Ummmm… is Anyone Else Having Probs Watching Law & Order: SVU Tonight?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Ro_Laren, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Okay, I’m trying to watch Law & Order: SVU right now (it’s Feb 26th around 9 PM EST) and something really weird is happening. There is a narrator speaking over the show.
    For example, the following is some of the narration from the first 15 minutes of the episode:

“A comedian high five’s someone while looking at an attractive lady across the room.”

The scene then changes:

“Renee with Rollins”

A couple lines later:

“Benson nods and Rollins shifts her eyes.”

A new scene:

“Later Benson and Amaro head towards a hotel room door. Josh answers in a robe.”

Soon afterwards:

“Benson rolls her eyes. Night time at the club she and Cassidy sits with Finn.”

What in the world is going on??? Is anyone else watching this show right now and do you hear a narrator in the background??? I'm gonna stop watching this episode 'cause its driving me nuts!!!!!

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Re: Ummmm… is Anyone Else Having Probs Watching Law & Order: SVU Tonig

Are they doing some sort of "closed captioning" for the blind on an audio channel you may have accidentally activated? I don't have a reception-capable television anymore.

3. Ro_Laren

Well, I did just buy a new TV, but haven't really explored the settings yet. I haven't heard any sort of narration while watching any other TV shows. Super weird!

4. Ro_Laren

Now it is doing it on another station!! Ahhhh!! Make it stop!!! What do I do? I have an LG LN530B. Help me someone!!!

5. Melakon

I can only guess, since all I have are old analog tv's. I looked up the model at the manufacturer's site but the technical specs are mentioning features I'm unfamiliar with.

But I assume you have a remote and can access the tv's menu. There are probably different options for which audio channels are active. You could experiment by turning those options on and off and see what happens until it's broadcasting the way you want.

I sympathize. I bought a new flatscreen computer monitor a few months ago that I'm still trying to figure out.

6. Ro_Laren

Yeah, I have limited audio settings on my TV: stereo and mono. The Caption is set to off. But you know, I also just got a new cable box from Comcast. I'm gonna try to call them tomorrow to see if it is something with Comcast. There are multiple TV's in my house and my cable box is bare bones with a bare bones remote. There is no way for me to change any Cable settings with my Comcast remote.

7. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have nothing to say about your problem, but since you are talking about tonight's episode I wanted to remind you to watch tonight's Chicago PD as well if you want to see the full story (in case you weren't already aware of the crossover). Kelli Giddish and Ice-T are guest starring as their SVU characters.

8. Ro_Laren

Okay, I figured it out! The commentary was a setting on my Comcast remote (as opposed to my LG remote). I have a bare bones remote, but when I press the language button to get to the Spanish setting the narrator comes on / off.

Yeah, I am watching Chicago PD (since I had the TV on while trying to fix the settings). I've never watched this show before, but it seems kinda slow paced and boring. Is it always like this??? The one highlight of this show is Patrick Flueger (from The 4400). He's pretty hot!!! ;)

9. Melakon

Congrats! I had checked a Foundation for the Blind site and thought I'd found a solution regarding the SAP setting, which had been used for Spanish translation a few decades ago, but then they said everything changed with digital and cable companies, so I thought it was a blind alley (pun unintentional). Apparently you were getting what's called the Audio Description or Video Description channel for blind/visually impaired.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, this all begs the question... is there braille on the cable remote? If not, how do the blind know what button enables the narration?