Do you think I'd like Firefly?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MyCylon, Apr 10, 2008.

1. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've heard a lot about Firefly over the years (mostly positive) but I never got around to seeing it.
    I'll probably check it out sooner or later but I'm curious to know if you think I'd like it based on other shows I like or dislike. It would be great if you could give some reasons since I don't really know what to expect from Firefly.

My favorite shows (probably in this order):

- nuBSG
    - DS9
    - Babylon 5

Shows I don't like (no particular order):

- Farscape
    - ST VOY
    - ST ENT

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it were close to any of those shows I'd probably say Farscape. There's a healthy dose of humour, and both revolve around a rag-tag crew who've just fallen in together.

As far as the writing goes, it's probably better to say whether or not you like Buffy and/or Angel.

3. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

I don't see why not. A better test - assuming you're familiar with anime - would be whether or not you like Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star, which are constantly being compared to Firefly thematically.

4. balls

balls Commander Red Shirt

I'm a ST fan and I would put my favs as this: TNG, DS9, TOS, ENT and VOY. I haven't watched BSG but I'll do it when the entire series is on DVD. A friend had pushed me to watch "Firefly" and the movie: "Serenity." I actually watched the movie first, then the series. I was really pleased with both. I loved the writing in the show. I really enjoyed the characters. In the various Trek shows it seemed to take a couple of seasons for the characters to be fleshed out. In "Firefly" it seemed to happen really quick. The good/bad thing about it for you would be is that there's only 12 or 13 episodes so it wouldn't be a huge investment in your time to watch. When all was done, I was glad that I watched.

5. MyCylon

I'm not a big fan of Buffy or Angel, Angel4576. I could never get into those somehow. But then I'm not that big a fan of fantasy really.
    Concerning Farscape, one of the things that really put me off that show (among other things) was the type of aliens they had and the way they looked (yeah, I know if sound superficial but getting past that was always hard for me). Is that similar on Firefly? From the screen caps I've seen so far, I've only seen human players. Is that the way the entire show is?

Also, I'm not a big fan of anime either and unfortunately haven't seen the two you mention, Delsaber. So I can't really speak to that.

6. MyCylon

It's good in the sense that - as you say- it's not a huge investment which is why I'll probably check it out in any case at some stage.

7. The_Beef

The_Beef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Of course, there's no way to be sure what a person will or won't like, but I can say that I'm a fan of all the shows you listed under likes and I dislike everything you listed under the other column, and I love Firefly. In response to your question, there are absolutely no aliens on this show. Its really mostly about a bunch of Average Joes in space and the humor comes from normal banter between friends and rivals. I'm the same way you are with Buffy: I just didn't get into it. I can definitely see how there's a similarity in the writing style in that there's humor thrown into the action, but in this case it just fits with the characters. Rather than questions about anime or Buffy, perhaps the best question is: Do you like Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon? That is, after all, the main inspiration for the show.

Also, if you're planning to start on the series, you may want to begin with the episode Out of Gas. Due to some issues with the network, there were actually two pilots, neither one of which is that episode, but this one is the episode that establishes how the crew was put together. Its your call, though. Another way to start could possibly be with the film Serenity, since its probably easier to come by. On the other hand, its definitely the last chapter of the story, so I recommend just starting with the series if you're looking to really enjoy it.

8. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I greatly enjoyed Firefly. I suggest you give it a try. Maybe rent some episodes to see if you want to buy them.

9. MyCylon

Naturally! I'm just trying to size it up a little.

That sounds pretty good to me. Going by that as well as some other things I've heard about the show I think I probably will like it.

Yes, I do, absolutely.

I think I'd want to start with the series. I must rermember that with "Out of Gas".

The DVD set isn't too expensive, really, so I might just pick it up at some stage. They don't really have much stuff in the video rental store here, and I'm not that interested in the online rental offerings so far.

10. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I'd say just go with the DVD order. While Out of Gas is a great episode, it's so darned nonlinear that it could be confusing as an introduction.

11. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed, production/intended order is best. It's similar to the Narnia debate. Sure The Magician's Nephew describes how Narnia was created, but as a stand alone with no prior knowledge it's awful.

Flashback episodes like Out of Gas work because you already know the characters and are now learning their backstory. Starting with Out of Gas loses all of that.

12. Haytil

Haytil Captain Captain

It's available for completely free, legal streaming on hulu.com. Why don't you just watch the pilot episode and judge for yourself?

13. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see where you're coming from, but while I LOVED Firefly, I could never just get into Farscape.

It's a matter of opinion of course, but I feel there was a warmth to the interpersonal relationships in Firefly that was missing in Farscape, sometimes they seemed downright mean to each other on Farscape, and the whole universe never coalesced for me, there seemed to be no set of rules it played by, which was both a strength and a detriment I think.

As to the OP's question, really the only way you'll know is to watch the show, I'd never liked a Whedon show before Firefly, but I think it's one of the most important sci-fi shows in recent history. There's not much else you can compare Firefly to, because the things that are comparable in tone or setup generally fail miserably.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Although I love Farscape, I don't really equate it with Firefly. Their styles are very, very different. As for worrying about strange aliens, don't. Firefly is a 'dead' universe similar to nuBSG's--there aren't any aliens to speak of.

The tone may be a little off-putting at first, but you'll get used to it. I rather like the series, though I could go without some of the vociferous fans. I dislike the movie, but your mileage may vary. Just make sure you watch it in the DVD order.

15. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know.

But I love it.

Watch it and judge for yourself.

16. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Not to pick on you or anything and you have your opinions and I'm fine with them it's just lumping Farscape in with Ent and Voy just seems wrong somehow.

17. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Firefly would suck, boy was I wrong. It's really good. Not as good as SF literature, but a damn sight better than a lot, if not most TV SF. Save Serenity for last.

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

FWIW, going into Serenity with a friend who'd never seen the series before I made sure I had time to show him the 2-hour pilot and Out of Gas first. The pilot does a good job of setting up the show (and has elements pertinent to Serenity), plus you get to see howw the "newer" people join the crew. OoG does an awesome job of showing how the original crew was established, plus is often considered the best episode of the series.

If I knew then what I know now, I might have also suggested seeing Bushwhacked prior to Serenity because of certain story elements it either fleshes out or hints at.

19. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Odd. Even when I hated Farscape, I loved the alien look. It's what eventually got me around to trying the show again. The muppets; the makeup and prosthetics, the weird interior of Moya - all fantastic. It's one of the best looking space opera TV shows around, IMHO. Love the show now; what it's good at it's great at. :)

Anyway, I don't care for Firefly (or Bebop, while we're on the topic) and was never really a BSG fan of either stripe. So I guess you might like it.

20. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

No I think you'd hate it

No, ;) I don't know. All I can say is try it, you can get the DVD pretty cheap nowadays

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008