Lucy Liu cast as Watson in CBS' Sherlock Holmes show

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Feb 28, 2012.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It happened. I think people didn't comment on it because, in the grander scheme of things, its a small character nuance.

Since you weren't aware of this having happened though, here's the specifics:
    Watson wakes up late and therefore misses checking Holmes out of rehab (she finds out he left on his own, effectively staging a jail break), so she goes to his house, getting there in time to see some nameless woman putting her clothes on through the open window. After the woman leaves, Watson goes inside and Holmes does his awkward 'pickup line' recitation that was in all the early trailers.

Watson introduces herself and confronts him about the rehab jail break and the woman, and Holmes is nonchalant and dismissive on both fronts, talking about the two things the way you'd talk about the weather, describing things with the woman exactly as Christopher said.

Watson later calls BS on the thing with the woman, using it to get Holmes to all but admit that he's running from the event - which she deduces involved a woman - that led to Holmes' drug crash in London.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And not just any prostitute, but a tattooed hussy whom (it's implied) specializes in bondage . . . .

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Or perhaps it was such a tiny part of the episode, tossed in in an attempt to be "edgey" it wasn't of much consequence. Perhaps it was a big deal for network, but in this era of cable it came off as more cute than anything.

It would've been a big deal, and more interesting if Watson walked in in the middle of it.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And, honestly, it's not all that unusual for detective shows. TV cops and detectives have been consorting with hookers and exotic dancers since at least Barney Miller. And let's not forget Grissom's dominatrix soulmate on CSI . . . . .

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  5. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

One word: Wincest. Ugh.

6. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the recap. It's true that this sort of thing is not unheard of, but it's still unusual, and becoming ever more so. This changes the context of the later confrontation scene. I suppose I should try to rewatch but CBS isn't desperate enough to stream episodes online as I recall.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure where you got that idea from, because the network definitely does stream its stuff online. I've watched Survivor episodes on their site before, and they have the Elementary pilot available right now as well if you do want to rewatch it.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I vote for Norm Peterson and Cliff Clavin in Cheers.

Can anyone top that for an insanely wrong pairing?

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, come on, that's downright tame by shipping standards. Whoever mentioned "Wincest" already surpassed that by a huge margin. (That's a reference to the Supernatural fans who imagine the two male leads as lovers even though they're brothers.)

10. Captaindemotion

^But have you seen Norm and Cliff?!

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^How is that worse than shipping brothers? Seriously, I'm not saying I'd like to imagine those two together, I'm just saying that shippers online have done many, many things that make that seem downright healthy by comparison. Look here, if you dare:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrackPairing

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Let's not forget the original slash couple Kirk/Spock started by the crazy fans! :p

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Sam and Dean is nothing. What gets me are the slash stories that pair up the brothers with their father. Ugh.

14. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trying and failing to find episodes I missed. I hadn't looked again since I couldn't find any last year. So, thanks again.

15. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's not exactly groundbreaking after CSI's Grissom and Lady Heather.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Even CBS comedies have references to (if not out right portrayals of) sex, including characters who pay for it. :shrug:

17. Captaindemotion

I'm just f*cking with ya. This conversation reminds me of something I read about the director Rob Reiner. I think it was Billy Crystal who said that Reiner is a sick SOB. You'd be walking down the street with him and he'd say something like 'See that fat guy over there? You have a choice. You have to f*ck him or else you can f*ck your own mother...' :wtf:

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Still not a bad show, but between his stubble and the way he dresses, I think this take on Holmes is more to try and be like "House" than the famous detective. (Who, yes, House was loosely based but the Holmes of the books was a bit more better kept and concerned about his appearance than either House or this take on Holmes seem to be.)

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

It does kinda feel like another House. Could be House and Cuddy gone off to investigate. The clothes of Holmes, the music, the prostitutes, the banter between him and Watson reminds me of House.

20. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

That's because House was another Sherlock, the show was often described as "Sherlock Holmes as a doctor".

Holmes = House
    Watson = Wilson