Was Lt. Carey screwed over in Voyager?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Overlord, Feb 23, 2012.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was Lt. Carey screwed over in Voyager? He appeared now and again in season 1, but from season 2 to 6, he only appeared in episodes when someone traveled into the past, what was the regular Lt. Carey doing on Voyager in those seasons, why did he only show up in the past?

Then in season 7, he made one real appearance where he was killed off. That seems pretty anti climatic as an end to the character. Future Janeway showed up in Endgame said she traveled back in time to get Voyager home to spare the lives of the crew men who die on the long journey back to Earth, but what about Lt. Carey? Future Janeway didn't seem interested in traveling further back in time to save him and he died a few months before Voyager got home.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's called the night shift.

Carey got to be in charge completely when B'Elanna was asleep.

What do you think happened?

Two Lieutenants working side by side during the day shift, and then when they both go to sleep the Ensigns run amok?

Of course, that means that Lieutenant Carey had to report to "Captain Kim" whenever shit got real.

Madness.

If Carey was awake and on duty during the nightshift, what the hell is he doing hiding down in Engineering when he should be on the bridge?

3. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still think they could have done something with Lt. Carey in season 2 to 6, what's the point of introducing a supporting character, if all he does is only appear in the first season and then get killed off in the last season? His death would have been more dramatic if the character was better developed.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Carey did get his own action figure though.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

One might think that Janeway would automatically choose her second-best candidate for CEO as her night shift replacement, yes. But typically these second-bests are called on duty when there's an alert, serving side by side with the bests. All of these "Torres is overworked, makes mistakes and snaps at people" episodes would have been logical openings for Carey...

Timo Saloniemi

6. Guy Gardener

To take her dancing?

I mean, married women are sexier than even menopausal women, but she already broke his nose once.

7. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All the supporting characters were screwed over on Voyager. With more attentive showrunners who actually cared about making the crew actually seem like a family, they'd have gotten a lot more screentime.

8. teacake

Does anyone REALLY pine for Carey not getting story lines?

9. Guy Gardener

The characters were screwed by being shelved or the actors where screwed being left alone in some rundown tenement waiting for a call from their agent halving again their desperate ration of cornflakes per day.

10. Guy Gardener

Hell yeah!

The guy is a player.

If they had put him in charge of the away missions, Joe would have contracted a hundred times the VD Harry did. He would have Kirked the pooh out of the plot each week.

11. teacake

He is very unattractive.

I would not want to see him romancing the alien babes. I would not want to see that at all.

12. Guy Gardener

When has "pretty" got anything to do with it?

Ugly guys rule the world.

13. teacake

Well the alien babes are welcome to him. I'll just get my VD from Janeway thankyouverymuch.

14. Guy Gardener

Besides attractivenesses has nothing to do with it.

It's about security.

The half naked "alien babe" is almost always running from something five steps behind her that will most certainly kill her, and then there's this hero in a Starfleet Uniform unloading the full reserve of a phaser compression rifle into this terminal threat, that's probably already eaten her friends and family, till it's dead.

Whosoever that person is holding that rifle, saving the day, is momentarily the most sexiest person in the universe.

That is after all why Kes warmed Neelix's bed for 2 years.

15. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have liked to have seen Samantha Wildman featured more, or some new interesting side-characters like the Equinox crew, the people from "Good Shepherd"...someone!

16. teacake

Until she got super powers and now it was her that could protect him and suddenly he was just a pet rodent.

17. Guy Gardener

Love is about cultivating impossible illusions.

We transfer and imprint a lot of shit onto our selected mate they could never live up to, even if they were aware about how out of step our estimation of their resources are...

We never saw them break up.

It's an interesting question if they even got together again after warlord?

Because it would be pretty hard on her that first, he didn't notice she'd been taken over, and second that he just accepted that their love could die, which is ridiculous when you consider how she tricked Kathy into murdering Tuvix so that she could get her hedgehog loving.

She loved him so much as to kill his first born.

That's a rough sort of love I wouldn't want to fuck with or get inbetween.

Actually.

She killed Tuvix!

Maybe Neelix was bloody happy to be rid of her, he remembers being murdered by the intensity of her love because he, when he was Tuvix loved her "wrong".

He's not a spider.

Death doesn't give him an orgasm.

18. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Janeway was in love in Seven, not Carey...duh. You think Admiral Janeway cared if Chakotay never got over 7's death? (As if anyone believed that excuse!)

In TIMELES, old Kim felt guilt about getting everyone killed, but old Janeway just wanted her borg bombshell back.

19. Guy Gardener

you have to look for the most distinctive redletter moment that stamps a flag in those moments of history. What happened then and there that never happened before or after?

1. Seven and Chakotay hooked up. saving the ship before they hooked up wouldn't save their marriage. Seven's standing virginity might also have been criteria to Admiral Janeway arriving when she did.

2. Chell was about to take over the Neelix's kitchen. A Bolians tongue has a cartilaginous lining and their digestive system greatly differs from a human being, making them capable of eating foods that would make 'normal' species' sick or dead. It's possible that those 20 people not as yet dead crewmen Janeway was referring to, all died from Chell's cooking.

3. Miral Paris was heavily involved in the planning of this mission in the future. It might have been a condition of helping the Adnmiral that her local of birth was changed form the DQ to the AQ.

Any other reason is complete shine.

20. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.
    Lt Carey was the Boba Fett of Trek.
    A character that was never meant to serve any major purpose, that the fans got attached too and make a bigger deal over him than he deserved.