Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 4, 2010.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

At least it's not Nicholas Cage. ;)

[​IMG]

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Manganiello's got the right look for the part. Is he any good?

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

He's pretty good on True Blood, but he doesn't have much depth as an actor. Then again, the role on that show basically requires him to be a stoic, brooding, one-note sort of actor, so perhaps he could give the role of Superman more dimension if he was allowed.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Keep in mind that Brandon Routh was pretty much a complete unknown when he was cast and that is what really set off most of his critics after the movie came out I believe. At least in this case Joe is known somewhat, at least to "True Blood" fans.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reeve was pretty much a complete unknown to the general public (he'd done a soap opera role) and the only effect that had on the critics was to impress them.

What's the weekly viewership on True Blood?

Which is not really relevant, anyway - unknown is probably best. If an actor's good, they're good.

I notice in an interview about Unstoppable that Chris Pine is taking a very level-headed approach to his current celebrity - he's enjoying being able to pick and choose what he does, with the caveat that he doesn't expect it to necessarily last forever.

6. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I can see the Rock as a villain but not Supes & Cena would make a great Booster Gold not Supes.

Joe Manganiello would be great. I just remember him from Spider-man & One Tree Hill...haven't seen True Blood.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That was the best part about Routh. You want to see Superman, and not "that dude from True Blood".

8. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    No one is going to say that. :lol:

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Also, Reeves worked as well as he did because he was an actual trained actor from Julliard's and everything. So while he was unknown he at least had a good background in acting.

10. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course they were afraid to actually let him act in the film. I mean, I want superman to speak a little.

11. Admiral_Young

^Huh? Are you referring to Routh? Superman spoke to Lois. He spoke to Luthor. He spoke to Jason. He spoke to Richard. Clark had most of the speaking lines. I'm fine with that.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think Singer is trying to save face without poisoning his relationship with WB.

13. Admiral_Young

It's not really surprising. He's directing "Jack the Giant Killer" for them right now, which I'm looking forward to.

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

He spoke in a monotone. I believe Singer was afraid to actually let him act, to let him seize the role. I mean, he really didn't speak much throughout the film, and, when he did, you could barely hear him.

Many scenes he didn't speak.

And he had no emotion at all, unless brooding can be considered an emotion.

Reeve was, to be sure, perfect. He brought so much to the role, pride, resoluteness, power, concern, and dignity. I loved how he acted by not speaking; when faced with a new crisis, you can see him thinking about how to solve it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  15. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy crap. I didn't know Joe Manganiello was Flash Thompson in Spider-Man!

16. Admiral_Young

I think Brandon did just fine and Bryan did nothing but praise his performance and support him. The script just happened to be written without Superman having much to say. I seriously doubt it had anything to do with Singer not wanting him to act. That seems like something a disgruntled Returns fan would say to be honest.

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

To be fair, Routh kind of seem unexpressive in his other roles too.

18. Admiral_Young

He was terrific in "Zach and Miri" same with his role in "Chuck" and fantastic as Todd Ingram in "Scott Pilgrim".

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I was really hoping they could get Brandon on Smallville as Eradicator or Mon-El. :shrug:

20. Admiral_Young

Me too. I think he'd be awesome as Mon-El. I think Eradicator would have been too hard for them to Smallvilleize.