Favourite & Least Favourite Trek relaunch novels?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by CaffeineAddict, Jun 21, 2013.

1. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What are peoples favourite and least favourite trek relaunch novels?

I'm working my way through (up to Paths of Disharmony - not read DS9 or Voyager yet), but so far I think my favourites would be Destiny, Articles of the Federation, A singular destiny & Taking Wing.

As for least favourites - Resistance, Death in Winter and Synthesis.
    Resistance i find to be so far out of character its ridiculous - Picard as Locutus again just seems like very bad fanfic. Death in winter I just found boring. Synthesis wasn't a bad story, but I find star trek to be terrible in general when it comes to 24th century computing (clearly the importance of backups, DR, even copying things instead of moving them, have all become lost arts in the 24th century!)

2. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no least favorites but I'm going to go with Department of Temporal Affairs: Watching the Clock and Star Trek: Destiny's final novel. Oh and Zero Sum Game. I'm far from finished with the STEU but this is what I liked most.

AOTF is pretty damn good too.

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Before Dishonour was a joke. I still can't understand how someone who wrote some fantastic Trek during the years, wrote that. Unbelievable really.

As for favorite.... DRGIII's duology is high on that list. Destiny ofcourse. All of Vanguard. The DTI novels. All of the DS9 Relaunch. Yes, even the Mirror Universe saga, which I personally really liked.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  4. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

My absolute favorites are Beyer's Voyager novels, especially Children of the Storm. Destiny and DRG's Night/Dawn duology are close, but Voyager for sure.

Least favorite, yeah, would be those first few TNG relaunch novels - Death In Winter, Resistance, Q&A, and Before Dishonor. A couple of them had their moments, but together they were disjointed, random, and a little ridiculous.

5. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Favorite? Destiny Trilogy by far

Least favorite? either the early TNG or late Titan novels

6. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Favourite: Either Orion's Hounds, or Greater Than the Sum. I found the ideas about the galactic ecosystem from Orion's Hounds very interesting, but probably prefer the characters in Greater Than the Sum, as it introduced two of my favourite TNG relaunch characters, T'Ryssa Chen and Jasminder Choudhury.

Really hard picking a favourite though, there's so much to love across the relaunches!

Least favourite: Either Death in Winter or Seize the Fire, I found both hard to get into.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I can only really narrow it down to two groups -

Articles of the Federation, A Singular Destiny, Full Circle, Unworthy, Paths of Disharmony, Rough Beasts of Empire/Plagues of Night/Raise The Dawn, The Never Ending Sacrifice, The Cold Equations trilogy, Over a Torrent Sea, Cast No Shadow, Unspoken Truth, The Department of Temporal Investigations duology, The Buried Age. And Vanguard.

The Spirit Walk duology, Before Dishonour, Zero Sum Game, Seize The Fire, The Folded World, The Vulcans Soul Trilogy, Troublesome Minds.

As you can see, there's a lot more 'hits' than 'misses'.

Probably 'Articles' as my favourite...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  8. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

My fav's have been Articles of the Federation, Destiny, A Singular Destiny, the DS9 Typhon pact trilology (Rough Beasts of Empire/Plagues of Night/Raise The Dawn), and of course, the Voyager novels by KMFB. I've dug them all, but Children of the Storm is the best so far.

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like David Mack's Cold Equations Data trilogy they're really well written and one of the best book trilogies I've read this year. I've been wanting to see Data's return in a book series..Plauges of night Raise the dawn.BY David George.Zero sum game.

10. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I would have to say the Voyager Season 8 books have been great; right from "Homecoming" up to "Eternal Tide"

Worst, I would say that after a great start, the DS9 Season 8+ books got dealt some really bad stinkers with the Typhon Pact books. The first mini-series was a real clunker.

But ultimately the worst book would have to be "Fallen Gods". Some say that "Before Dishonor" deserves the honor of Worst, but at least it's more readable than "Fallen Gods". I'm still not sure how FG got past the editors with its long passages of useless description and a subplot about the Andorians that made no sense.

11. Mage

Fallen Gods..... I still don't get it. I need to re-read it I guess, but don't want to suffer through that piece of cr*p again. :(

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorites shelf from shelfari (includes both Trek and non-Trek stuff)
    EDIT: Didn't notice the least favorites part. They would be, Titan: The Red King (not necissarily bad, just kind of meh), Before Dishonor (I've tried it twice and I couldn't finish it), Seize the Fire (I gave up after about 100 pages, I just didn't care for Martin's writing style). I really enjoyed most of Martin & Mangels stuff (except Red King) so I was surprised by just how little I enjoyed Seize the Fire.

13. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Same. That book couldn't hold my interest in the least :(

14. Mage

As many others on this forum have mentioned, I'd love for Mangels to tackle some Trek on his own. I enjoyed many of the Mangels/Martin novels, but non of the Martin solo stuff. I can't help but wonder how a Mangels solo novel would read.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. I get the feeling that a lot of what I, and apparently a lot of other people, liked best came from Mangels.

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Top Tier:
    Destiny #2
    Destiny r#3
    Destiny #1
    Unworthy

Middle Tier:
    Spirit Walk #2
    Full Circle
    Greater than the Sum
    Indistinguishable From Magic
    Resistance
    Children of the Storm
    Taking Wing
    Homecoming
    The Farther Shore
    Paths of Disharmony

Bottom Tier:
    Q&A
    Zero Sum Game
    Losing the Peace
    Spirit Walk #1
    Death in Winter

Still so much I haven't read...

17. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pulling back in time just a bit. My favorite has probably been Rising Son. I love Jake in this novel, as well as the entire crew of the Even Odds. I would love to see them again.

Least favorites were the DS9 volumes that dealt with the Mirror Universe. I have never liked that story thread, not since all the episodes after "Crossover." I've never met the story yet that has redeemed that whole universe for me.

I haven't actively disliked anything since then. There are some strong "meh" candidates in there, but no real dislike.