BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Trekker4747, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Screw Flash. Sites use too much of that crap anyway.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I honestly don't even know anybody who owns a desktop anymore. Everybody I know has laptops.

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^I have a desktop and no laptop. How's that?

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

No! That's not possible!

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

(shrug) As long as the people who buy the iPad are happy with their purchase, more power to them. I initially thought it might meet my needs...and in some ways it would have. In other ways it was more expensive than equally good if not better alternatives, and it's still too early to tell whether the Pad will live up to its hype. So I went a different route that I'm happy with thus far.

Of course, if someone wants to buy me an iPad, I'll be happy to let everyone know which option works out better for me. :)

6. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trekker

What is wrong with you? Seriously. You don't want the product, thats absolutely fine. But why the hell are you trying to judge for another what is best for them? Do you understand how extremely irrational that is?

And I am extremely curious, do you do this for every time of product out there?

Do you go an tell people that brand of pen is too expensive, get this brand instead it does more? How about appliances, after all they have a much larger price difference then any personal computer I have ever seen. Do you post over and over again about how its wiser to get this one and not that one? What about Groceries after all there is a host of differences between brands of the same type of foods, do you hang out at the market and try and educate shoppers on what is the best bran cereal?

I mean really, what is your problem?

Look at me, I have one, I like it. It fells my needs. But I haven't once recommended anyone to purchase it. But i have no problem with someone who doesn't want one. I don't like laptops but many love the hell out of them, you don't see me saying that people shouldn't get one.

Now if Brent asks you, Trekker4747 which device do you think I should get, then by god knock yourself out. But until then what the hell are you doing?

7. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And that s great. People should get what works for them, by it due to finances (which for many people is a big factor, for others its not at all), do to design, due to options, or hell just gut reaction.

But its always your choice. Not mine to tell you to buy or not to buy. I can't tell someone else with any degree of accuracy what it is that works for their individual needs.

It's the wonderful thing about free choice, and having a market that supports so many options.

8. A big part of it is just Apple loyalty, you can tell by the way they embrace the Apple gatekeeper software model on iPad, and the good old "deficiency is actually a feature!" responses. Like the lack of Flash or multi-tasking.

9. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Simple question about the iPad - can you listen to music and use Safari or iWork or so at the same time?

10. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I'm going to answer something that I'm not 100% sure of. I just tried my Iphone and the answer is I can listen to music and use safari at the same time.

So since the Ipad has been described as a giant Iphone or Ipod Touch, it stands to reason that the Ipad does as well.

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I do think it's funny that people are convinced the iPad is a new kind of product, when keyboardless tablets have been around for years now. The main selling points for the iPad are:

1. Price. Believe it or not, the iPad is substantially cheaper than those keyboardless tablets!
    2. The App Store. Whine about vendor lock-in if you want, but Apple has a pretty nice application ecosystem going.
    3. Simplicity. I've seen a lot of people talking up the iPad because they actually like that it's not a full-featured tablet computer. I think that's weird, but it's evidently a plus for a lot of folks.
    4. Built-in 3G. This is not a common feature of tablets/notebooks in general, so I'll give credit where credit is due here.
    5. It's Apple. That does count for a lot.

I've said before that I'm not convinced there is a mainstream market for these things, but they've already sold more in one weekend than the iPhone 3G did at launch, so what do I know? If nothing else, they might renew interest in the keyboardless tablet PC, which isn't the worst thing in the world. :)

Also, the griping about the lack of Flash is irrelevant--HTML5 is the future, supported by the iPad, and does what most people expect of Flash, namely: streaming video. Flash for video has never been anything other than a stopgap while standards catch up.

12. Flavius

Flavius Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure.

13. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw the Marvel app. If they ever expanded it to have the latest and greatest (or just a very large part of the Marvel library), I would seriously consider an iPad.

14. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I can see how an iPad might be extremely helpful to pilots for navigation and situational awareness. However, they'd need to put a GPS chip in it before that really took off.

15. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

The 3G version is supposed to have A-GPS. "A" for assisted. My wifi version has some sort of location function, but I don't know if it is A-GPS or not. I've read that it doesn't have it. I do know that it was able to locate me really quickly in the Google Maps app and it determines your position for a neat little astronomy app I downloaded that is able to label everything accurately when you hold up to the sky. It moves and responds to the direction you hold it. A combination of wifi location and the digital compass tech?

16. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Like the iPhone, you can run multiple Apple apps. What isn't supported is running multi-tasking between 3rd party apps I believe. But what you propose is very much possible.

17. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

18. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

It could grip it by the husk. :wtf:

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

How about this? I'll ask you when I want your opinions on how I should post, OK?

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well it doesn't matter! Will you go and tell your master that Steve from the court of Jobs is here!