World War Z ratings/spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, Jun 19, 2013.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen it yet but am looking forward this Friday - interesting that Dirty Rotten Tomatoes has it at a 74% which is much higher than Man of Steel at 55%

World War Z ratings

Also, if mod would add a poll/grading sysem please - I don't know how to work that funciton. Thanks.

Several critics really liked the film despite some of the early speculation that it would be terrible:

Movie critic from BET
    And Rex Reed who typically hates everything says:

BTW for compasion purposes here's what Reed said about Man of Steel

[

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  2. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I found it very disappointing. My review is here but my main gripe is that it really didn't live up to its potential. I mean it had the opportunity to explore the world and show zombies in different locations, but the climax happens in a small, almost deserted lab in Wales? C'mon, how disappointing. Especially because you can see that sort of thing in any zombie movie, and with more gore.

I did like the first part of the movie, and the swarm on Jerusalem was cool. I also liked the way they 'camouflaged' themselves. I can't remember seeing that method before (and I haven't read the book for years so I can't remember if it's in that or not).

3. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the whole, I enjoyed it. Yes, it should have been more epic, more truly global and well, war-like. I think the structure of the book would have worked, at least as a framing device but I enjoyed what we got. Not great but not the train wreck I expected from its difficult production. I'd give it 5/10.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rex Reed is an ugly sore on the entertainment industry. It's a shame that Ebert's gone and we still have to endure Reed. Ptui.

With a 55 million dollar opening weekend it's a given fact that World War Z will not earn a profit for Paramount on its first-run domestic release, but it's not a John Carter style catastrophe either.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Man, I was really hoping that this one would bomb hard. Moderate-to-good box office won't help teach them a lesson. :(

6. Admiral Buzzkill

I suspect the lesson you want to teach them is not one they need to learn, anyway.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I don't want to teach them, I want the masses to teach them. I was hoping the whole "buy a property and change it almost completely" thing would backfire on them. They could have made this film with a different title and left WWZ for someone else to adapt more faithfully.

8. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't watched it yet, but I really enjoyed reading the review in my local paper (Philly Daily News) which basically was along the lines of how the entire movie everyone is going out of their way to save/rescue/imperil their lives all to protect the life of Brad Pitt.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

As I suspected - that's not a worthy lesson. It's one they'd have learned eighty years ago if it was worth a damn.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still hoping we get a TV show of WWZ and J. Michael Straczynski has something to do with it being that his script was reviewed and pretty much called a masterpiece that could have been nominated for movie of the year.

11. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're talking about the same masses who've made Michael Bay a household name, right?

12. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to get into the change the property debate cause I ain't never read the book. I comment solely on the movie as a zombie movie, and in that case I found it cool and imaginative. If it bombs, fine. I've seen it, I liked it, and that just means I can buy the DVD sooner.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Just got back from it. I don't feel like doing a full write up on it, but I'd grade it a B+. I liked it more than I thought I would, it had a lot of good moments in it and actually made me interested in spite of me quickly losing interest in the zombie genre of films. I've not read the source material but from what I understand there's a LOT more this movie could have explored, possibly in a series of movies. But as a one-off it worked.

Here's a question? Did the camouflage infection have to be deadly? As-in "this will fuck you over" deadly? Hell, the FLU can be deadly, why not give yourself that? Because while it's deadly it's also entirely treatable for a healthy person. Did it have to be something less treatable like meningitis or something like that? Also, I would hope the WHO stores and labels their vials of deadly viruses, diseases and bacterias better than "Yeah, don't take one from cabinet C."

14. Control Voice

Control Voice Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It was acceptable entertainment.
    Nothing special.
    Brad Pitt was better than expected, but the newcomer playing the female soldier accompanying Pitt in the last half makes quite an impression.
    The ending seems to be saying 'to be continued...'

15. Trekker4747

Yeah, the Israeli soldier chick did a really good job. I think Pitt had much better chemistry with her than he did with his wife.

16. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm so glad I decided not to see this movie long ago. I loved the book and I hated the idea of it being changed into a Brad Pitt egofest, kind of like what Tom Cruise did to Mission Impossible. The man is completely overrated as a box office star and he's made like 40 movies with only about 8 being any good.

Although truth be told World War Z would make a much better HBO TV show.

17. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Having read the book and watched the movie, I still wish the movie could have been more faithful to the book. It is sad that chapters like the battle of Yonkers, the French fighting the undead in the tunnels of Paris and the Indians blowing up the the last road to their redoubt to cut of the undead from the living and of course my favorite, the japanese otaku escaping from his high rise apartment by climbing down the balcony and encountering the undead along the way, are not in the movie.

But to be fair to Brad Pitt, he did a fairly good job. The Korean and Israelis acts were pretty good. I actually liked the last act which is not in the book.

The book is more suitable for a TV series. Each chapter in the book could have been made into an episode because of the different POV of each chapter.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  18. Trekker4747

Honestly, I don't think Brad Pitt does ego-trip movies nearly as badly as Tom Cruise does. He's actually pretty good in this, I mean it's not like in Tom Cruise movies where he's scaling buildings, kicking ass and riding motorcyles and racing cars and stuff. Brad Pitt pretty much just smooths through things like the slick SOB he is. :)

19. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it today, very, very disappointed.

It never made me care about the characters, was rooting for them all to die by end. Trailers contained every big action set piece, nothing new left over to see. Zero reason to be in 3D, unless you've never saw rain coming at you or dust drifting around. Made me realize how much I miss Walking Dead. I want my money refunded!

A big fat F from me.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So let me get this straight, the zombies in this film won't attack anyone who is terminally ill because it won't propagate the zombie virus. Since when are zombies that intelligent?!? :confused:

Or is the zombie virus ITSELF intelligent, and is using the zombie bodies as a kind of Borg collective?