Who here actually works on a fan production?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Loken, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

Over the past year I have not only begun producing Star Trek: Axanar, but become a Producer on Phase II and helped a bit with a few others. (I got to work with Scott Johnson and Jim Bray from Ajax and met Nick Cook from Intrepid at Vegas) and just finished helping on Renegades, where I got to meet Tom from this forum.

So I am curious of all the regulars here, who actually works on a fan production? I am curious who is actually out there making stuff, because some people just work behind the scenes doing editing and post etc. and you never get to meet them on set. And of course some people don't do anything but criticize. ;)

The more we know each other the more we can help each other.

Alec - Star Trek Axanar

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

There are tons of people here Alec, I have been on this board for over a decade (like many here) there are many people from many productions. Phase II has the most representation here I have noticed over the years.

3. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I work on the Excelsior audio production. I'm involved with editing and anything that needs doing at any given time. While our productions are separate, several our cast members are also involved with Outpost.

4. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure you'd call what I do working, but I throw stuff together. Currently trying to raise our standards. We'll see how it works.

Also, Hi Alec. :)

5. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

I write for Project: Potemkin and Star Trek: Antyllus.

Sir Rhosis

EDIT to add: In reading the original post again, I think you might be asking for on-set personnel, which I am not. I'm a few hundred miles away from both productions I mentioned.

6. tobiasrichter

tobiasrichter Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think Alec means all that actively are involved in a production, and that includes writers - I think they are one of the most important participants!

Me, I just make pretty pictures - currently for Phase II, Axanar and Renegades...

7. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

I'm working as an actor and producer on the Sulu fan-film Yorktown: A Time to Heal.

8. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I'm the creator/executive producer for Project: Potemkin. I also serve as a director, an editor, a VFX artist, a writer, a set builder, a makeup artist, and a janitor as needed. We have videotaped a total of 24 episodes/vignettes, with 10 currently on-line (and another to be added on-line within a few weeks). We also have 6 other vignettes ready for release, and plan on releasing them monthly after "Night" is released.

We have worked with cast and crew from Phase II, Starship Farragut, Starship Lexington, Starship Reliant, and Starship Valkyrie. (S02-J "Closing Time") We have provided unwavering support to Star Trek: Antyllus and the forthcoming Star Trek: Ironsides.

Our 2000' sqft studio's sets are open for use to anyone interested in shooting on them.

9. Auroratrek

Auroratrek Lieutenant Red Shirt

It might be easier to say what I don't do on Star Trek: Aurora--(most of) the voices and (most of) the music.

10. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I have nothing whatsoever to do with production of fan films. I am a file clerk. I sort through announcements and pick out only those which will enable a would-be viewer to watch these films AFTER THEY ARE RELEASED IN FINAL FORM. I also link to reviews of them, so that a would-be viewer can read what others have said about these films. I have never been to a set, even when it was not being used, never touched a Star Trek uniform, even a fan uniform probably because I have never been to a Star Trek Convention. The only thing I could be construed as doing is publicity, particularly for less know filmmakers. They are listed along with the big boys. I also actively recruit people to create subtitles, particularly for the smaller filmmakers.

11. The Cutest of Borg

The Cutest of Borg Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm an editor/VFX artist/associate producer for Project: Potemkin. Sadly, being on the other side of the country, I've never actually met the fine folks involved with this production.

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Mostly I just try to help fan filmmakers with the basics of production via the Fan Filmmakers Primer topic here on the BBS.

I did work on scripts (and some production design) for Starship Exeter starting nearly 10 years ago, neither of which were filmed when production stopped after The Tressaurian Intersection, and more recently started the resuscitation of Act 4 of that. Polaris doesn't really qualify as a fan film per se, though a lot of fanfilm people worked on it.

The bulk of my film work is short subjects, music videos for "America's Favorite Dragapella® Beautyshop Quartet", and some other stuff.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  13. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

I don't work on any Trek production but am working on an independent film, still in pre-production. I follow this board for a lot of reasons, mainly my interest in Trek fan productions, plus I learn quite a bit from the experiences/advice of others.

Duane

14. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

I am an actor for Project: Potemkin. I have also directed 2 episodes and written 1 episode. In fact, it was this board that brought to my attention a fan film that was close to me in which I could participate.

15. S'kai

S'kai Captain Captain

I carry lights and stands for Star Trek Phase II.

16. Newtrek

Newtrek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi Alec,
    As you know, but for the sake of others, I've created and produced Star Trek Secret Voyage. We are in post production of our second installment, to complete our 2 part origin saga. Graphic designer turned film producer/director/writer/vfx/sound engineer/make-up artist/marketer/editor/talent agent. In the trenches I've learned volumes and wore several hats as needed to bring a dream to life. Those on here who have been able to turn their passions into a tangible product are few and far between. It's awesome how great many have been to support and encourage one another. I poo poo those that are filled with more opinion than actual experience.
    We've have only a few pick-up shots to film and a few more vfx to complete before the final edit is locked. We then hope to get it to an audio engineer (still looking) for final master edit and to work with our composer. Release is dependent on these details.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Puts on German accent... 'I pick things up and put them down' lol

18. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'm not with any production company, though I did make a one-shot animated parody film using some downloaded models years ago. Working alone, it took about 5 months to do 10 minutes. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any actual Trek fan films in my metro area of Phoenix, though there is a group doing a generic sci-fi parody here. My health is such that I wouldn't be much useful to anyone anyway. :(

19. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

I was lead artist and associate producer on Starship Farragut:The Animated Episodes.

20. Fez

Fez Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have been involved with Star Trek Phase II for a couple of years and in various positions and I also have been involved with the Animated feature coming soon "Invasion" from Starship Saladin