Buffy's Tom Lenk officially out of the closet

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DS9Continuing, Oct 28, 2008.

1. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From AfterElton.com via The Advocate:

http://www.afterelton.com/blog/michaeljensen/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-andrew-out

Good for him, and good for Joss being so gay friendly.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

didn't he hook up with those italian broads on that Angel episode when Spike and Angel went to Rome? but all in all good for him. Wasn't he also in Tranformers as one of the hackers?

3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, that he was.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was in a chocolate ad which made it to the otherside of the world.

Those two Itallian broads were either beards or bait.

Though I'm laughing right now because of David Fury's line from Doctor Horrible...

"Next up: Who's gay!"

5. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

"Ah, Captain Archer..."

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

All those psuedo homophobia rips Warren made are now in a whole new context.

In any case, it really isn't much of a surprise.

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I'm probably not the first to think, "No kidding."

9. Caleuche

Caleuche Commander Red Shirt

I always disliked the character of Andrew as I found it slightly homophobic in how everything about him was played for laughs. He was the guy who when the heroes were out fighting was hiding at home in his pinny and rubber gloves washing dishes. His obvious crushes on Warren/ Xander/ Spike were always used for cheap giggles. There was none of the respect that Willow/Tara got. They had character outside of their sexuality and their romantic life was always treated as seriously as any of the straight characters. So to be honest I find it slightly disturbing that a gay actor would so willingly contribute to such a stereotypical character.

(Not to say anything about the fact that the first chance the Angel writers got they turned him straight.)

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

If Clay Aiken hadn't already come out last month with his announcement that made anyone who pays attention say, "really, no shit" then this would seem bigger.
    Tom Lenk as gay was nearly as obvious but not quite as obvious as Clay.

11. CorporalClegg

^
    But then, how often is it that when a celeb comes out people are sincerely surprise?

12. mostlyharmless

mostlyharmless Vice Admiral Admiral

Doogier Howser?

13. Caleuche

Caleuche Commander Red Shirt

^Or as odd as its seems now, most people seemed surprised by George Michael.

Rock hudson or Raymond Burr may be better examples of surprising coming outs though.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

People were sincerely surprised in the 90's when it was abnormal for people to do so. Coming Out is so 'yesterday'.

The gay movement has been successful in making people go :rolleyes: whatever and then say "back to some real news please".

15. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why can't you just accept that as his character? People like that do exist. Besides, saying there's nothing else to his character but his gayness is totally inaccurate. He was never even explicitly stated as gay, for one thing - we only assumed based on heavy hints. Other than that, there was his nerdiness, his wanting to follow the crowd to belong, his growth from "nothing is real" comic book life to "things have consequences" real life. None of those are necessarily or stereotypically gay attributes.

Joss has also depicted other kinds of gay men, like Larry, who was a jock and a fighter. And other kinds of lesbians, like Kennedy, who was a mouthy princess.

Also completely wrong. For one thing, the writers specified in the script that it should be boys and girls together that Andrew met at the door. I believe it was director's choice to eliminate the boys. And did it not occur to you that those girls might be Slayers under his command, and he was simply their chaperone? Can a guy not walk through a door with a girl without being labelled "straight" ?

16. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm happy for him whatever he does, but there's Tom Lenk and there's Andrew Wells, and whether the actors gay or not doesn't really make a difference to the character.

"I have swimmer's ear!"

17. CorporalClegg

That was sort of my point. Homosexuality really isn't a big deal anymore. It's such that people are pretty openly gay whether they've "come out" or not.

Therefore, the whole thing seems more for publicity than anything.

18. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

<--Not surprised.

19. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

Now, if he came out and said he's a top - that would be a surprise.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The 80s made everybody seem gay.