The Voice (U.S.)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Danny99, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Good News - Cee-Lo is back

Bad News - Christina is back too.

Here's to another season.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I don't think I'm going to watch this year. It pisses me off too much when bland and schmaltzy wins over the emotionally powerful, unique risk takers.

3. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm conflicted about whether to watch this year. I don't like Christina on the show (does anyone?). The people I root for never seem to make it far and definitely don't win. I am much more interested in the rock musicians than the country or R&B artists, but they never seem to do as well. For example, my favorites in the past have been Terry McDermott and Juliet Simms. I didn't HATE last year's winner, it was just rather boring and predictable. As soon as the live shows started you could tell she would be the winner.

Basically, it seems like this show is catering to all of the demographics that don't include me.

4. Danny99

Were you one of those viewers who screamed bloody murder when Juliet was voted off? Danielle was a bland winner yes, but Juliet was nothing special.

The problem I have with the show is that they seem to go for the best "story." The guy who lost his brother at a young age, the one who had a son at 16, let's find the biggest tear jerker.

And how many people are giving up college or good paying jobs to audition? Seriously.

5. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I don't like Christina either, but I kinda do a little now since she used the first "SAVE" the last season she was on to save my sons' friend.

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I like Christina. I like all of the judges. That said, I am certainly watching this year. I prefer The Voice over any other singing competition by at least a country mile.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm calling it now, no one they showed on the first night will go on to win it all.

You already know Adam's going to make some dumb decisions that will cost a couple of his singers. I suspect Blake's powerhouse country singer will get about as far as Holly did last season, even though she's got 100 times the stage presence and charisma that Holly did.

Who knows, maybe this could be the year for CeeLo or Christina.

What's funny is how often the contestants say it's just about the voice and that's what they love about the show. But that really only applies to the blind auditions. Then after that the coaches can play their favorites until the live rounds, which then becomes a popularity contest since the public gets to vote.

8. JirinPanthosa

Last year I was rooting more for Michelle Chamuel and a few others who made the final 8. I forget her name but I think it was the 4th place finisher I wanted to win.

I was more annoyed when Danielle Bradbery pandered her way to victory than when any particular individual lost. Milking cheap sentiment. That Grandpa song made me vomit, especially when Blake said after about how it reminds him of 'When things were good'. Bleck.

I think the viewers are also too influenced by the coach's comments. It's like they don't have enough confidence in their reaction, so when the coaches are positive or negative they think, um, yeah, that's what I think too!

I wish they would do another show like Rock Star: INXS, only with a prize that doesn't suck.

Not for the Voice, but if I had an opportunity to be on Survivor or Amazing Race, or even (Much stronger version of me) American Ninja Warrior? I'd have to strongly consider it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  9. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

So far, I have not heard anyone that really wowed me and made me think they had a chance of winning. Still, its the early days. However I get the impression that this year, a lot of the good professional singers have gone over to The X-Factor instead.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  10. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I finally got to watch this...I missed Cee Lo so much!

I haven't heard anyone who I'd consider memorable yet, but there is a lot of competition to come!

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Her overt bitchiness to Melanie Martinez a couple seasons back is gonna take a lot to make up for.

12. JirinPanthosa

Sasha Allen, that was her name.

I watched the second half of the show today. Meh, it's good background noise if nothing else. I'll just be pissed if another bland blake blond wins.

13. Aragorn

Does it seem like Blake turns around for artists he doesn't want just to get into a fight with the other coaches? I wonder how much of what the coaches do comes from the showrunner.

14. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there is definitely some direction going on in their ear, it has been especially blatant the last couple nights with moments like CeeLo asking if the one dude had been in the military.

15. Aragorn

Yeah, in episode two the questions the coaches asked were clearly not something they thought of on their own, like Blake asking about a guitar or Christina asking if the singer was an actress.

16. Danny99

It's definitely going with the "let's make sure we can the saddest stories on the air" idea. They really don't need the ratings, but it seems like they are trying to grab anything.

17. Aragorn

The show has always pushed the sob story, even if it's as silly as a girl being made fun of before she got braces.

I suspect a lot of the contestants who receive the dreaded montage treatment simply don't have anything in their backstory to cry about.

18. JirinPanthosa

You can bet the producers were pissed when nobody turned around for the 16 year old with the hair disease.

19. Aragorn

The season 5 blinds were the most boring ones yet. I think season 3 was the best so far.

Lots of great voices to be sure, but for me the most interesting voice was Holly Henry, and while she can easily go far, ultimately she'll fall short.

I think a lot of country singers are gonna be shocked when Blake drops them like a rock.

20. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I agree, I don't see anyone interesting and it looks like a very level playing field. What's surprising me is The X-Factor which I've written off long ago. This year they've surprised me with two interesting contestants. If you guys have time, check out country/pop singer Rachel Potter and indie duet Alex and Sierra.