Paul Dini: Superhero Cartoon Producers don't want girl viewers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

A) What difference would it make if they did
    B) Why are you calling breasts "boobies"? Are you 12?

2. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Girls want Justin Bieber, One Direction & Miley Cyrus dolls. :p Possibly Katy Perry & Lady Gaga Dolls. :rommie:

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^That's the stereotype, but real-life girls have rather broader tastes, I gather. Lots of girls are interested in playing with "boy" toys; it's just societal peer (and adult and corporate) pressure that deters them and tries to force them into "proper" feminine molds.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

A) When you're constructing a robot, waste of material for example.
    B) Why, do you have a problem with it? Boobies, boobies, boobies, boobies, boobies, boobies.

5. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Two words... Kiss Players. :scream:

6. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm obviously not "up" on the news, but am I to understand "Beware the BatMan" got "yanked"? I assumed (read: hoped) it simply went on a brief hiatus until a new batch of episodes were finished.

Sincerely,

Bill

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Networks make their money selling audiences to advertisers. People 18-49 have more disposable income, which makes them much more valuable to advertisers than older audiences.

I still can't fathom why ABC axed poor Boston Legal, though. It actually did reasonably well among the 18-49 demographic (I should know, I watched it religiously). I suppose it must have had something to do with the fact that 20th Century Fox produced the show, rather than it being an in-house thing.

8. Christopher

It's theoretically on hiatus until January, which is far from brief, since it's been off the air since October 5. But when CN did the exact same thing to Green Lantern and Young Justice, I think it had already decided to cancel them by the time the delayed episodes resumed airing. So I'm not optimistic about the show's future.

9. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Alledgedly, this age group is more willing to change or try new brands, whereas the older demo becomes 'settled' and not swayed by the latest ''new and improved'', sticking to their preferred products.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'd argue all androids are inefficient users of material. The choice to construct a robot like a humanoid is aesthetic to begin with.

I don't have a problem with it. I just think it demonstrates a mindset reflective of the flaws in your logic.

That's possible. It did last five seasons, so let's not mourn its tragic early demise. Certainly, as CBS has learned, an older skewing demographic isn't all bad. At least, they've managed to make it work.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

CBS has managed to make it work with notably bigger audiences overall, though.

And agreed, Boston Legal had a good run, and a terrific ending. But it's hard not to wish there were more sometimes.

12. Christopher

And indeed, mimicking the proportions and build of a typical woman would entail using less material than mimicking the proportions and build of a typical man -- let alone the kind of big, muscular man that cartoon and movie robots are more often modeled on.

13. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Words best avoided. :p :rommie:

14. Peach Wookiee

Understatement of the century... :barf:

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The Blade show on SPIKE had a high female audience numbers, but not enough males were watching so it ended up getting canceled anyway. It's not about a high audience, but about the right kind of audience.

Toy sales are important to cartoons, I would imagine TMNT is much more profitable for Nickelodeon compared to Legend of Korra.

16. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

The problem with this, as many people have said, is when said viewership dies off and won't be there to watch said programing, as was mentioned in an article about Japanese manga:

Why Manga Publishing Is Dying (And How It Could Get Better)

What happened in that instance will happen here with TV. And that's why networks are pursuing younger viewers. (This was also mentioned in an earlier thread about the merchandising of the original Star Trek vs. the new movies.)

17. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I had to google Kiss Players to see what you guys were talking about.

OH. MY. CHRIST!!!

This was the single most disturbing thing I have seen in a long time.

18. Peach Wookiee

What has been seen... ewww.

19. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Yeah, we would have warned you not to Google if you'd merely asked about that possibility. I think I have some brain bleach somewhere... :D