Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis... What's next?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Dec 8, 2014.

1. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis are my two favorite shows of all time. I heard about an Atlantis movie but then this disappeared.

What's next for the series'?

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A reboot, probably.

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

What next... Stargate Universe, of course ;)

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, this.

But after that, probably nothing. Stargate has been off the air for years.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ We'll see if this Emmerich-helmed reboot project ever actually happens.

As far as the TV universe goes, Stargate Universe is the last installment, and, IIRC, it, like Atlantis, never actually got a true resolution.

7. Spocktapus

Spocktapus Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah, what everyone else has been saying. There are two seasons of Stargate Universe, and that's it. For a while there were a third SG-1 movie and an Atlantis movie planned, but they were canned around the same as Universe was cancelled. Roland Emmerich is working on a film trilogy that would be a reboot, although from what I understand he's been trying to get that project off the ground for quite a while now. Only time will tell.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Wasn't part of the reason for the third SG-1 movie and SG:A movie cancellation due to MGM going backrupt?

9. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Gate: The Next Generation.

It'll have an android and a blind guy and a Goa'uld on the team and the general will have a shrink following him around and the stargate will look bigger and slicker.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Atlantis has enough resolution for my liking. Besides, the plan for the TV movie was to have Atlantis return to the Pegasus galaxy to preside over the extinction of the Wraith. I'm fine leaving things as they were at the end of the final episode.

Honestly, the final two seasons of SG-1 feel like a "Stargate TNG" already. General Landry is the new commanding officer with a relationship with the new medical officer (although in this case, she's his daughter) and Mitchell is kind of a Riker like figure, in that being with SG-1 is his career goal, while being on the Enterprise was something Riker wanted more than his career goal of commanding a starship. Throw in Vala as Deanna, the hot alien girl with the foreign accent, and the Jaffa are now potential allies as opposed to someone to shoot at, and there you are.

11. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes,

As for Roland's rebooted trilogy I believe that is in production hell right now.

13. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Never got the love for SG-1. Didn't care for the actors; Anderson and Shanks are no Russell and Spader. M favorite iteration of Stargate was actually the novelization of the film. It added a lot of depth and richness, and I plan on finishing the series one day.

14. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I personally prefer Atlantis to SG-1, although I can appreciate the latter as a "different worlds" take on the mythology and characters from the original film.

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I personally felt Atlantis was great up until about the end of season three. After that it completely went off the rails.

16. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Just finished a big SG-1 rewatch.

Whatever comes next, TV-wise, would have to be a TNG type of thing - new cast, maybe revamped location. Trouble is, if you just go for an ocerarching Bg Bad again (Goa'uld, Ori), well, been there done that. I'm trying to think iof a unique element that could make it different. The onloy thing I can think of is a Sliders type affair, jumping from worlkd to world, not able to go home for some reason.

17. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

They kind of did that with Universe.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A more accurate comparison would be the animated Stargate Infinity, which did follow the adventures of an SG team constantly going from planet to planet without returning to Earth. Although the reason was that they were renegades on the run from Earth and didn't have an iris code to transmit through to the SGC.

19. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Yeah, I was reading about that. So the story would have to be something different to both of them.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  20. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

What about a Star Trek approach?

Now that the big bads have been crushed, the SG-1 team has disassembled: T'ealc has gone to help his people rebuild and help lead them, after centuries of Gould enslavement.
    Samantha may still be at the compound, but in some kind of scientific aspect that doesn't involve off-world travel.
    Daniel has left (maybe alltogether) to persue archeological studies; maybe off world as well.

Hammond has passed away. O'Neill retires, gets bored, kind of misses it all and comes back when offered a chance to take Hammond's place.

So, with no constant thread, we have a team (or teams) that goes from world to world on exploration. Sometimes they encounter people in need, people in trouble, and we have humanity stories -- like Star Trek.