the picture seemed better than I remembered on tv. A lot of detail stood out that I hadn't seen before and there's genuine atmosphere and sense of danger. So maybe it was the "glossy" new look, but I have a higher opinion of it than I originally did.

Looking at the bluray reviews for season 1 and 2, it looks like the general feeling I've seen lately that Enterprise is a lost "gem" seems to be spreading. The blurays are a big part of it.

Im a little behind, I think I'll buy season 1 tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

The commentary track for Regeneration with John Billingsley and his wife Bonita Friedericy is rather hilarious.

Enterprise has definitely grown on me and I will continue to purchase the blu rays. Season 2 strikes me as the weakest season of the show, a few entertaining outings, but far too many uninspired, tired rehashes of overdone Trek tropes. Very interesting to watch Brannon Braga in interviews and especially interacting with the cast after many years. Hard to tell just how much of his humbleness is genuine but interesting insights into what was and what might have been without so much studio pressure.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That's good to hear, I look forward to it. I love Billingsley's style. I still laugh at him in Trekkies 2 wondering if someone somewhere is taking a "Billingsley Break". :D

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Watched the first three episodes - up to "Minefield". IMHO, there's a small but noticeable increase in HD picture quality over the season 1 release. Not anything to jump up and down about, but certainly a step in the right direction.

Perhaps season 4 will have some genuine "HD pop".

5. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

At least the first two seasons of ENT were shot in a very soft/flat manner. VOY will look the same way if it gets remastered, they shot it in the same style.

We’ll have to see if there’s a change in S3 and S4, I seem to remember the style changing in S3, certainly in S4.

6. LOKAI of CHERON

My thoughts exactly.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think Season Three was when the show looked its best. The switch to digital made Season Four look kind of cheap, IMO.

8. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For some reason mine just shipped today (even though I ordered it a month or so ago) so I have not seen season 2 yet. Honestly I am most looking forward to season 3 anyway which are my favorite; although I really like most of seasons 1,2 & 3. Not a big fan of season 4 but will still buy it.

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Season two seems a little brighter than season one. They added more colors in season three and especially four so those should look better than the first two.

10. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Just out of curiosity, do the main titles feature the original title of the series in the first couple of seasons, or were they altered to say "Star Trek Enterprise?"

11. LOKAI of CHERON

Well, just finished episode four, "Dead Stop", and I have to say, I'm enjoying the heck out of my episode by episode re-watch! I'm just not getting the the season 2 is terrible thing at all - never did to be honest. IMHO, the first four have been highly enjoyable right out of the gate. My appreciation for the show is rising a fair amount.

Next up, "A Night In Sickbay". To be honest, this is not a episode I revisit frequently - in fact, the Blu-ray viewing will only be my second full run through. I remember not being particularly enamoured with it first time out, so I'm preparing for the worst!

12. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

I don't have the season 2 BD set yet :(, but season 1 just uses "Enterprise".

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've been wanting to get one of those wide-screen monitors for the computer (not sure this monitor can display HD) simply for the wide-screen dvds I have. But I'd always have to get some kind of external Blu-Ray drive to hook up to the machine. My eyesight's getting worse every year, so it's probably not a practical idea for me anyway.

14. LOKAI of CHERON

Confirmed on this, just plain "Enterprise".

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

When the series was renamed to Star Trek Enterprise and went into syndication reruns did they change the name in the episodes for the first two seasons? I don't think they did but I'm not sure.

16. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the newly produced special features are a big part of it. Berman and especially Braga have used every opportunity in these documentaries to spin the tale as to why Enterprise was such a disappointment, not just critically but also creatively. Of course it had very little to do with them (although Braga does take some blame) but all to do with UPN and the studio. In light of these "revelations" reviewers and Trek fans seem to have become a lot more forgiving of the show's obvious shortcomings.

My opinion of the show hasn't changed. It's an okay show with some great episodes and some stupendously boring installments. Overal it's enjoyable but for various reasons it's still the worst of all Star Trek series.

17. LOKAI of CHERON

Deleted post.

18. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

What annoys me on these reviews is that they seem to be completely ignoring one of Season 2's best episodes, Cogenitor. But they love bringing up Carbon Creek, which was really just an average episode. Cogenitor was the kind of storyline they needed to do more of on Enterprise while Carbon Creek was business as usual.

19. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

For what it's worth I did not ignore Cogenitor in my review. It's a great try by the Trek writers to address both general concepts of gender and the concept that a person can be considered second-class status because of a social construct.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I like Carbon Creek far more than Cogenitor. :shrug: