The Dark Knight Returns animated movies news

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 23, 2012.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was referring specifically to the part of an aging Batman in a TDKR movie, but thanks. Sorry I wasn't more clear what I meant.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I saw it last night, and generally enjoyed it. I missed some of Bruce's inner monologue and wanted to see Batman holding the flag-draped corpse of the general, but hey, it's as close of an adaptation as any, so I won't complain about nit-pickery stuff.

Can't wait for part 2.

3. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really enjoyed it - it had the "feeling" of the original Frank Miller graphic novel without looking so forced that it was almost a joke, but I do like the visual tricks they did with some of the sequences, especially with Two Face. The fight with the head Mutant was pretty well done, considering in the comic it was very stylized.

They impressed me, considering that they made an "old" story feel pretty fresh and almost like it could have easily slotted into the old Batman Animated Series. All you would have needed was Kevin Conroy to voice Batman - but I'll admit Peter Weller was an interesting choice. I sort of was hoping for somone more gravely voiced but then again, it was pretty cool having Robocop/Buckaroo Banzai voicing Batman.

I really am looking forward to Part 2 - but I wonder how they'll hand some of the far more sexual nature toward the end of the series. With an overweight Selina Kyle tied up in a Wonder Woman costume. Or the Dr. Joyce Brothers "Zex Und Zex Und ZEX!" thing.

So we'll see - will they punk out and go vanilla for the "kiddies" or will they keep it all in and say "hey for 'dults only!"

4. Turtletrekker

They punked out quite a bit in part one. For example-- the aforementioned General's flag-draped corpse in Batman's arms, the smoke from the joint Carrie's parents were smoking, and the big bear-hug that Carrie gave the nude Bruce Wayne in the Batcave, among other things.

5. Turtletrekker

This is the image I wanted to see...

[​IMG]

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

When I read that as a kid, I thought that Batman killed the general, which I always thought was wrong. Of course, I also thought he killed the Joker!

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That was a parody of Dr. Ruth Westheimer. Dr. Brothers is neither German nor a sex therapist.

8. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

THAT'S who I was thinking of - about 10 minutes after I posted that I was like "that's the wrong Dr." Dr. WUTH! How could I forget Dr. Ruth!

Gah I am such a bad child of the 80s.

9. Turtletrekker

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Boy the covers for both parts are horrible. The actual trailer is awesome. Though Weller seems very miscast.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

What, they couldn't get Letterman?

13. Admiral_Young

Conan has worked with Bruce Timm before...mainly on the Flaming C skits on his show, which Timm drew. It probably was just easier to ask Conan. I doubt Lettermen would have agreed.

14. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wonder if they'll change the character design to look more like O'Brien than Letterman?

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Admiral_Young

Art revealed for the cover of "The Dark Knight Returns Part II". Once again we get disappointing generic looking Batman art instead of something reflecting the actual story. Again, not knocking the actual art which is terrific, but just would have liked something that was from the actual story.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96771

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ugh. I bought Part Two but not Part One. And that's only $21 for both!

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It looks like they edited the two parts into a single movie. It was resubmitted to the MPAA, which is something they wouldn't have done if it was the two movies packaged together.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/paranoia-smurfs-2-short-term-12-mpaa-rating/

Also saw this on another board

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Maybe I can sell Part Two off really quick then...