The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Dec 6, 2012.

?

How would you grade [i]The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey[/i]?

1. A+

32 vote(s)
    16.6%
  2. A

52 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. A-

38 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. B+

28 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  8. C

8 vote(s)
    4.1%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. D+

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

B

Saw it on an Imax 3D screen, which was a first. The 3d was cool, but more of a novelty. The glasses are horrible. Didn't really notice the high frame rate. Picture looked slightly better here and there, but meh. I don't know what the fuss is about.

The movie itself was good. I loved Martin Freeman as Bilbo. I like him way more as a protagonist than Frodo. Frodo I wanted dead, Bilbo I root for. The rest of the characters were enjoyable. The film itself is beautiful. Effects are great. Music is enjoyable. Nothing else really stands out. It's a fun movie though.

For the dislikes, the big thing is the running time. Way too long. Unnecessary scenes. Such as the Frodo cameo which was utterly pointless. The entire stone giants sequence should have been removed as it added nothing. Too many panoramic shots. A good half hour really needed to be cut from the film. For an extended edition, this would be fine, but not for something in a theatre wearing uncomfortable glasses. The other issue I have is that while the film is a fun movie, it's very ho hum. I ended up being very bored by hour 2. It just dragged when it didn't need to.

All in all a good movie. Great by no means, but a good popcorn flick.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

That helps, thanks. I'm clearly not a vested Tolkien-ite so thanks.

3. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd rather just watch the film and decide for myself. I've been known to read critic reviews after I've watched a film, for the same reason I read threads like this - to see what other people thought - but I've never based my decision to watch a film or not on someone else's opinion, critic or otherwise.

I also find the notion postulated earlier in this thread, that people who don't listen to critics are somehow loyal only to one genre of film and blinkered to any poor quality entries to that genre, utterly moronic.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I use critics' and non-professional reviews to get an idea of the general reaction to the movie. I don't always let that decide if I'm going to see it or not though. If it was something I didn't want to see, I still won't see it even if it gets really good reviews from everybody. On the other hand, if I movie I really want to see gets horrible reviews from everybody then I probably won't see it.

5. Servo

I agree with that. There are a multitude of films that people rave about that I have never seen, simply because the subject matter doesn't interest me. I've no doubt that those films are well written, well acted, and well directed, but I'm not going to sit through a film that I know won't hold my interest storywise just to admire those attributes. I had to do that enough times when I was a film student.

That's where I differ. If a film peaks my interest, I'll watch it no matter what anyone else has to say about it.

6. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the explanations.

7. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Universally bad reviews are definitely a motivation not pay $10 for it for me, but wait for small-screen alternatives... and I also like to read reviews after I see it as well.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That's piques, not peaks.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Another nail in the coffin of the English language.

10. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Recently saw it and thought it was far better than what the critics are saying. I'm a fan of LOTR, so maybe I'm slightly biased, but I thought it was very well done. Maybe a little long, but I wasn't bored. Didn't see it in 48fps, and I'm glad I didn't. It looked fine in the other version. I was a little surprised about those stone giants. Didn't remember that they actually appear in the book.

11. Servo

Posted from my phone at nearly 2am and it autocorrected. That all you have to contribute?

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I saw it for the second time last night and enjoyed it just as much.

13. JeffreyAbrams

JeffreyAbrams Ensign

Saw it two times already, both times in HFR 3D. It IS a strange experience, but I didn't notice it as much the second time.

I agree with others who said that HFR is a bit out of place in a LotR prequel/sequel, but would have been awesome for films like Avatar, Prometheus or Avengers.

I'm going to see the 2D version soon, seems to me like that one will look exactly like the LotR films.

14. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

In my opinion, it's a bit out of place in The Hobbit, Avatar, Prometheus or Avengers, but it would look fantastic in a contemporary drama.

15. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I have seen "The hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" four times now, covering all three formats currently available in my area. Once in 2d @ 24fps, once in IMAX-3D, and twice in HFR-3D. My conclusion is that the high frame rate is a marvelous way overall to see the movie. It creates a smoothness of motion and a vibrancy in image that isn't possible elsewhere, at least not yet. If I go back to see it again, I will be going for a HFR viewing, because the standard rate just doesn't cut it for me, now.

The problem seems to be one of viewers' perception, an admitted gamble that Jackson and company were aware of. It's very different from what most are used to seeing, so naturally it might "take you out of the story". But I wouldn't say that makes it an inferior technology, just one that might need refinement and time to get used to. All of that is not meant to sound insulting to anybody who prefers the standard frame rate. Whichever format allows you to enjoy the movie the most is what's best for that person.

16. Set Harth

Actually, now that I've finally located my copy of The Silmarillion, it does seem to say what the Tale of Years does not: that in the timeframe leading up to The Hobbit it had been suspected that it was one of the Ringwraiths in Dol Guldur as opposed to Sauron himself.

17. Set Harth

I just saw this in 3D HFR. I don't see what some people are so upset about. It looked fine.

18. Silvercrest

Ah, that's right! Too bad they didn't put that in the movie. Saruman would look like less of a chump (or traitor, or just plain in denial) if he voiced that kind of suspicion instead.

19. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Interestingly enough, if it's in The Silmarillon and not in the Tale of Years, Peter Jackson and the others don't have the rights to film it.

20. Silvercrest

Hmm, I wonder where the line is drawn there. This isn't exactly a plot event that could be filmed. We're talking about a concept a character thinks to be true, wrongly so, and (without my own copy of The Silmarillion to hand) probably not even stated in dialogue in the original book. With the exception of Queen Beruthiel's cats, The Silmarillion provides the entire backstory for the other books. Surely the general concepts can't all be off-limits.

For example, the film Saruman's lesson about how the orcs were originally elves is not spelled out in the written LOTR. That's from The Silmarillion too.