TBBS Fanfic Recommendations

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Naraht, Apr 18, 2005.

1. mackillian

mackillian Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've yet to see any. :(

2. Ronwald

Ronwald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In addition to both Liberty and Banshee Squadron, I would also recommend Andreas Bodensohn's USS Valkyrie and Jay P. Hailey's Star Trek: Outwardly Mobile.

3. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Quick question:

Does it matter if the recommendations are for fan fics written by people outside this forum? If there isn't anything against that, I may be able to compile a nice list of some of the works I have enjoyed so far.

Just want to make it clear I have nothing against the fan fics here, I just know ones outside the forum better and haven't gotten the chance to read many of the TrekBBS ones yet. Hopefully that will be coming soon :)

4. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was my impression that this thread was created to inform folks of any quality fan-fic, not just that which originates on this site.

5. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

Any fanfics that fit the requirements of the forum. If you're recommending anything over pg13, please make it loud and clear that you're doing that. ;) And yes, the idea was any quality fic.

6. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

^^ Thanks Gibraltar, and RevdKathy. I don't have my list of fan fic recommendations completely formed yet, but in the meantime I do have this blog that I'd like to recommend. It gives unbiased reviews of episodes in several virtual Star Trek series. I think they are all based in the same forum though, and the blog entries do contain spoilers. Scroll to the bottom for ratings.

If nothing else, I think it's a nice thing to aspire to when really critiquing a fan fic.

7. Rikerbabe

Rikerbabe Commodore Commodore

Does anyone have a link to ASC? I'm trying to find a particular piece of fanfic that was mentioned and can't seem to link to it.

Thanks!

8. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Naraht

Naraht Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would like to wholeheartedly recommend mackillian's "Snow falling softly," which has just been posted to this forum. It's better than 99% of the fanfic out there, and 95% of professionally published Star Trek novels. It's that good.

10. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

^^ Thanks Naraht, I haven't had much on-line time of late so I'm behind on my reading, a recommendation like this is very useful!

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

if anyone wants to recommend my fan-fic, feel free. the poster will immediately get tuckerised into my next fan-fic 'The Romulan War'

12. trampledamage

"tuckerised" :confused:

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

13. Walter Sochack

Walter Sochack Commodore Commodore

Could mean a noble death, saving people. Or it could mean having a torrid love affair with the curviest object on the bridge. Or being eaten, tucker being food in the Aussie sense, bonza-tucker mate, crikey. You may all now shoot me for typing that.

---------------------------------
    SIGNPOSTS FROM THE KLINGON BORDER

14. mackillian

mackillian Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I much prefer stabbing.

*stab*

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

tuckerized is nothing to do with a certain engineer. rather it relates to a Walter Tucker who would name characters in stories after fans. hence the term tuckerized or tuckerization. so being tuckerized would mean there would be a character with your real name in the story.

16. trampledamage

Ooh, now that sounds much nicer!

17. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

I notice that most of these are quite long. Can someone recommend an episodic fanfic where each episode is short enough that an average person could read it in a single sitting?

18. Scatter

Scatter Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

in the spirit of the thread i won't say anything in regards the quality - or lack thereof :D - but illustrious is roughly a 45 minute read per ep...

19. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Lynx,

Heh... don't feel too bad... nobody here has ever mentioned or suggested my work either, which is QUITE extensive, and detailed. Don't take it personally... as long as your story thread has views, you know you have a readership. Hopefully, some of your readers provide you with feedback from time to time.

20. Scatter

Scatter Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. I have a pretty decent (large maybe - i dunno what the norm is) readership, and no feedback whatsoever. It can be a little frustrating at times.

Maybe we need a writers cooperative. A small group of writers that will honestly and constructively critique each others work. Not sure if that would work, just thinking aloud...