Favorite alien race

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jun 30, 2009.

1. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will have to go w/ the Andorians. Enterprise made them a very interresting species to follow.

2. Manisphere

Manisphere Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Klingons are easily the most developed race and culture in the ST universe. While I don't think they really fascinate me, I sure get a kick out of them every time they're onscreen.:klingon:

My favorite race, though? Vulcans. Spock simply made them the coolest.:vulcan:

Is the Borg Queen a race?:p

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Ask a difficult question...:)

My vote would be, no, she's
    the manifestation of an individual corrupted Caeliar consciousness clinging to life and
    attempting to absorb trillions of other beings, from multiple species, into one pseudo-race. :)

4. Manisphere

Manisphere Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That sounds like kinda like she's a race of one. As "singular" as it sounds.;)

5. Rackon

Rackon Commander Red Shirt

Klingons can be fun...but...

Ah...how dull of me, but I love the Vulcans best :vulcan: always have, always will.:) Spock made them very cool, and Sarek made them sexy.

Runner up race would be the Rihannsu - basically Vulcans unbuttoned.:rommie:

6. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

The Vulcan's Noun books by Susan Shwartz and Josepha Sherman:
    -- Vulcan's Forge
    -- Vulcan's Heart
    -- Vulcan's Soul, book 1: Exodus
    -- Vulcan's Soul, book 2: Exiles
    -- Vulcan's Soul, book 3: Epiphany

Sarek by A.C. Crispin is a great book on one of my favourite characters.

I remember I really enjoyed IDIC Epidemic and The Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean Lorrah.

7. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

You left out Diane Duane's "Spock's World", and "The Bloodwing Chronicles" (which also touches on Vulcans and Vulcan history.

8. terpette

terpette Commander Red Shirt

I like Trill, Andorians, and Klingons. In that order. Working on learning to speak Klingon, too. And I'll admit, I wasn't a huge fan of Andorians until that Enterprise episode where the female Andorian kicked the MACOs butts while she was barefoot in her underwear.

Karen

9. Rackon

Rackon Commander Red Shirt

And you left out Strangers From The Sky , about the first Vulcan-human contact following a Vulcan scout ship crash landing in the Pacific Ocean. This is a wonderful read and one of my favorite Trek books of all time.

I'll heartily endorse all of the above mentioned books as well, although I will warn you the Vulcan Academy Murders and IDIC Epidemic novels are entertaining but pretty "light". You'll enjoy them. They're fun for us Vulcan lovers but not especially good mysteries - I knew who the perp was in the VAMs as soon as the character was introduced. As someone who loves both Sarek and the actor who portrayed him, "Sarek" is a must read IMO.

As a Spock/Vulcan fan I would also recommend The Pandora Principle - which details Saavik's origin story and Vulcan/Rommulan conflict and has some touching Spock moments (I won't spoil them for you, you'll know them when you read them), as well as Vulcan's Glory, which has a fair bit about Vulcans and introduces us to Spocks first tour on Enterprise with Captain Pike - plus, Spock scores in this one (an historic moment for me). If you like Spock, there's also Mind Meld, which is a good enough though not great read..

I'm cautiously optimistic that the forthcoming Star Trek-Refugees by Alan Dean Foster will deal honorably with the remnants of the Vulcan populations on the new colony world in the NuTrek timeline. (Seriously, with a title like that, what else could it be about?)

I don't get the vibe from the powers that be at Pocket Books and Paramount that they're especially eager for Vulcan-centric books, nor for tales about the Rihannsu either for that matter. Perhaps they associate it more with TOS and/or Enterprise. But with the new movie I have hopes for future Vulcan stories. In fact, I'd love a series just about Vulcan history/expeditions/colonies etc. along the lines of New Frontier.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  10. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wookiees.

11. mackula

mackula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1. Romulans
    2. Borg
    3. Hirogen (I know they're not much in books, at least the ones I have read)

12. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

The Klingons
    The Cardassians
    The Romulans
    J'em Hadar
    Hirogen