Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Brolan, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Huh? At what point did you get the notion that they didn't care about winning. They might have been relaxed in between runs but once they dropped onto the hill did you ever get the vibe that they weren't trying to win or were not excited when they did eventually win? That whole post has a lot of "get off my Olympic lawn" to it. Lighten up. Just because they have a familiar camaraderie with the other nations doesn't mean the snowboarders aren't competitive.

Anyway, I got up this morning to watch the United States/Russia semifinals. Pretty intense game. I was ready to trade my coffee for bourbon during the extra shootouts.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Other than hockey, I've checked out of this Olympics.

Unlike four years ago, there is no stories out there with regards to Canadian olympians. There is no Jon Montgomery walking back with a pitcher of beer. There is Joannie Rochette skating her heart out just after her mother just died.

I blame two things:

1) Bland media coverage here in Canada. Not only has the CBC, who has the rights this year, trotted out broadcasters who make it boring to watch (Jim Hughson/Craig Simpson/Glenn Healy will put you to sleep during a men's hockey game), any commercials leading up to the games were moreso confusing than to illicit any national pride.

2) Political games. This Olympics has been marred by what the International community thinks of Russia's anti-gay laws. Here in Toronto, the big debate has been about whether a gay pride flag should be flown over city hall as a show of solidarity. I am a firm believer that the Olympics should be about the competition, but this has overshadowed by both sides. On the reverse side of it, photos out of Russia have made it look like the communist Russia of old is back and that has only stoked the fire of opponents.

At this point, I can't wait for them to be over.

3. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

It's like watching the Olympics on take place on the death star, just a bad vibe over everything.

4. Cato

Cato Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, he's just a jackass. He's more concerned about making money on video games than competing. By contrast, Tony Hawk always seems humble and thankful. He comes off as a much better person.

5. Cato

Cato Lieutenant Commander

It's a shame that Plushenko(is that spelled right) had to bow out, he's probably the biggest sports star in Russia and I'm sure a lot of people came only to see him.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And Team GB, will manage it's best Winter Olympic medal hall since the 1924 Winter games.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Just finished watching the Women's Hockey gold medal game. What an amazing comeback by Team Canada to win the gold!

8. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah that was awesome. :D

9. Savage Dragon

Despite the fact that the linesman almost gave the USA the game too!

10. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

That damn game put us into mourning in Minnesota ("The state of hockey"). Let's hope the men do better.

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Let's not.:mallory:

12. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I saw that one on Facebook this morning. What a sad, sad little boy. No one wants him.

Anyway.....regardless if you are north or south of the 49th parallel, here's hoping for an exciting game!! It's just minutes away. Let the beer flow.........

14. Savage Dragon

Well that was a great game. It's going to be a very early morning on Sunday though.

15. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

16. Savage Dragon

And Finland just dropped USA 5-0 in the bronze medal game.

17. Danny99

When the games move to South Korea next time around, does anyone know the time difference?

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Danny99

So the same as Sochi basically?

20. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Great tournament by the Canadian team. Defense was off the chart awesome. Toews with the game winner and now has two gold to go with his two cups. A real pleasure to watch him play here in Chicago.