The Down Under Lounge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by teacake, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

That video is slightly wrong - mother kangaroos are all called Skippy, unless they are from the Punjab (and then their name is Skipinder)

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTxQ2sKqOHI[/yt]

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I seriously died laughing Jono.

3. Miss Chicken

I actually wished Indian call centre workers did speak like that - I might actually understand them.

4. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

For those who haven't seen it for a while, for those too young to have seen it, or for those of a foreign persuasion...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45zyxd-xEqQ[/yt]

5. Australis

No love for Australiana? :(

6. Australis

Moving on.

Any thoughts about Clive Palmer's Chinese comments? It does seem he's dragging his personal business into the public arena, and doesn't seem to be helping anyone.

And the Budget? I'm surprised the Govt are having so much trouble selling it. Not that I think it's any good (big dead smelly thing really), but you think they'd get a clue from all the fuss it's kicking up rather than just expecting the public to roll over and accept it.

7. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

What do you expect from Clive Palmer and his PUPS?
    And if Clive doesn't want everyone to interpret his remarks as being racist he's got to learn not to make them on TV in the first place. They had some old school radio commentators over the coals for similarly racist remarks yet Clive seems to have gotten off scot free in comparison. Like he's just a Queenslander and they can't help themselves.

I'm thinking of a pattern in Tony Abbott's budget.
    Now his girls are out of uni, make kids pay more for university (not that his kids paid in the first place).
    But soon they will be getting married and having kids so the paid parental plan is needed.
    I wonder if they're 'rich' enough to drive cars?

8. Miss Chicken

I think Jacqui Lambie's comments were even worse than Clive Palmer's. Lambie is such a stupid person.

9. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

[briefly exits anti-politics mode]

I'd always thought Queensland had the mortgage on churning out (a seemingly endless supply of) completely imbecilic politicians; I was actually surprised that Tasmania has produced that...individual. Her remarks were beyond idiotic.

Palmer isn't even a halfwit. A thousandth-wit, perhaps. As (equally) despicable, contemptible, hypocritical and morally bankrupt as the major parties are, people need to stop wasting their votes on cretins like him.

[re-enters anti-politics mode]

10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Tassie gets its share of crazy politicians because 'Independents' can get into the Senate because of the smaller number of votes needed.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  11. teacake

Queensland is seemingly still under the Curse of Joh. But this curse is spreading.

12. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The Queensland election next year might not see Labor returned but going on current polling the LNP is going to be slaughtered and only the sheer number of seats that hold at the moment saving them.

The LNP might also hold on to goverment but Campbell Newman could his seat.

November will most likely see the Libs in Victoria tossed from office after only a isngle term. Current polling has them trailling labor on 2PP 55/45 with a 32% primary.

We're also coming upto the first year annivesary for the abbott government and it continues to lag 52/48 (an aggregate over several polls). LAbor should get out and hammer bullshit on the $7 doctor levy to make sure that the only reason the coalition came up with the medical research fund was their first justification for it when downlown like a shit sandwich on moudly bread.

13. Miss Chicken

Can you name these crazy politicians. The Tasmanian Senate seats that haven't gone to Liberal or Labor have been taken by the Greens or Australian Democrats or the Independents Brian Harradine (who was a senator for 30 years) and Shayne Murphy. Harradine was quite religious but not in a bat-shit crazy way. For the majority of his Senate years Murphy was a member of the Labor Party.

Edited to add - one has to go back to 1971 to find any other Independent Tasmanian senators - Mike Townley and Reg Turnbull. Michael Townley ended up joining the Liberals for the election in 1975 and continued being a Senator until 1987. I can't remember much about Reg Turnbull.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  14. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

The electronics stores? They stopped being his years ago, even though they still use his name.

Not his image though. I wonder why haha

[​IMG]

I remember when I was a kid Dad would take me to Dick Smith and I would stare in wonder at all those electronic components and diy kits and things. Freakin awesome. I went into one a couple of weeks ago and it's all gone. All gone. They sell consumer electronics now. Really sad.

Jaycar had a better range anyway :scream:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  15. teacake

Hey Nick, how was your america journey?

16. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Bank busting. I had to put it off till next year for want of funds.

17. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Think they were sold to a company called Adelaide Steamship and later sold on.

I can remember the big DSE catalogues of the early to mid 1980s with stuff ranging from electronic companents to CB radios and the rest.

We also had Tandy and their Radioshack range of products (not to mention their TRS computers).

Can anyone remember which of them had the 200 in 1 electronic kit? I can remeber getting one for Christmas 1983.

18. teacake

Oh I'm sorry to hear that! Welcome back to the BBS though :)

19. teacake

I just drank this beer from tasmania, it is super disappointing:

http://moobrew.com.au/beer/dark-ale/

I've seen Moo Brew on a few beer lists but always got distracted by something else so when I saw it in the local bottle shop I thought I'd try one. Nothing bad about it, but pretty damn dull and certainly not worth the price (a four pack for 22.00, pfft!)

It's too thin. Decent coffee notes though.

20. Australis

Weather's been wild today, but at least I have a warm jacket and water-resistant shoes (in place of the usual leaky ones).

The Govt is complaining too much money is out of circulation, hoarded by rich bastards and criminals (sometimes not one and the same).