The Doctor and McCoy

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ryva Brall, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

I was just thinking. The Doctor was programmed with the knowledge and experience - and, conceivably, personalities - of 47 (there's that number again) medical officers. Do you think it's probable that one of them was Leonard McCoy?

I'd say it's more than likely. They both have similarly grumpy personalities, and the same dry sense of humor. And then there's the frequent use of the "I'm a doctor, not a..." line. Plus Lewis Zimmerman's pet iguana's name was Leonard. Obviously, a lot of the Doc's personality is based on Zimmerman himself. But I like to think that Zimmerman had a certain admiration for McCoy, and programmed the EMH with certain aspects of his personality as well.

What do you think? Too much of a stretch?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

How well know is McCoy in the 24th century?

I think this sounds super likely especially with the iguana clue, just curious about whether McCoy would be known as well as Kirk.

3. Ryva Brall

Well, McCoy did write at least one book, because in "Message in a Bottle", when Tom and Harry are trying to create a replacement for the Doc, one of the texts they include is "Something About Alien Physiology" (can't remember the exact title) by Dr. Leonard McCoy. So evidently he's fairly well-known in the 24th century.

4. teacake

And even if not known by the folk who have framed photos of Kirk on their walls Zimmerman might have been familiar with him or admired him.

To me he's famous for dating a Dax!

5. Ryva Brall

That's right, I'd forgotten about that! Which Dax host was it?

6. teacake

Emony?

7. Ryva Brall

Oh right. The gymnast. (Unless I'm mistaken; I never can keep those Daxes straight.)

Your latest avatar just made me do a triple-take.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

teacake's gone from J/7 to J/R to J/O since I got here 5 months ago.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Teacake is just Janeway/teacake. That's why she can't commit her to any other chars. :p

10. teacake

Oh my..

I'm going to photobomb tumblr with 10,000 J/T pics of my hands and Janeway!!

Or, I've already done that.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if that a euphemism for "sexual contortionist." Since I like Doctor McCoy, I hope so.

:)

12. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't McCoy supposed to be one of the giants of the medical world (certainly in keeping with the endless myth building surrounding the OS)

I would say The doctor definitley has aspects of him in his character

one mildly off topic question (can't be bothered starting a thread for such a little thing) but how did the Doctor speak...how does a hologram produce sound (or any holodeck programe for that matter)...was this ever mentioned/explained

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the hologram can slap Paris, use complicated medical instruments, operate control panels, I think a holographic larynx would be a small thing. Heck he was able to keep Neelix alive one episode with holographic lungs.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

You can explain it by subscribing to teacake's Hand Wave Hypothesis, where an explanation that can be either canon or personal conjecture exists: The ship's internal communications speakers and personal communicators transmit the sound, while dynamic forcefields manipulate the soundwaves to simulate the EMH as being the source.

15. Ryva Brall

I always assumed that any sound a hologram produces is transmitted through speakers, either on the holodeck, sickbay, or any area equipped with holo-emitters.

Now, as far as the Doc's mobile emitter goes, I have no idea. That thing has never made sense to me. :lol:

16. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Well, Janeway did go on about how she'd have loved a mission or two with Kirk's crew and McCoy was still in service in the 24th century, an Admiral inspecting the E-D so I'd say in Starfleet in general and Starfleet Medical in particular, McCoy is indeed well known.

17. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

While he likely doesn't have to, it very obvious that The Doctor is breathing.

He is moving his tongue, moving his lips. The Doctor basically talks and sings like a Human does.

:)

18. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is McCoy famous? Helped cure the common cold didn't he?

19. Ryva Brall

I guess that's true. If a pair of holographic lungs can transport oxygen into the bloodstream, then a holographic larynx could produce sound. It just seems needlessly complicated. :p

And yes, if Janeway knew all about Kirk's missions, I'm sure she knew McCoy was his chief medical officer.

Also, how could McCoy not be famous? He's awesome.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

McCoy is one of the most famous doctors in the history of Starfleet. So it would be inconceivable that the EMH would NOT include McCoy's medical knowledge and experiences.

The burning question is, if the EMH actually met McCoy face to face (which is possible, as McCoy is still alive as of this show), how would they get along? :lol: