Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

This show is a mess, for every decent / good episode there are 2-3 horrible ones.

Tonight's wasn't funny at all!

Kelly Jacobs was on The Late Late Show and Craig is like "The wonderful Community that NBC treats like fucking shit".

That's funnier than the show.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I really disagree, I thought this episode was pretty damn good, at least compared to the rest of the season so far. Both plots actually worked; the Jeff's Dad stuff came together well at the end (Jeff's half-brother was a bit eh but provided a couple funny bits with Britta) and I found the 'Shawshank' plot playing on how crazy 'meta' (thanks Pierce!) Community can get hilarious. Oh Abed! :lol:

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The daily show last night that were talking about pope stuff, and one of the reporters couldn't get his lingo straight...

"That thing with the wine and crackers?"

"Communion?"

"No, that thing with the wine and crackers!"

"Communion!"

"No not the Joel McHale show, that thing with the wine and crackers!"

4. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Now I am really hoping for a Diehard Christmas episode.

5. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

It's Always Sunny... did a Die Hard episode. I won't be that upset if Community doesn't, especially because in the current state of the show I'll probably be disappointed.

6. Rowan Sjet

^ If they do and it does, there's always Chuck's Die Hard ep to fall back on as well.

7. Rowan Sjet

Fuck Chang. Seriously.

8. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that was the first episode of the season I really enjoyed!

9. Rowan Sjet

I don't know how. This basically took the worst aspects of Community and combined them with the worst clichés of sitcoms to produce the one episode this season I actually hated, it was that bad. Even the Hunger Deans I just found boring.

Plus, I'm pretty sure this is the ep that lead to Chevy saying the N-Word on set. The shit he was given to do was fucking awful.

And fucking Chang! Seriously.

10. bigdaddy

I agree. I'm never on Chevy side, but this episode was insane. It just felt like a retread of all kinds of bad.

Just get rid of Chang! He isnt needed, save the money.

11. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Strange that up to this point, I was wondering if I was even going to keep watching the show, the season had been so unfunny.

But I laughed the most with this one. It felt the least forced to me, opposed to the other episodes which seemed to try way too hard to be different in that great way Community often excelled at.

12. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's wierd how interest in Community has dropped so much this season. I wouldn't call the show BAD, but somehow it's no longer GREAT. Just can't nail specific reasons down though - all the individual elements feel like Community and should be hilarious, but somehow it's just not adding up IMO. I'll finish off the season for sure.

In related news, here's an almost two-hour podcast of "Improv Nerd with Jimmy Carrane", featuring Dan Harmon. The show is generally about improv theatre stuff, but naturally with Dan Harmon on the show (he has a large improv history, which I didn't know) it's mostly about Community. He goes on at great length on the show, starting with his removal from it. A long, but good listen for insight into the show. Especially if you're into improv like me. :)

http://feralaudio.com/40-dan-harmon/

Mark

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought "Herstory of Dance" was pretty good. On par with some of the lesser episodes from previous seasons. What struck me though, is with this one and last one, they are making Pierce likable. Last week, Jeff actually felt bad for how he treated Pierce and this week, Pierce came to the rescue.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'm debating that. Last week's episode is still sitting on the DVR. I just... meh. It feels like a hollow version, everyone is going through the motions.

Eh. I think I'll stop. It's not like it's coming back.

I met check that out.

15. bigdaddy

I have no interest in watching the episodes, they no longer have heart or meaning, they are just flat.

16. tighr

I was flipping through my iTunes library yesterday (compiled over many years by absorbing the libraries of various friends) and realized that I had exactly two Sophie B. Hawkins songs. Both the ones mentioned on the show. Prior to last week, I had no idea who she was, but I was vaguely familiar with the "Damn I Wish I was your Lover" song. Clearly, I don't prefer the other song, whatever it was called.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see movies about people immersed in music that they know the words to everything and I think "What weirdos".

18. tighr

I know the words to most of the songs I regularly listen(ed) to. Pop on a 90's playlist, and I'll sing along to all of them.

Although, I do have a mind for memorization (not quite eidetic, but excellent recall). Helps when I play pub quiz or bar trivia.

I also regularly sing karaoke.

19. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I have been catching up on a few episodes and watched this one last night. I liked "Herstory" too. The Dean's "Donna Reed" in "black and white" make up had me in stitches. I love watching Britta screw up. This was a good episode.

Can someone tell me how Chang is being used so differently this season as opposed to prior seasons? He was always the annoying little prick who popped up at inopportune moments and it looks like they are building to a pretty significant conclusion to the "changnesia" storyline.

But one of the problems with the show this season is that when I watch, always in the back of my mind I'm thinking, 'but this is not a Dan Harmon episode'. It is like knowing a real negative spoiler about EVERY episode. Frankly, I wish I could un-know what I know. In fact, I think we all would enjoy the show much better this season if we didn't know Harmon wasn't there. .

20. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chang's arc was hinted at in the very last shots of the third season finale. Apparently we haven't heard the last of Central College.

I *did* like this week's episode. Possibly my favorite of the season. If it is, I wish I had high hopes for the final four epsiodes.

Incidentally, this week they didn't really conclusively say what happened to Pierce. Was he not in the "present" scenes because they filmed them after he was booted from the show? He wasn't in the publicity photo of the cast with their puppets either, though arguably he wasn't meant to be shooting that day anyway since he'd gone crazy, or something.. Still, the rest of the cast looked like they were having a great time doing this one, and it was awesome seeing them enjoy it with all this news of drama behind the scenes leaking out all the time.

Mark