How did they know everyone left the stardrive section?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Hoshi3, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Hoshi3

Hoshi3 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not sure if there's a topic about this already, but I couldn't find any.

In Star Trek Generations, the crew had five minutes to leave the stardrive section and go to the saucer section. My question is: how did they know everyone left the stardrive section and went to the saucer section? Did they use sensors, something else or nothing at all?

Just wondering, that's all. :)

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sensors I'd imagine.

3. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

The ship was in active combat with holes being blown in the hull- I think people would be ready to make a quick exit to the Primary hull or escape pods, just waiting for the official word to book it.

EDIT
    With about a thousand people to get to safety I think the connecting doors will close at a certain time regardless if people are still left in the stardrive section or not. Personally I think they waited to long to separate since when the warp core blew it knocked the saucer out of control into the atmosphere.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  4. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Angry Fanboy

100% this.

5. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

The other thing to consider - the majority of those thousand crew members were probably already on the saucer section as that's where most of the off-duty, non-Starfleet personnel lived and resided. There was probably only a fraction of the crew in the drive section that needed to be evacuated to begin with. Along with this theory, there's probably a safer, shielded zone in the saucer that everyone had to get to - which is why we saw Geordi and Dr. Crusher shuffling people out of sickbay and down the corridors in the lead-up to the crash.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure there's a protocol to be followed. Crewmembers in charge of the evacuation might be responsible for a specific group of people, and once a crewperson sees that their group is all clear, they hit the 'button' to register that their group is safe. Once all 'buttons' have been hit, the stardrive section is confirmed as cleared.

7. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe they didn't know everyone left the stardrive section.

The warp core is gonna blow up, gotta evacuate, gotta detach the saucer and get away in minutes--with or without knowing everyone has left the stardrive section, even without an "ALL CLEAR".

Given the critical circumstances, they'd have to cut and run even if some persons were still left in the stardrive section.

8. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you listen to the Braga/Moore DVD Commentary, they state that the teddy bear the little girl Geordi is carrying drops, is a sentient life-form that is killed when the star-drive section detonates.

9. Hoshi3

Hoshi3 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the replies, I understand now. :)

10. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Poor Teddy Bear... along with Ballsack the Lizard Dog from TSFS, it is a Trek tragedy. :(

;)